Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

how big of a hex tarp can I get out of 6 yards?

I've got 6 yards of 64" 1.4oz Nylon ripstop (from THIS link; http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Woodland...item2a361e26ba

and well, I am thinking maybe I bought too little yardage...if I make it 9 ft long rectangle-ish...unless I do a diamond...then I found this thread;
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=33492...

it got me to thinking, maybe a Hex cut would do me better, and give me a 12-13 ft ridgeline?

I see the patterns are for 60"-62" but I'm curious about 64" wide.... there seems to be a definite edge to this material, I will take a picture of the material later tonight, that does not seem to be good for sewing, it has markings ( 1-4 or 5 in circles) and a rather visible end of the dying and weaving around 1/4" from the edge....

it was only $3 a yard...got 6 yards....I figure if I roll hems and stitch to 62" material, I would still have just over 10 ft on one side and just under 9 feet on the other, if in rectangle shape, but I'm intrigued by the hex tarp design...

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Not to point out the obvious (and it doesn't answer your question), but you do know that the material you linked to isn't waterproof, right? Probably not good tarp material.

Though it would probably make a decent hammock.

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    lol; I know it's not waterproof; I plan on doing the DIY Silnylon treatment after sewing it together.....

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    With six yards, you will be less than 9 feet on the RL after hems. IMO that's not enough coverage. As stated above, the material you linked to is not waterproof, so you would have seal it somehow. May be more trouble than it's worth. I would just use it for some other project. DIY Gear Supply has PU coated 70D fabric that is great for a tarp and it's only around $4 a yard, I believe. To make a decent tarp, you would need at least 7 yards. $28 is pretty cheap. Just my opinion.
    RON

A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

Visit my Youtube channel- Florida Wild

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    they don't seem to have the color I am looking for, or the pattern (green dominant woodland)... I would like to learn how to make my own Sil-nylon though...and having purchased the material already...well; that was why I am intrigued by the idea of a diagonally seamed hex tarp that used 6 yards of 62" wide material...

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoDeafie82 View Post
    lol; I know it's not waterproof; I plan on doing the DIY Silnylon treatment after sewing it together.....
    Oh good. Just checking.

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Didn't read the whole thread you linked and I imagined it was mentioned about the bias, but looks like a good use of fabric.

Your ridgeline will be on the bias of the material, which will make it floppy. The side will pitch tight just fine. I have a couple true diamonds with a bias cut ridgeline. One protected me in a GA summer thunderstorm and the worst deluge I've ever camped in. I have no regrets and its my summer go to tarp, only because its smaller and offers less coverage and I have a hex I like to use in the other months.

There is a video in post 22 showing the ridgeline.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=21172
    KCCO

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by nacra533 View Post
    Didn't read the whole thread you linked and I imagined it was mentioned about the bias, but looks like a good use of fabric.

Your ridgeline will be on the bias of the material, which will make it floppy.
    what's interesting is that I have hung an army poncho on the diagonal, (bias) and there were no floppyness, it is the same type of base material as what I am using, just coated with PU as opposed to my clearly uncoated material.
    Mind you, there was a hood and head hole in the middle, so I'm not sure of the lack of floppiness from the material, we shall have to see. I am prepared for this material to not be as taut as some other tarps, but I have also seen in the thread that they were OK for the most part.....and since I use a poly...I've accepted a degree of floppiness from tarps lol. (being I'm deaf, I don't care about noises when sleeping...)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoDeafie82 View Post
    [...]and well, I am thinking maybe I bought too little yardage...if I make it 9 ft long rectangle-ish...unless I do a diamond...then I found this thread;
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=33492...

it got me to thinking, maybe a Hex cut would do me better, and give me a 12-13 ft ridgeline?
    I participated in that thread, and sewed up a tarp from 15' of 64" wide material creating a rather ungainly tarp that was more than 14' long at the ridgeline and a narrow 7' wide. That didn't work out too well, as the extreme length made it all but impossible to keep close to the hammock.

I went back to the drawing board with another 64" x 15' piece and came out with a hex tarp that provided 7'-7" width with an 11' 5" ridgeline that has worked out pretty well. The new cut pattern changed the tarp to an asymetric layout which has been interesting. The bottom edges of the tarp are shifted towards the head and foot ends on either side of the ridgeline. This works with a diagonal lie to maximize your coverage for the available fabric. The pitch of the tarp still seems to work out just fine, but I haven't had it out in any measurable rainfall to test it.

With 18' of 64" wide fabric you can produce an asymetric hex tarp with 8' 3" width and an 12' 6" ridgeline. Seams and hems will shorten each by a bit. The asymetric offsets at the bottom edges of the tarp shift the 6' 3" long edge by 7" towards the head and foot ends on opposide sides of the ridgeline.

I can print a PDF of the cutting layout and the tarp layout and send it to you if you are interested. Just send me your e-mail by PM.
    Last edited by OneEye; 01-16-2014 at 13:27. Reason: error in available fabric length

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nacra533 View Post

Your ridgeline will be on the bias of the material, which will make it floppy. The side will pitch tight just fine. I have a couple true diamonds with a bias cut ridgeline. One protected me in a GA summer thunderstorm and the worst deluge I've ever camped in. I have no regrets and its my summer go to tarp, only because its smaller and offers less coverage and I have a hex I like to use in the other months.

There is a video in post 22 showing the ridgeline.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=21172
    Direct link to nacra533's post with the videos

I can second Nacra533's mention of the ridgeline being on the bias. My tarp definitely benefits from a continuous ridgeline underneath it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast