Hennessey Deep Jungle Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Explorer Ultralite
    Insulation
    NeoAir/ENO HotSpot
    Suspension
    Whoopie w/Toggles

Is Premethrin OK on silnylon

I have used Sawyer Premethrin on my clothes for a while, but never on my gear. I am taking another trip in the Q this summer where the mosquitoes can get really bad. It sounds like you can use it is safe to use on silnylon, but would like to know if anyone has experienced any adverse affects on the gear.

Hammock
    DIY D.L. Hammock, Eagle Nest pro
    Tarp
    Kelty12',9' & SF
    Insulation
    Down UnderQuilt
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Not sure.. but might not stick to the Silnylon. Due to its construction.. It needs to absorb into the fibers.

since, the carrier of the product is water..
    " Taking the gun off safety increases the velocity by 100% "

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    I'm sure there was a thread on this subject in the summer past, not 100% sure but I think the consensus was that it wasn't a good idea. Someone with more knowledge than me will hopefully chime in, or even better... know where the other thread is

Images
    Yes you can and yes it does. You have to really soak it down but it will work. I don't use it on my tarp but definitely on my hammock and pretty much everything else. I hate the deet stuff on my person so I use Picaridin (not even spelling that right I'm sure) as it is less toxic, works just as well and won't ruin my gear.

I bought a concentrate of Permethrin and I mix it in a bucket and baptize my clothing. Once done, I can put what remains in a sprayer and do the hammock and pack and then any left over goes around the house. Multi purpose at it's best.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I'm assuming your hammock is not made of silnylon, so you're asking about putting it on your tarp? Or am I wrong? I'm not sure what benefit that would gain you. Putting it on your bugnet should be fine, but I wouldn't want to put it on my hammock, if that's what you're asking about. That's just me, but I wouldn't want that stuff making contact with my skin.
    Hammeck - Hammocks, stands, and accessories, made by the Meck family.

Like us on Facebook!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by meckelangelo View Post
    I'm assuming your hammock is not made of silnylon, so you're asking about putting it on your tarp? Or am I wrong? I'm not sure what benefit that would gain you. Putting it on your bugnet should be fine, but I wouldn't want to put it on my hammock, if that's what you're asking about. That's just me, but I wouldn't want that stuff making contact with my skin.
    Pretty much my take on it's use also. The bugnet is all I treat of my hammock kit as everything else is inside the net. Except that all of my clothing gets a good soaking. Once dry I'm assuming it is safe for that.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Sawyers makes a permethrin in spray form that is designed to go on your clothing which after drying can come in contact with your skin safely. I see nothing wrong with spraying the underside of your hammock and bug net.

I am not sure how well it will stick to silnylon but i have used it on DWR treated Fabrics with no issues.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    Sawyers makes a permethrin in spray form that is designed to go on your clothing which after drying can come in contact with your skin safely. I see nothing wrong with spraying the underside of your hammock and bug net
    Right, but I trust clothing to absorb and contain the chemical far better than nylon. Not that it isn't safe, because I don't know, I'm just saying if it were me, I wouldn't do it.
    Hammeck - Hammocks, stands, and accessories, made by the Meck family.

Like us on Facebook!

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    works on anything,,been using it as long as I can remember,,and not sick or glowing from using it..Use it as when it drys,,its good to go. No need to worry about a thang!

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Can you put permethrin on your tarp? Sure … if you want to waste your money. The sawyer product, as mentioned, bonds to fibers in your clothing. The silicone impregnation of sil would prevent that from happening. So you would apply it, and it would rinse/rub off when your tarp next got wet.

It can be applied to regular nylon (hammocks, packs, nylon hiking pants, etc.) - just be sure to saturate it very well. The weave of fabric on that type of material is very tight and fine - I sprayed a pair or REI Sahara pants and much of what I sprayed ran right down them until they got to the well saturated point. for stuff like that, I'd suggest laying it flat on a groundsheet or something, and spraying it that way.

The argument as to whether to spray clothing/gear/etc. with permethrin or not has been and likely will continue to be argued ad nauseam. There is of course some risk when applying any synthetic chemical either directly to your skin, or to something that comes in contact with the skin. You have to decide for yourself whether or not you care.

For my personal stance - in the long run there might be downsides. But anything that I am treating with permethrin I am only using occasionally (I might take pause at spraying my home bedsheets and sleeping on them day in and day out - but I only spend a few days at most sleeping in my hammock on any trip). The military has been using it for years with little ill effect (that anyone can prove ). And if it does have some ill effect - what might it be?

However, one tick bite and you run the risk of a very real and identifiable threat like Lime's Disease, or one of these new nasties that are tick-borne. That's the threat that I know is real, and it's worth it to me to treat my gear in order to not have to worry as much about that.

I do hundreds of things and use hundreds of product that "might, someday, possibly, cause a problem", and plenty of things that I know for a fact aren't good for me. And I don't bat an eye. So I am happy to use a certified human safe chemical, in order to safe guard against what I know for a fact to be a clear and present threat - tick bites.

YMMV.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast