Wilderness Logics Light Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down SB, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

UQP or Sock Instructions?

I'm looking to add some warmth and wind protection to my set-up. Would like to take my 20 degree UQ and 30 degree SB which I've used to 25 degrees, down to the mid-teens.
    Thinking of either a Sock or UQP. I have some 48" wide 1.1 uncoated ripstop and some 1.6 60" uncoated rs on the way. Would either be good for these purposes?

Sock or UQP?

If I decide to go the sock route can anyone offer instructions or measurements for an 11' hammock with a 108" ridgeline?
    Thinking of basically making a big stuff sack leaving a small hole in one end for suspension and a drawstring channel in the other and maybe cutting down the foot end to make it a bit narrower.

I've done some searching and don't find any DIY instructions but maybe that's because it's dead simple and I'm overthinking. It happens.

Thanks for any help.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Look for instructions for bugnets and use those to make your sock. There's the sock style just like what you're talking about, the Fronkey style which has a bottom entry, the TED style which is top entry and the SEEP style which is side entry. Then there are zippered options. But you can make one using any of the instructions for bugnets. I personally have the TED style.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    This was a tube style fleece sock that had an 8" snap closure on the foot end, then tapered down along the hammock line to a depth of about 48", then ran for 5' and went back up to a 3' diameter opening with a shock cord closure. That allowed for it to be pulled down along the hammock if I wanted more ventilation or even all the way back to have it off. Modeled after Dream Hammock's sock, but did the taper as opposed to the 54" head end. Even with the taper, it was heavy and not to my liking. I had done one in the Fronkey style and it was huge.
    Pix are on an 11 foot hammock.

I've done others out of ripstop and poly fabric, but came to the conclusion that I don't like socks and went back to the simple drape over with 60" fleece tapered at the foot that I started out with. Tucks into my UQP and over the UQ. This rig is for winter and the summer one is 1.1 ripstop.

Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It is not simple. Here is some light reading for you, from some people who are really good at this.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=54206
    I love the unimproved works of God. - Horace Kephart

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JLeephoto View Post
    If I decide to go the sock route can anyone offer instructions or measurements for an 11' hammock with a 108" ridgeline? ...

Thanks for any help.
    Some of the clearest instructions and best experience can be found at Just Jeff's Hiking Page. You'll find LOTS of info and instructions under the Homemade Gear tab. CLICK HERE

Just Jeff's webpage is the bible of hammock hanging and DIY gear as far as I'm concerned. Best of luck to you!!!!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyRay View Post
    It is not simple. Here is some light reading for you, from some people who are really good at this.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=54206

What you're linking to goes far beyond just a sock. It also has waterproof components so that a separate tarp can be eliminated. It's basically a sock and tarp combined into one. That drastically increases condensation issues and is a whole other animal. A normal breathable sock is far simpler. And with venting, which can be achieved in different ways depending on which style, condensation issues are easily managed.

Mine is based on Pipsissewa's bug net. It's more like a pita than a sock. I didn't put the ridgecap on mine so it is open along the top. I don't get as much temp increase as I would if it had a cap, but I have had zero condensation issues and it provides great wind protection and still gives me a nice temp boost.

The more sealed up your sock is and the less breathable your material is the more issues you'll have with condensation. But it can be managed with proper venting and breathable materials. So don't use silnylon or cuben fiber for the whole thing and make sure there is a way for the vapor your body produces to get out and you'll be fine.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    And yes, either of your ripstops will be good for it. The uncoated will be more breathable and will help reduce condensation, but will have less wind resistance. And the coated will have better wind resistance but will be less breathable and therefore will need better venting than the uncoated.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    This was my winter research project this year and I found that the use of a sock exceeded my expectation. More than 20 nights in - 65F to 28F and windy - I'm impressed.
    Next I want to try what SnrMoment concluded to above - UQP and a simple drape over.
    Whatever you do, it should be breathable.
    If interested:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...0&postcount=26
    I started with Just Jeff's sock 2.0 design, but I like to camp 'not enclosed' and Tyvek interested me so:
    - I made a soft tyvek breathable sock that went from shoulders down, with a drawstring at the shoulders. This was made for a 8 1/2 ft by 48" hammock but I used it more on my 11 foot X 60" hammock.
    How I made it: P.S. For the 11'X60" hammock the sock should be 1 foot wider and 1 1/2 foot longer.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...0&postcount=17
    Last edited by oldpappy; 01-19-2014 at 10:30.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Light Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down SB, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for all the advice. I was having trouble finding sock designs/diminsions with the search features here but there is a wealth of info on Bugnets, so I will start there.

For clarification, I'm not trying to replace my tarp, just add some warmth, wind protection, and maybe some resistance to rain splatter on my UQ. It should be easy on/off and be fairly light.

It sounds like a Fronkey or TED style sock of uncoated ripstop should work for these purposes. I might even go with draping it over the ridgeline like a blanket with something like snaps down the vertical sides and a drawstring in the bottom to cinch it under the UQ.

Thanks again for all the leads on making this project.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    What you're linking to goes far beyond just a sock. It also has waterproof components so that a separate tarp can be eliminated. It's basically a sock and tarp combined into one. That drastically increases condensation issues and is a whole other animal. A normal breathable sock is far simpler. And with venting, which can be achieved in different ways depending on which style, condensation issues are easily managed.

Mine is based on Pipsissewa's bug net. It's more like a pita than a sock. I didn't put the ridgecap on mine so it is open along the top. I don't get as much temp increase as I would if it had a cap, but I have had zero condensation issues and it provides great wind protection and still gives me a nice temp boost.

The more sealed up your sock is and the less breathable your material is the more issues you'll have with condensation. But it can be managed with proper venting and breathable materials. So don't use silnylon or cuben fiber for the whole thing and make sure there is a way for the vapor your body produces to get out and you'll be fine.
    I agree.

It's not a simple sock. The thread I referenced does have some good information on shaping the bottom part of the sock. And hangnout is a professional hammock designer. It's worth a read. I plan to make a sock using mostly no-see-um, using hangnout's method of using shock cord to elevate the netting to about the ridgeline. I can't afford cuben fiber, and no-see-um is very breathable .
    I love the unimproved works of God. - Horace Kephart

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast