Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 162
  1. #21
    miyanc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    nc
    Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Posts
    2,180
    Images
    35
    I personally love the older singers. After spending so much time on the 476 I was amazed at the simple precise inner workings on my 15-91. Also look for the 99, 66, 15-90 and if you can find it the 221.
    There is more info here http://vssmb.blogspot.com/search/label/identifying about identifying and in general at the main sight here http://vssmb.blogspot.com/

    This site has a many in depth walk thru's for many of the simple fixes for the singer machines. It even covers some of the more popular newer machines, like the 237, 401a and such. Like I said before I just personally like the looks of the older singer machines, especially the shinny black ones with the gold lettering and curvacious necks. I convinced my wife it wasn't just a sewing machine it was also an antique. I now just need to get ride of the ugly cabinet its in and finish the wiring.

  2. #22
    ErickSaint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Posts
    461
    That blog opens up a whole new world. What have I gotten myself into?

    I'm almost certain moms machine is going to be very similar to this one here. The desk is close to identical and the looks of the machine are vaguely familiar. But I will know more after I get a look at it on Sunday, it's been at least 30 years since it's been opened and used. Maybe less but not likely. I know it's been in the basement unused for at least 20.

    http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/atq/4271388840.html

  3. #23
    Bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Posts
    6,362
    Images
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by ErickSaint View Post
    That blog opens up a whole new world. What have I gotten myself into?

    I'm almost certain moms machine is going to be very similar to this one here. The desk is close to identical and the looks of the machine are vaguely familiar. But I will know more after I get a look at it on Sunday, it's been at least 30 years since it's been opened and used. Maybe less but not likely. I know it's been in the basement unused for at least 20.

    http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/atq/4271388840.html
    My Spidey sense is tingling.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Ramblinrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Milton, PA
    Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Posts
    7,824
    Images
    101
    Check out my "guidelines" thread in my sig. Others seem to have found it helpful. Your mom's machine sounds promising. However... be aware that not all cabinet machines can stand alone. You need to check the bottom. If there are feet sticking down from the bottom there is a good chance it will stand alone. If not then it has to be mounted into something. Even a "box" can be a good choice if space is the problem.
    A stand alone cabinet machine has the works all exposed on the table so make sure you have a cover sheet on the furniture and also make sure you keep careful track of the fabric as you don't want it getting sucked into the spinning, whirring innards of the machine. All that is workable tho and is fairly easy to deal with. We have what we call the "family loan program" which is used for machines and such. Family can borrow the equipment for as long as they want but can not sell it without permission of the lender. Better to have it used than collecting dust in the basement. See if your mom would go for something like that arrangement.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

    "Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

    We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

    Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

    Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

  5. #25
    Debi Jaytee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Thunder Bay, ON
    Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Posts
    983
    Images
    2
    If your mum isn't using it, I'm sure she would let you have it. My biggest obstacle was my sister who said that she wanted to use the old Singer - then didn't. So I asked mum for it for Christmas...guess where it is now?
    if she won't let you have it outright, Rev's idea is awesome...
    Debi

  6. #26
    ErickSaint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Posts
    461
    After I got home with seemingly new affliction yesterday, I sat down to read your guideline post. The entire thing. Then proceeded to the video series and watched all of those. It was a long night of researching. Thank you for the time you put into both of those, and the many other threads here.

    And the help offered here as a whole. This site is awesome. I'll have some time to look over the machine at moms this weekend as well as hit some other thrift shops as well.

    Never in a million years would I have imagined myself "shopping" for a sewing mach...errr Thread Injector.

  7. #27
    ErickSaint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Posts
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by Debi Jaytee View Post
    If your mum isn't using it, I'm sure she would let you have it. My biggest obstacle was my sister who said that she wanted to use the old Singer - then didn't. So I asked mum for it for Christmas...guess where it is now?
    if she won't let you have it outright, Rev's idea is awesome...
    I really don't think it will be of much issue, she has a smaller modern tabletop variety that she uses when she needs it (not often). I had asked to borrow that one a few months ago, not even sure what kind, but I was met with the dreaded "topic change" after being asked what I wanted with it. She had a real nice one from a shop that she sold to my aunt when she downsized, because it was just too big, wish I had this bug a few years ago when that happened.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Posts
    925
    Images
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    I personally love the older singers. After spending so much time on the 476 I was amazed at the simple precise inner workings on my 15-91. Also look for the 99, 66, 15-90 and if you can find it the 221.
    There is more info here http://vssmb.blogspot.com/search/label/identifying about identifying and in general at the main sight here http://vssmb.blogspot.com/
    .
    And be sure to take a look at sew-classic.com. They sell a lot of the necessary repair type parts-complete replacement wiring sets, light bulbs, pads, oil, etc. They also have a lot of the repair/service manuals available for download. Definetly a site worth investigating. If you like tinkering with hardware (I'm guessing you do based on the gas RC) these older machines are a blast to work on.
    Jason

  9. #29
    Thumbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    In, USA
    Hammock
    DIY Argon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Inc 0, UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speedhooks
    Posts
    649
    Quote Originally Posted by jwright View Post
    And be sure to take a look at sew-classic.com. They sell a lot of the necessary repair type parts-complete replacement wiring sets, light bulbs, pads, oil, etc. They also have a lot of the repair/service manuals available for download. Definetly a site worth investigating. If you like tinkering with hardware (I'm guessing you do based on the gas RC) these older machines are a blast to work on.
    Jason
    Thanks for passing that info along. They have some good stuff for getting the older machines going!

  10. #30

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Posts
    925
    Images
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbs View Post
    Thanks for passing that info along. They have some good stuff for getting the older machines going!
    yep - a new wiring harness, a belt, felt bobbin pad, light bulb, oil and elbow grease got my 15-91 purring. i wish my grandmother-in-law was still around to see me sewing on it.
    jason

Similar Threads

  1. OK, now what? (Thread Injector Question)
    By APRock in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-13-2014, 09:50
  2. What happened here? (injector question)
    By Knoxes in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-05-2014, 09:01
  3. New thread injector question
    By NJTroutstalker in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-13-2014, 19:55
  4. Thread Injector question
    By hikelite in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-06-2011, 14:32

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •