Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Super fly
    Insulation
    HG incubator o*
    Suspension
    webbing and buckle
    Another quick question. Is the o* incubator to warm ? I was really considering going with it instead of the 20* so I didn't have to worry about what temp I was in

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish<>< View Post
    All I am getting at is synthetics aren't as bad as most would think and they are a ton cheaper. Switching companies on a comparison is not fair. Look at the jarbidge for the 3\4 length variety and you can see it indeed is a ton cheaper than an enlightened equipment uq of similar size.

I will not turn this into a debate of syn vs down, but I don't want our newer people think that down is the only way to stay warm at close to the same pack weight. Just saying...
    No discussion there. I agree with you that Climashield is a viable and cheap alternative. I was only disputing the statement that above 20° down has no benefits other then packing smaller. And I always compare all the products available to me. I don't care about who the manufacturer is; if it saves me 4oz, I will go for it, unless it is indecently more expensive or has considerable disadvantages (for me).

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mr hvac View Post
    Another quick question. Is the o* incubator to warm ? I was really considering going with it instead of the 20* so I didn't have to worry about what temp I was in
    I don't think that an underquilt can be too warm, unless you sleep very hot. You always have the option to vent it. However, I would go with an underquilt that covers 90% of your needs. If you only camp below 20° twice a year, I would go with a 20° underquilt and add additional insulation (e.g. Reflectix, a hammock sock, a hot water bottle) in those rare cold nights. You probably will appreciate the lighter weight and lower pack volume during all the other hikes. At least that is how I feel, and I am a super cold sleeper. I was carrying a 10° underquilt on my US trip this summer and there were only 2 or 3 nights when I needed that much insulation (which doesn't mean that temperatures dropped that far). I seriously wished I had taken my 20° underquilt instead.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG hex, WBSF
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle
    Images
    I say the Hammock Gear incubator 30 *

It's custom but they are all made to order.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Agreed, an overstuffed 30 maybe.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps

Very impressive gear.

Worth every penny.

My Incubator 20 has arrived, and it's perfect. I've completed a few urban hangs now with my full set up, and I am (re)hooked. Review to follow in the Hammock Gear forum.

Any questions or comments, fire off.

Hammock
    11 foot
    Tarp
    Old man winter
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    Maybe slightly off topic, but I was wondering how the packability of the various down underquilts compares. Seems like getting an underquilt that errors on the side of being too warm only costs a few extra oz of down, so not really a big issue for weight unless one is really counting oz. But how much more space would a 0 degree 3/4 underquilt take up in one's pack compared to a 20 degree underquilt, with everything else being equal?

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by ebrianschmidt View Post
    But how much more space would a 0 degree 3/4 underquilt take up in one's pack compared to a 20 degree underquilt, with everything else being equal?
    I can't compare the two, but as far as the fullsize Incubator 20, the non-compression stuff sack that it came in is about 14x10 in., and it stuffs back in there with ease. I know you don't want to store them compressed, but for backpacking purposes I would say you could get it to about half that size in a compression sack.

As far as weight goes, I have a +1 oz. Incubator 20, and when I picked it up in the flat rate shipping box it came in, I couldn't believe it was in there. You're absolutely right that unless you're down to counting grams, erring on the side of 'too warm' is the way to go if that's a concern.

On the flip side, as far as personal experience, I had the Incubator 20 under my hammock in 65-68 degree afternoon weather, just to test the conditions; and while unnecessary for an afternoon hang and nap, with it vented loose it wasn't an issue to have it there.

I haven't had hands on all the different UQs available, just the one I own, but I did a grip of research and read a lot of reviews and opinions. The Incubator 20 materials and construction are second to none. I am very pleased, and as light as it is, I was glad in my decision to go with the full size instead of a 3/4.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ebrianschmidt View Post
    Maybe slightly off topic, but I was wondering how the packability of the various down underquilts compares. Seems like getting an underquilt that errors on the side of being too warm only costs a few extra oz of down, so not really a big issue for weight unless one is really counting oz. But how much more space would a 0 degree 3/4 underquilt take up in one's pack compared to a 20 degree underquilt, with everything else being equal?
    Between my 20° and 40°, it really doesn't seem to take up more space. It just takes more effort to pack the 20° down to the same size. But I guess I could always put more effort into packing the 40° into a tiny space...but I never really try too hard.

And I definitely don't notice the extra ~5oz.

My biggest thing is not going overboard given the weather. I could probably vent a 20° when it's 52° at night, but when it's muggy, calm and I feel dirty and sweaty, the last thing I want to do is mess with venting and have that warmth radiate from a quilt that keeps me warm at 10°!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Argon SF Clone
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by gastar View Post
    I say the Hammock Gear incubator 30 *

It's custom but they are all made to order.
    How much is the 30* ? Just when I thought I had my mind made up I see this lol

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast