Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images

TX>Willis>Lone Star Trail>21-23 Feb

This is the "official" thread for this. I'll definitely be going and we've got a couple of 90%'s.

If you're come to hike with us, just to camp, or to get silly, post here.

General plan is to meet at Parking Lot #6

http://lonestartrail.org/maps/simple/02kelly.pdf

on Friday and then shuttle over to Parking Lot #3 and hike back (approx 7 3/4miles). Shuttle might happen Friday night or Saturday morning depending on continuing conversation in this post (I lean towards Saturday AM as the hike should be a maximum of 6 hours).

Die hards or those doing serious training for long distance hikes can shuttle over to Parking Lot #1, which would make the hike 16 1/2 miles, or Parking Lot #2 which would make the hike 13 1/2 miles.

http://lonestartrail.org/maps/simple/01wilderness.pdf

Either way, we'll all be around a campfire 1/2 mile from Parking Lot#6 for Saturday night. Hurricane Cove is a place of mysterious and eerie happenings that have been reported by people who can be trusted implicitly to tell the truth about what happens in the woods. Honest. I mean, I swear.

Pics of the trail from PL#6 to Hurricane Cove can be seen here:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=73024

Images of Hurricane Cove from the web:

Hammock
    HH
    Tarp
    diy multicam hex
    Insulation
    working on it
    Suspension
    DIY WS & TS
    ok, things look real good for us. weather permitting we will head that way Saturday morning. We only have 4 sleeping bags for three of us. The little ones would need all for uq/tq. All other gear I think we have covered thanks to scouting and you tube. Moving forward. We got our last HH in today. Couldn't wait to set it up. Momma said we had to wait till after dinner. Minus camping gear what do you bring to a hang. Is it a BYO stuff, is there a community bring? Adult beverages are a must in the woods around a campfire. What is the trick to keeping it cold. Lots of questions.

Hammock
    HH
    Tarp
    diy multicam hex
    Insulation
    working on it
    Suspension
    DIY WS & TS
    hurricane cove. from parking lot #6,roughly .5 miles n/nw to the waters edge. according to your description. Is it the same as stubble field according to your map?

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Correct, the Saturday campsite (and Friday campsite if enough folks want to shuttle over to PL #3 on Saturday AM) is +/- .5 miles NNW of PL #6 at the waters edge, and in the surrounding area. Maps will not call it "Hurricane Cove" as that's a name Spaceweaseal and Cookiecoon gave it after spending a night out there in a bit of a wind. There are maps that will call it a "primitive campsite".

Stubblefield Campground is about three trail miles north of Hurricane Cove. Its a developed fee for stay campsite with sanitary services, picnic tables and fire rings. I've not hiked that portion of the trail, but I'm told its good, and it might be possible for some folks to stay in Stubblefield and hike into Hurricane Cove on Friday or Saturday night to sit round the campfire for a while and night hike back.

The trail from the campsite to Stubblefield recreation area is a easy hike. It might be alitte muddy in some areas if there is any rain but those areas are easy to navigate around. Plp can hike that area to Stubblefield and back to camp and its right at 7 1/4 miles round trip. I did it a couple weeks ago with a full winter load in about 3hrs and that was with a long lunch break at Hurricane Cove.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Maccat/gheto diy
    Insulation
    pads/PLUQ
    Suspension
    diy straps
    Big maybe. Depending on my work situation.

Hammock
    Kammok Roo
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I am definitely going to try to attend. This will be a great chance to test out my new gear. Also going to tell my friends so might be able to bring a few of them along.

Hammock
    NX250, Envy, Appalachian
    Tarp
    one with doors
    Insulation
    UGQ down
    Suspension
    straps & Dutch's
    I'm in. I'll take Friday off and get there in the afternoon. I'll hang around until I recognize someone, or if you see a big blue F350 w/dualies, that's me. step up and say howdy!

Right now I've got a 40* TQ, and a 5* TQ + various sleeping bags. I've only got one UQ unless UGQ comes through with my 40* before then. I've also got several hammocks if anyone needs one and if you're shy of cookware I've got enough of that for a small army.

Looking forward to this one and will being my day pack.
    Remember...no matter where you go...there you are.

"I have said that Texas is a state of mind, but I think it is more than that. It is a mystique closely approximating a religion". - John Steinbeck

I will for sure be there early Saturday morning.
    I put a request into the warden for that Friday as well but I have been escaping a lot lately so she wants to keep me on lockdown. I think if I stay on good behavior for the next month then I might get that request.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I was thinking last night. Might be we could do a key exchange instead of a shuttle, that might help Spaceweaseal out if he shows up after some of us leave for the Saturday hike.

Basically, one or two folks start off from the campsite and hike west, a couple others go over to Parking Lot #3 and hike east. When the groups meet, somebody from the eastbound group hands their car keys to somebody in the westbound group and they drive that car back when they get to PL#3.

This way, the folks who want an early start can go ahead and go without waiting on Spaceweaseal (or me, cuz we all know it might take me a bit longer than everybody else to pack in the AM) or figuring out a shuttle, and nobody has to drive back to Parking Lot 3 for their car.

Whaddya guys think?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast