Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

Hanging and sleep apnea....

Anybody with this medical condition sleep in a hammock on a REGULAR basis?
    Just curious for a co-worker quizzing about it.
    Benefits? Risks?
    Thanks!
    MM

Images
    These might help..

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=64029

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=45821

The biggest problem I have is a power source while camping. I use a "jump starter" battery source. Another problem this time of the year is pumping very cold air into your mask, after a while you freeze your nose....Some of the newer machines have heated hoses, but that uses even more power..
    Talmadge
    "GroundHog"

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Dang it, I just saw an ad in the paper for a new battery powered unit and I meant to check it out. Forgot and threw the paper away.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Two thoughts I had. 1) I think most of us do less moving around in a hammock so potentially less issues with waring a mask. 2) The downside is that for most people, their sleep apnea is worst when they are on their back. Granted that's what you have the CPAP on for.

Hammock
    Hennessey Safari
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9 or 12
    Insulation
    UGQ under quilt
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    get one of these and never look back to the cpap machine

https://puresleep.com/s30/homepage.php

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Anybody with this medical condition sleep in a hammock on a REGULAR basis?
    Just curious for a co-worker quizzing about it.
    Benefits? Risks?
    Thanks!
    MM
    My conditions was diagnosed as "severe" little over a year ago. Family had been bugging me for some time to get the sleep study done.

I sleep outdoors in a hammock full time. March will be a year. Prior to that it was frequent but not full time.

Thoughts, getting the equipment managed just takes some trial and error. A little fiddling and it is handled. I prefer hanging the CPAP machine in a mesh bag suspended from the ridgeline and secured to the hammock end.

Most of the time I have been using a WBBB or XLC, though many nights have been spent in a GT double or DIY tablecloth.

I use a battery pack secured in a waterproof bag also suspended via attachment to the ridgeline.

That's the background and logistics.

Experience has provided lessons in condensation, you can do few things to manage it but not much, sometimes you just get a lot of water in the mask. Has never created an issue with breathing, just the annoying sensation as it seeps out of the mask. Which brings up another concern, cleaning the tube and mask are imperative when outdoors using a CPAP. It is normal maintenance but cannot be overlooked when outdoors.

The angle of a hammock does raise your head more than using a pillow in a bed. That creates more of a chin to chest configuration which will restrict airflow so getting as flat a lie as possible is important. Once on the diagonal a pillow that supports the back of the neck but not so much the back of the head really helps straighten out the airway passage.

I am now "well treated" by the CPAP, it has made an amazingly positive impact n my quality of life and the hammocking has not had a negative effect.

Tomorrow I will have my annual review where my breathing data is analyzed and The doc will give me the definitive word. Only positives comments are anticipated but I will update after appointment.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Great responses from all,thanks. I will (and have already) passed on the information. This guy is not a hiker/camper but is thinking for home use.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL & 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB SF, WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hey MM, I would tell your co-worker to get a sleep study done if they haven't already. I have been wearing a CPAP for several years now. I never want to go without mine. I knew that I snored but I didn't know I had sleep apnea. My wife told me one morning that I scared her during the night because I would stop breathing. She said she would kick me or shake me and I would gasp and start breathing again. So I went for a sleep study and was told that I stopped breathing 31 times in one hour. I couldn't believe it.

Advise your friend that if they are prescribed a CPAP to give it an honest try. A lot of people get one but don't wear it but a night or two and they chunk it in the closet and won't wear it. Yes it feels strange at first because it is something new. It gets better after wearing it I promise. I think if folks will wear it like they are supposed to every night for 2 weeks or so they will be accustomed to it and will get to where the mask doesn't bother them at all. It's like anything new to us, we have to get use to it and the way to do that is by wearing it.

There are different types of masks/ devices used for CPAP. There are full-faced masks which cover the mouth and nose, nasal masks which cover only the nose, and there are what's called nasal pillows which are just tubes that blow the air into the nose. The pillows still require a head harness to hold them in place but there's nothing covering your mouth or nose.

The technicians at the store will work with your co-worker to help them decide which device is best for them. Sorry for the long winded post but I just wish everyone would give the CPAP a chance. They will most likely be like me and not want to ever go without it if they will. Sleep apnea greatly increases your chances for heart attack and strokes. Most people who wear CPAP will tell you that they feel so much better and well rested after wearing the CPAP for a while. I hope this helps some other hangers out there.
    Hello from Lookout Mountain in N.E. Alabama,home of Little River Canyon National Preserve- The deepest gorge East of the Mississippi.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Klymit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I just got back from a weekend winter hammock hang where I used my cpap machine. It's a PR System 1 Remstar and I bought a Li Ion battery pack that'll last 3 nights. The CPAP hangs from the ridgeline back behind my head until it's ready to be deployed. Then I slide it to the middle of the hammock and put on the mask. I was at around -12C this weekend without much issue. However, at 0F and colder, it's really difficult to tolerate the cold air being forced in. Some sort of preheater would be nice but I haven't figured out that problem to my satisfaction yet. I'm going on a cold weather hang in February and, after much thought I won't be taking the CPAP. It's just a little too much fiddling when its ultra cold out.

I asked my doctor about the oral appliance. He said that it's only an option for mild apnea. My AHI is 117 (i.e. I stop breathing and wake myself up twice per minute) so I'm "severe" and the only option is CPAP.
    A lotta ins... lotta outs... lotta what-have-you's

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Saw the pulmonologist today.
    100% compliance...meaning I have used it every day.

All is well.
    We discussed the hammock and sleeping outdoors full time.

She had no issues with it and the 10 months of data while being in the hammock outdoors confirmed her thoughts.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

• + New Posts