AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings

Idaho Spring Meat & Greet Planning

It's about time we got serious about an Idaho Group Hang.

So far there have been 4 of the Idaho Hang in the Sawtooths each fall with folks from all over the US attending but we have yet to get more than 2 of us from Idaho to attend.....I'm thinking that comes down to it being a backpacking trip. So I want to get a good old car camp trip planned. Someplace with restrooms and water close at hand so that we can get families in on the fun.

I have a couple suggestions off the bat but would love to hear from more Idahoans so that we can plan a great hang and finally get a big old herd of Idaho hammockers together.

First spot is Pioneer Campground next to Soldier Mountain north of Fairfield. This is a small campground but has a few things going for it. Most all of the sites are just steps from the small creek so you get to hear the stream at night no matter what. There is a great 11 mile hiking trail loop that could be turned into a overnight or just a pound out some miles day hike for anyone that wanted to explore. It's about a 2 hour drive from the Boise or Twin areas so not to hard to come up after work. It's also low enough elevation that by April/May it will be green and get comfortably warm during the day and not to cool at night. Here is a trip report I did a few years ago when I did the hike as an overnight...should give an idea of the area. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=18876

Thinking we will do pot luck for a bunch of the meals...one of those good feasts like we see in some of the picks of hangs back east. I know my Idaho brethren can throw down on some killer grub. Those boys in SC and FL seam to have a lot of sea food to eat, lets show them some pics of Elk, Deer, turkey, and tatters bigger than their heads.

I'm thinking Late April or early May.

Who's in and who has suggestions?
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    pick one
    Tarp
    large, Mia palace
    Insulation
    anything warm
    Suspension
    tree or poles
    If this is the campground check out the group site.

http://idahocampgroundreview.com/pioneersites.html

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    I can head that way for a long weekend. I know I'm not from Idaho, but I will make the trip for a gathering in your fine state.
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    kelty noah's 12
    Insulation
    none
    Suspension
    stock WB
    If I am not hunting, I would like to go. I have been through that area a time or two. I also like the Featherville area.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by arczeneb View Post
    If this is the campground check out the group site.

http://idahocampgroundreview.com/pioneersites.html
    Yes that is the one I was thinking. It's where I filmed the video last January on the RidgeCreek UQ. Going to try and get up there yet this winter with the kids to snowshoe in that area and will try to get some video of the CG.

Quote Originally Posted by MuseJr View Post
    I can head that way for a long weekend. I know I'm not from Idaho, but I will make the trip for a gathering in your fine state.
    Always good to hang with you Muse. Hope timing will work out and you can make it up.

Quote Originally Posted by mekdad View Post
    If I am not hunting, I would like to go. I have been through that area a time or two. I also like the Featherville area.
    I had thought about something along the South Fork...Bumgartner comes to mind as the Hot Springs pool would be great that time of year....would just depend on the roads. There are lots of hiking trails in that area too. Have to see how the rest of the winter plays out.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Ill be watching this thread.. Im planning a Long trip this spring/summer on one of my bikes. if I can make it work and the roads in are good enough I may plan this into my route

Mmmm Meat.....
    Last edited by Gary_R; 01-23-2014 at 16:32.
    My DIY Pulk Project
    http://www.landofrath.com/?p=573

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    I would love to join you Idaho folks on this one. I have a few activities going in April and May, but I am hoping I can fit this one in. Have to put some pressure on to see if we can outnumber the in-staters.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    I have never had a bad trip to Idaho. Normally I'm fishing the Kelly Creek/Cayuse Creek/Moose Creek area or the St. Joe. I've always been in a tent or tent trailer with friends on flyfishing trips. Seems like any reason to come to explore more of Idaho and hang in a hammock would be a good reason to make the trip. Not totally familiar with where it is, but know it will be a haul from here. April and May are pretty hectic for my family, but if I get lucky and have a few days free when the hang will happen...road trip.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    SLD SL, WBBB XLC, TTTG
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE, HG
    Suspension
    Various
    I will try to make this hang Paul if I can break free. I don't have too much scheduled except for the last weekend in April I have a commitment.

It will be interesting how much snow we get this year. On a big snow year that 11 mile loop may be impassable in April or May. As much snow as we have received so far it shouldn't be a problem. There still is lots of winter left and things can change. In any case there should be some good hiking.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    kelty noah's 12
    Insulation
    none
    Suspension
    stock WB
    Willow creek is always nice. Good trails right out of the camp ground.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast