ENO DN
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps

Back into the wild...

Firstly, for anyone taking the time to respond to the newbie member intros, thanks. Chances are you're one of the folks regular to site sharing all sorts of creative ways to hang-around, and it seems like a great crowd. Even if I never logged in again, I've already expanded my (albeit limited) hammock knowledge 100x over; cheers!

As for myself, I haven't been camping in over 4 years, and for someone who grew up appreciating the outdoors, that's pretty bad. For 2014 I made it a goal to get back out into the wilderness and enjoy the nature around me here in Arizona. Having previously only borrowed gear, I started doing research to at least get out for some car camping asap, which led me into an REI to do some size comparisons on tents, figuring I would invite/drag some friends along. I bought a tent.

What am I doing here you ask? Well, it's my personal opinion that you just can't go camping without a hammock, so shortly thereafter, I bought one of those too: an ENO DN, and then the bugnet and then a Kelty Noah tarp (currently in transit to my grubby hands) before stumbling upon this fine establishment. That being said, I've come to realize, my tent may never see the light of day, dark of night, or outside of stuff-sack, and I'm totally OK with it; I'm going to sleep in the trees!

As the gear has been rolling in, even the small things like ridgeline and biners, I continue to grow more excited to get out and put it all to repeated use.

tl;dr - Thanks for having me, glad to be here; peace!

-LostAloft

Next stop - UQ subforum for some advice on getting that piece of gear all sorted, so I can begin this journey of good times trial and error.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Welcome from the Jersey Shore - Arizona is one of my favorite places in the world - very beautiful.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    Welcome, I like your perspective already!
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Welcome aboard. You may not realize it yet but with that attitude you will be a hanger. Some give up on the first or second try and we get their new slightly used gear on discount. Don't believe you will fall into that category, but if you do I got dibs. Best advise, find a local group hang and attend. Most of us are more than willing to help and share.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    8x10 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Tree Strap
    good on ya! hey, i saw your other post about the UQ choice. If you really want to make it a priority to get out & hang this year, go for the quilt that will let you hang right now. If you can be comfortable in the cold of winter, you will hang more. Of course this will lead you to getting another (summer) quilt, but only if you're still loving it. Which you will be. But I digress. Be warm now. Good luck!
    There is no try, only do.

Hammock
    Sierra Madre Ninox
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10/Stratos
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images
    Welcome sir! Good luck on this new and never ending journey to find the perfect hang. Its a fun ride! Happy Hanging!

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Welcome - while car camping the tent can be used as a changing room and gear storage shed.
    When car camping, I also like to bring a hammock stand along (yes another thread to read). Easy to make and useful to experiment inside or back yard - here's the post to the one I use with lots of photos ('hppyfng' posts have a link to the pattern)
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=51787
    Youtube has videos as well.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Welcome! The best thing you can do is find a group hang to attend or at least a hang with a few peeps from your area. That is absolutely the best way to learn.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Welcome aboard. You may not realize it yet but with that attitude you will be a hanger. Some give up on the first or second try and we get their new slightly used gear on discount. Don't believe you will fall into that category, but if you do I got dibs.
    You got it, olddog; but I'm not sure what you'll be able to do with the tattered rags I'm going to have left over after I wear this stuff through. Although, with the DIY creativity going on around here, I'm sure someone would come up with a good use for it!

Quote Originally Posted by gophin View Post
    good on ya! hey, i saw your other post about the UQ choice. If you really want to make it a priority to get out & hang this year, go for the quilt that will let you hang right now. If you can be comfortable in the cold of winter, you will hang more.
    I know I can't get out anywhere without one, so I agree, might as well take the full plunge. Getting out sooner rather than later is priority number one.

Quote Originally Posted by g2outdoors View Post
    Welcome! The best thing you can do is find a group hang to attend or at least a hang with a few peeps from your area. That is absolutely the best way to learn.
    Looks like the SW, AZ in particular isn't as active as some other locations. That doesn't mean I can't just show up at my local park and start the revolution (once I know what the halfway hell I'm doing anyway)! I'll certainly be keeping an eye out for local action.

Thanks for the welcome all.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LostAloft View Post
    For 2014 I made it a goal to get back out into the wilderness and enjoy the nature around me here in Arizona.
    -LostAloft
    Great goal !!
    It's funny, stuff we used to do, take for granted, how much we miss it once we catch even a glimpse and then we are left to wonder, why did I ever stop?

Being outdoors is one of those things, just so good for the body, mind and spirit.

Enjoy your journey.
    cheers
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast