Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

Hammock Hostel...continued

Didn't know where to put this thread, so feel free to move it to a more appropriate place.

Gots a question for all you AT hikers/hangers. Where would you put a hammock hostel? I'm leaning toward N. Georgia for a host of reasons. Of course, hikers still have money in Georgia. Unless you are weird and like our Coffee, go south.

Cloud 9 closed, darn (very sarcastic "darn"). That leaves the Blueberry Patch in the area, but not much else. I didn't stay at the Blueberry Patch, but I understand it is fairly small and of course very religious in orientation. Nothing wrong with that, but it narrows their potential hiking visitors a touch. So, I'm thinking Hiawassee or Titus would be a good place to look.

Fontana Dam area is in dire need of something, but being right in front of the Smokies I feel it would be mean to expose folks to hammocks one day and for them to be told they aren't allowed to use them for the next 7 days. That would just suck, no two ways around it. Virginia is chuck full of hostels already, but mine will be just different enough with a hammock focus that maybe another one would work. Don't know?

Any other thoughts? Genuine Draft told me this weekend that I am much happier around hikers than I normally am. I think she was politely telling me that I'm generally an ***. She's probably more right than wrong. She wants us to start working on this little dream of mine and is nudging me right along. It won't be in the next year or the year after (unless I hit that lottery), but I want to start working in that direction. Sorry attroll, no hammock hostel for your 2010 hike.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    You know with all the BS hostel owners put up with to repay their 18 hour days, low fees, help, time, energy I give anyone wanting to put one together credit. I couldn't.

All I have to say is stay open for the southbounders. All off the look at me I am a thru hiker people will have dropped out. Only met a few northbounders that I didn't like. There I said it.

Then again the start means more people, and more money. Then again the early places in the south are a huge non stop party from what I hear. Didn't see it when I was there.

Before the smokies would work. Then a southbounder could slack the smokies. New found gap to Standing bear and Newfound gap to Fontana dam.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    And I liked Cloud 9. Caught a 14 pound trout and stayed 3 nights with 2 work for stay. Wasn't going to zero, but a deep freeze snowstorm came in. It was only Meat and I and 2 other southbounders.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    And I liked Cloud 9.
    Cloud 9 did not like Cannibal. No idea why, I was actually on good behavior. So, I'm not sad to see them go. I caught a good trout there too, but the pizza they brought in was way better. The pizza was in the neighborhood of 14lbs...each.

Yep, I hate to admit it, but cash rules. The sheer number of hikers would be the only reason a hostel would be able to turn any kind of a real profit. Being able to sell resupply stuff doesn't hurt and would be front and center on my business plan. Maybe the hostel saves one or two thrus a year by making them more comfortable on the trail in a hammock. I'm not worried about the out of hand party people. I learned a very long time ago the kind of long lasting lesson a load of rock salt can teach.

The area is also fairly good for slack packing opportunities. Down side is the average temp at the start of thru season. Going to have to be able to prove that they can stay warm in a hammock. I'm not going into this pretending it will be any kind of a cash cow, probably quite the opposite. But my customers will be people that I like and can relate with, that's enough in my book. Don't need/want to be rich.

Southbounders will always be welcome. Off-season just means that hammocks-r-us will be open for folks to come check out a different model hammock than the one they have at home without having to drop a wad of cash for the privilege. Also looking at hosting Boy Scout type events focused on hammocks. I've got about a bazillion ideas right now, but first I need land; the only thing they aren't making more of.
    Trust nobody!

<------another person who didn't like Cloud 9

Anyone I talked to looking for a place to stay I told them to avoid Cloud 9. The Hiawassee Inn is the place I recommend to everyone.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Images
    One last thing on Cloud 9. I don't think you can say any of my hostel experiences were like the typical northbounder experience. I can think of maybe 1 or 2 in the north, but there was no partying going on.

It's a lot different to go into a hostel as the only person or 1 of 2 or 4. No partying. Just a lot of sitting, relaxing, eating, and talking. More my style. Got the chance to talk to a lot of people that are usually too busy running the hostel.

Images
    Fontana Dam might be hard come to think about it. Too much business taken away shuttling rich section hikers for high prices from Bear's Den.

New England could really use some lovin. but the cash wouldn't be there.

Had a buddy hiking that I was hiking with into North Adams in VT/Mass. There was a house right where the AT/LT came out for sale. Would have made a killer Hostel, Bed and Breakfest. Lots of slack opportunities and get the LT and AT hikers.

Bed and Breakfest angle can help with some extra cash. Read Elmer's model in Hot Springs. He makes way more from the Bed and Breakfest people than the hikers.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis &amp; Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I think the biggest problem was Crotch (Crutch). He was given the run of the hostel and was more interested in chasing hiker chics than he was at doing his job. He was kind enough to take several minutes out of every hour to tell us what a huge trail legend he had become. Found out later why, famous or infamous, thin line.

Either way, doesn't matter. The area needs a hostel and in particular, it needs a hammock hostel. I will be much more selective about who works there than Cloud 9 was in their selection.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I think the biggest problem was Crotch (Crutch). He was given the run of the hostel and was more interested in chasing hiker chics than he was at doing his job. He was kind enough to take several minutes out of every hour to tell us what a huge trail legend he had become. Found out later why, famous or infamous, thin line.

Either way, doesn't matter. The area needs a hostel and in particular, it needs a hammock hostel. I will be much more selective about who works there than Cloud 9 was in their selection.
    I can see that. Heard some of his stories to the fact. I tone that stuff out and was thankful not to be there for it.

Good luck when this comes together.

How about in the Rainbow Springs area?

(woohoo 900 posts [lightweight on his thread tho])

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast