WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    That would be the best Squirrel. There are trees here in Florida that hanging with amsteel wouldn't hurt, ie Oaks, Pines & Cabbage Palms. The outer bark on these are in most cases thick enough to protect the cambium layer. Maples, Cypress, Magnolia among others is another story. The best bet to protect the trees and show others that this is our primary concern, to protect our trees.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Half-Wit by Dutch
    Tarp
    HG Cuben with Door
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    I completely agree and I will do my best to pass this info along to all my explorers. This is a great reminder to think about what you are doing before you jump right in and do it. I'm really glad I ask, because I would have never thought for one second that a small "string" would hurt a tree. Just goes to show you learn something new everyday and we have to be constantly mindful of out impact on others and our environment.

Hammock
    gt nano
    Tarp
    borah gear
    Insulation
    diy Tq
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Hello i like the idea of using sticks but not sure how well it works. IV been thinking a lot about this idea in an ever way of shrinking weight. Anybody try using minimal strap material maybe 20 in long folded over and sewn. Running your am steel through it protecting your line and perhaps the tree.?

Images
    I think you just re-lit the strongest topic on this website. If you want to, there's probably 1000's of pages on this topic already with pictures like of the sticks under the amsteel exactly like your talking about. It''l give lots of instant information, catch is you'll have to find them and I'm not very helpful on that subject

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by P Revere View Post
    ... Anybody try using minimal strap material maybe 20 in long folded over and sewn. Running your am steel through it protecting your line and perhaps the tree.?
    Running the amsteel through a sleeve does little to spread the weight. Please use a minimum of 1" straps. I believe it was Florida State Parks that granted access a couple of years ago with the requirement of 2" minimum tree straps. Using less than 1" is an invitation for land managers to ban hammocks altogether.

Yes, public relations is important for long term access.

Thanks.

Hammock
    11ft Argon 1.6oz, single layer
    Tarp
    Camo SilArgon
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    With the recent arrival of easily available 1" wide kevlar webbing that is half the weight of lightweight 1" polyester webbing previously in use, I see no reason to chase complex load distribution ideas further. Now if we could just find an affordable quantity of the 2" equivalent for the Florida folk...

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Digital Camo GG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks!
    Quote Originally Posted by genixia View Post
    With the recent arrival of easily available 1" wide kevlar webbing that is half the weight of lightweight 1" polyester webbing previously in use, I see no reason to chase complex load distribution ideas further. Now if we could just find an affordable quantity of the 2" equivalent for the Florida folk...
    I think "beating a dead horse" is fitting as well. Some hammock manufacturers include ropes as a suspension, I won't call names, but it's not very responsible.
    "Never corner anything meaner than you are...."-Unknown

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Stock or Hex
    Insulation
    Clothes, Pad, S.B.
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    If you wanted to do something like that then you need to put sticks between the amsteel and the tree so that the amsteel is biting into them instead of the bark of the tree.
    Wow! 'Til this moment, I'd believed I been the only one in the woods to do that! My needful inspiration wasn't, I admit, to thoughtfully spare a tree the nocturnal garroting I was giving it. Rather, I was aiming to reduce the volume & velocity of tropical rain water communicating from the typically smooth, textureless barks of tropical trees, to my suspension. I certainly was NOT using Amsteel whoopies/tree straps, back then! (Who'd ever heard of THAT?!) And so, in parting, lemme spur that already-dead horse, and say: No one should ought to be slingin' any mini-micro Amsteel 'round any trees.

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel911 View Post
    I saw a video early where a guy used amsteel as you would a normal tree hugger with a whoopie sling and marlin spike. Anybody ever used this configuration instead of the normal tree huggers. What Your thoughts?
    Bad idea, unless you own the trees you are hanging on. Straps protect the tree.
    Time is but the stream I go afishing in. Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    Bad idea, unless you own the trees you are hanging on. Straps protect the tree.
    Still a bad idea even then. Just because you own it doesn't mean you should damage/kill it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast