Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

What is with my suddenly gigantic pics?

I was trying to post some pics of a hike/hand today. I took the pics with my iPone 5 as I often do. Nothing special, just point and shoot.

When I got home, I followed my usual procedure of copying the pics from the iPhone to my win 7 computer and deleted them from the phone. They looked normal on the phone, and they all appear normal on my computer screen. But after uploading to and viewing on HF, they all are blown way up so that only a very small portion can be viewed without scrolling.

I am going to put one in this post, again in my usual manner, just to see if it will still be unusable after that last step:

OK, it shows up in a normal thumb nail view, but when I click on the pic it is still huge.

Can any one tell me why this is happening only after uploading to and viewing in HF, and if there is any correction I can make to make them normal size after I have already uploaded them?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I was trying to post some pics of a hike/hand today. I took the pics with my iPone 5 as I often do. Nothing special, just point and shoot.

When I got home, I followed my usual procedure of copying the pics from the iPhone to my win 7 computer and deleted them from the phone. They looked normal on the phone, and they all appear normal on my computer screen. But after uploading to and viewing on HF, they all are blown way up so that only a very small portion can be viewed without scrolling.

I am going to put one in this post, again in my usual manner, just to see if it will still be unusable after that last step:

OK, it shows up in a normal thumb nail view, but when I click on the pic it is still huge.

Can any one tell me why this is happening only after uploading to and viewing in HF, and if there is any correction I can make to make them normal size after I have already uploaded them?
    You have uploaded a 3,264px × 2,448px photo. That is huge for the web.
    Can you set your camera to take picts in 800 to 1024 range?
    Or use a software program to make them smaller before up loading. The larges photo's I post are 800x600

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Inc 0º, UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speedhooks
    Better yet, use Tapatalk HD to post them. It gives three size options when you post them.

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    irfanview when they're on your puter.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    My browser will auto re-size large photos to fit in the screen when viewing various sites. I am wondering if this might be the issue your having.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Interesting. When you go to "Upload Pictures" it says,

Maximum File Size per Picture 97.7 KB
    Maximum Picture Dimensions 600 by 600 Pixels

"Pictures will be automatically resized to fit within these constraints if possible. However, you may receive better results by doing it manually."

Sounds like automatic resizing may have worked in the past but doesn't now.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DD Camping
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    TAR Prolite 3/4
    Suspension
    S, DC, MSH, W, DR
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    You have uploaded a 3,264px × 2,448px photo. That is huge for the web.
    Can you set your camera to take picts in 800 to 1024 range?
    Or use a software program to make them smaller before up loading. The larges photo's I post are 800x600
    I wouldn't recommend lowering the resolution on your camera. The iPhone makes great photos if you take the small lens into consideration, and taking smaller pictures means taking lower quality pictures, which would be a shame.

You'd best use a photo sharing service, like Flickr or photobucket. They have good sharing options where you can select the size and grab the link or forum code. Real easy.:-)
    Still getting the hang of it

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    MrClean417 got it right. Irfanview is free and great for viewing, changing, resizing or cropping a small number of pictures. Will also give a thumbnail of all the pictures in a folder. If you take pictures large you get the detail that you can crop down to or print/project. Downsize for posting and do a save as with a new name and the original file stays intact. I usually just add sm to the end of the file name so I can keep track of pics. Easy peasy once you have done a couple.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lijn View Post
    I wouldn't recommend lowering the resolution on your camera. The iPhone makes great photos if you take the small lens into consideration, and taking smaller pictures means taking lower quality pictures, which would be a shame.

You'd best use a photo sharing service, like Flickr or photobucket. They have good sharing options where you can select the size and grab the link or forum code. Real easy.:-)
    I do agree lowering the picture size for trip reports is a bad thing however many picts used on this forum are just how to's or examples of a setup.
    When I am taking picts for stuff like that I always set my camera to capture at 800x600 just to keep the file size small.
    I also prefer a flicker account where you can select pict many picture sizes.

Hammock
    DD Camping
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    TAR Prolite 3/4
    Suspension
    S, DC, MSH, W, DR
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I do agree lowering the picture size for trip reports is a bad thing however many picts used on this forum are just how to's or examples of a setup.
    When I am taking picts for stuff like that I always set my camera to capture at 800x600 just to keep the file size small.
    I also prefer a flicker account where you can select pict many picture sizes.
    True. But I always forget to change it back. And then that ultimate hang photo you made turns out to be stamp - sized.
    I like the setups that still work when you're brain dead, hence my Flickr account :-)
    Still getting the hang of it

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast