Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    When I bring up the thread for a new bobbin I don't hold the threads at all. I leave a long tail from the eye and leave it loose. I turn the flywheel for one complete needle cycle (tdc to tdc). Then I pull on the tail to bring the bobbin thread up through the plate and trim the tails to the appropriate length. Anything that obstructs the loop of thread as the needle rises will adversely affect the stitch formation.
    I can't remember if I tried this. I was just going by the statement in the book of holding the tail of the thread with the left hand, and then cycling the handwheel a full turn.

I worked a 13 hour day yesterday then came home and got into this, and stayed up past my bedtime again. If I don't work late today I'll play around some more tonight and see what I can figure out.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbs View Post
    15x1 needles are now called 130/705H or standard home sewing needles.
    And the dimensions of those 15x1, 130/705H needles (in mm):
    Shank diameter=2.02
    Length to top of eye=33.9
    Length to point=38.2

Probably more info than you'll ever need is here at a good old machine collector site

Once you have your packs (you'll need a bunch of gauges) of Schmetz Microtek or 'Sharp' needles on hand, get rid of the old 'extras'...

BTW, you'll notice that the better quality needles have info stamped on the needle....well, I can notice when I'm wearing magnifiers..

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by ErickSaint View Post

I was able to get it to stitch just fine by hand. So of course I would try it with power. And I was able to run about a 2" stitch with it, then the thread broke. So I played with the tension a bit and tried again. Folded over the edge of an old washcloth I use for a rag, and was able to stitch the entire length with not a single problem. Again, all this with the slightly longer needle.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
    And the dimensions of those 15x1, 130/705H needles (in mm):
    Shank diameter=2.02
    Length to top of eye=33.9
    Length to point=38.2

Probably more info than you'll ever need is here at a good old machine collector site

Once you have your packs (you'll need a bunch of gauges) of Schmetz Microtek or 'Sharp' needles on hand, get rid of the old 'extras'...

BTW, you'll notice that the better quality needles have info stamped on the needle....well, I can notice when I'm wearing magnifiers..
    Thanks. I have added that number to my notes.

The extras were in with my mom's newer machine, so I'll just put those back. I took both machines because I really thought I would be teaching myself on the modern machine while tinkering with the vintage machine. But like everything I do, I jumped into the old machine with both feet, and the newer one has sat in the bag unopened till I went looking for needles last night.

I never had a problem reading or seeing fine detail, but since this project started I got myself a pair of dollar store 2x cheaters and a couple of those little wire needle threader gimmicks. They both payed for themselves yesterday.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    ...I never had a problem reading or seeing fine detail, but since this project started I got myself a pair of dollar store 2x cheaters and a couple of those little wire needle threader gimmicks. They both payed for themselves yesterday.
    Yeah, I use 2.5x reading glasses to work on most anything now. I also find I need a lot more light to see the details. The strange thing is, I can thread a needle without being able to see the eye.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Yeah, I use 2.5x reading glasses to work on most anything now. I also find I need a lot more light to see the details. The strange thing is, I can thread a needle without being able to see the eye.
    I take the needle out and thread it. Just easier for me. I find that more then seeing the thread thru, I have issues with my big fat fingers.

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 11"
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Thanks for the offer. I'm sure I'll find something, really just started the search yesterday. I wanted to hit a shop to see what their suggestion was. But seeing as I can definitely get by with just a standard old school straight stitch machine it opens much more options. It seems there are a lot of parts available to service the bigger name machines. I'll just have to visit thrifts more often, something I hardly ever do, and keep my eyes open. I also work with a guy that lives in thrifts looking for the next million dollar eBay sale, I'll have him keep an eye out.
    Definitely hit thrift stores and on Craigslist don't just check the for sale stuff. Check the free section as well. I've seen 3 machines come up in the Chicago area in the last year or so. I only grabbed one of em, one of the "built like a tank" boat anchors of yester-year. Got it up and running and working on re-wiring it and refinishing the cabinet it came in. If I don't botch the finish it'll be a beautiful cabinet with a very nice machine in it.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by zooshooter View Post
    Definitely hit thrift stores and on Craigslist don't just check the for sale stuff. Check the free section as well. I've seen 3 machines come up in the Chicago area in the last year or so. I only grabbed one of em, one of the "built like a tank" boat anchors of yester-year. Got it up and running and working on re-wiring it and refinishing the cabinet it came in. If I don't botch the finish it'll be a beautiful cabinet with a very nice machine in it.
    I still need to figure out where the cabinet is going to go. I would like to refinish it one day, as it's in pretty rough shape, it was my homework desk all the way through school. Not realizing the age of the thing, or it's history at the time, it got beat up pretty good.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Just an 'I wonder' thought - maybe the machine got put away in the first place because it wasn't working quite right. As in it wouldn't pick up the bobbin thread like you experienced because 'someone' put the wrong sized needle in.

It wouldn't be the first time that a machine was put aside waiting for the opportunity to take it to a repair shop when something minor caused a major.

Heaven only knows, even I, with 5 decades of sewing experience managed to screw up my machine by putting the needle in backwards....

Most people wouldn't even think about checking the length of a needle!!

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    Just an 'I wonder' thought - maybe the machine got put away in the first place because it wasn't working quite right. As in it wouldn't pick up the bobbin thread like you experienced because 'someone' put the wrong sized needle in.

Most people wouldn't even think about checking the length of a needle!!
    You could very well be on to something. Here is a shot I took earlier.

Bottom is the needle that came out of the machine. This will not pick up the thread. When I use it with this one it just punches holes in the fabric.

Middle is the same one that is currently in my moms other machine,Kenmore (14 stitch model 12714090). This one picked up the thread from the bobbin on the first try using the method Rev suggested, but probably only picked up on coincidence, or because there was so much slack. This needle to will not make a stitch.

Top one is from the top pack. I'm not sure if these work in the newer machine, guessing they do, mom isn't one to buy something not listed in the book. They are a touch longer. These will work and complete stitches. Seems to work quite well with this one actually. But if it's a proprietary needle I'd rather not use it, and adjust as needed to a common needle.

So I guess after all this I'm just back to square one until I can actually get to the store and pick up some actual proper needles. Also a pic of the way I have the machine threaded, though with the black thread it's hard to tell.

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast