DH Sparrow Hyper D XL
    Tarp
    JRB 12x10 Univrsl
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Side pullout retrofit question

Y'all are going to get a hoot out of this one. I love my ENO Double Nest and I have been using it through hunting season this year, stealth camping deep in the national forest. A BullFrog tarp is next. I'll sleep in the hammock into May on my fishing trips, but by Labor Day weekend it is just too hot AND HUMID for this old man to stay in one. Going fishing and sweating all day…AND ALL NIGHT is not an option. Not going fishing is definitely not an option either. This area of East Texas inland from the coast is second only to New Orleans in its discomfort level due to our high temperatures, but mainly due to our constant 80-90 percent humidity. I did it when I was a younger man. But being older now, you learn to adapt. At 57 I have found ways to go light and still be comfortable. Relatively light. Light for boat camping. When it gets hot I revert back over to the tentcot, and I need to retrofit side pullouts on it for a modification, hence this thread. Why am I modifying a tentcot with tarp hardware? Some background info would help:

I fish 110,000 acre, 50 mile long Sam Rayburn, most days until after dark, for crappie, then beach the boat and stealth hammock camp in the Angelina National Forest, miles from any other campers. However, in the Texas heat I go with the tentcot. I put a 6000btu window air conditioner on top of an ice chest up against the side where it blows in the side door. I connect that to my 2000 watt Honda generator. Yeah, I know…only down South, RIGHT? But I digress…

It only turns enough rpms to put out the watts demanded, and with the A/C on low the demand is low, as are the rpms...it hardly makes any noise. Barely a hum at fifty yards, and I sleep like a baby in its white noise. I freeze instead of sweat. It takes a while for your core temp to drop, but when it does it gets cold in there. It’s nice to be pulling on cover during the summer instead of throwing it off.

I need the pullouts to better configure the tentcot's door material fitment around the A/C. There is not enough slack in its design to use the tie-on type of pullouts, and the clip-on type won't work for what I am planning. I could have some sewn on, but that would require that I dismantle it, something I'd rather avoid if non-sew pullout options are available. What are my non-sew options, if any?

By the way, the hammocks are an absolute hit with most of the fishermen who see them. We will fish until about 12-1p.m., lunch and swim to cool off, then get in the hammocks soaking wet straight from the water. It soaks the hammock and the evaporation helps cool it for a while. If the wind is blowing even a little it can get chilly. We sleep through the heat of the afternoon, and then catch the late afternoon bite. The quality of rest we get in the hammocks transcends that which we previously got laying on the boat deck, and our afternoon results have improved as we are no longer Post Toasties anymore, but rather refreshed fishermen ready for Round 2. The comments I have overheard from the boats that fish through are mostly of the "That's a good idea...I'm gonna’ get me one" variety. We are the envy of some very hot, very sweaty fishermen. In that heat, they’d pay over retail if they could get one right then.
    Last edited by Tonykarter; 01-19-2014 at 00:08.
    Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations. When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Dutch has clip-on tarp pullouts that should work for what you want!

You can play with where to put them until you get it right.

http://dutchwaregear.com/tarp-and-quilt-stuff/

Hammock
    DH Sparrow Hyper D XL
    Tarp
    JRB 12x10 Univrsl
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I looked at those before posting this thread. I don't have the luxury of spare material to gather enough for those to be able to work. In lieu of a pullout I'm thinking of trying to secure 6" of cord where I need the pullout: maybe burn/heat serge two small holes approx. 3mm apart through the nylon fabric. Stick 3" of cord through each from the inside and seal it some way. Anyone know where I could get some 2-3" nylon circle patches, preferably already with adhesive? I'd glue them over the cord/holes on the inside and seal the outside somehow. McGyver. In the end, it always falls to McGyver skills.
    Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations. When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin

• + New Posts