Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    UQ- Winter Lynx FL
    Suspension
    Straps & Dutchware

Snakeskins for WBBB Hammock

I'm getting my WBBB tomorrow (excited), and I was wondering if anyone used snake skins, such as Mountain Goat, for their WBBB hammock? I have ordered a set for my Mambajamba, but was curious about hammock setup and take down? I realize that Brandon sends a handy bag with each hammock, so would snake skins make any difference? What are your thoughts, and does anyone have this setup?
    StoryTellerTN

Life is always better when your "hanging" out with friends.

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    I have a WB Blackbird. I have a double ended bishop bag that I use for the hammock. I mark the head end with a piece of red reflective cord that matches the red cord on the suspension dutch clip. I find getting the hammock into and out of the bishop bag extremely easy, so I'm not inclined to go the snakeskin route (like I was using with my Hennessey hammock).

I have Mountain Goat tarp snakeskins for both of my girls Hennessey Cub tarps, for my WB Mamajama, HG Cuben and love the tarp in skins for ease of setup, tear down and keeping separate from my hammock.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    UQ- Winter Lynx FL
    Suspension
    Straps & Dutchware
    Mumbles, thanks for the feedback. I ordered them for my sons HHCub (tarp/hammock), but was unsure about the WBBB. Is the bishop bag what comes with the hammock? Second note, I ordered my skins from Mountain Goat today.
    StoryTellerTN

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    I have ordered a few extra bishop bags from Brandon, just a dual ended stuff sack. I don't recall if my WBBB came in one of the double ended sacks or a standard one, but it is in a double ended one now and that's how I'll be rolling from here forward.

For my two daughters' Scouts (sorry, I know I said Cub before, but they are Scouts), I have the tarp in mesh skins, but have pounded a grommet into the bottom of the Hennessey Scout nylon stuff sack, passing the suspension through on one end and stuffing the hammock into the open end.

The girls will carry their hammock in the stock sack modified with the bottom grommet and place this into their main pack compartment. To start the tarp will be in skins inside on the very top of their pack. If it rains, or if there is condensation on their tarps, they will be skinned and stuffed into the outer mesh fabric pouch of their packs. I'm trying to get their setups and pack system as close to mine as possible so they can tell me what to fix to get it right!
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have a couple of BBs; they all come with a double-ended stuff sack that is absolutely adequate. You won't be needing snakeskins, unless you want some.

I had some Hennessy snakeskins installed on my Blackbird for a year or so, but in the end reverted to the stuff sack. The Hennessy snakeskins are pretty tight in the ends, and if you don't want to cut them open, they're a pita to install (but it's possible). They make hanging the hammock in rain easy. I used them on public campgrounds (the type were you go by car) and they gave me peace of mind when I left the hammock hanging while exploring the area. I was always worried that somebody curious or some kids might be tempted to try out the hammock and damage it.

Other than that, I didn't see any advantages in using them. I felt that the hammock takes up a lot more space in my already bulging backpack. And you can only pull down the snakeskins when the hammock is hung. Not sure about the weight, but I think hammock + snakeskins is a bit heavier than hammock + stuff sack.

Hammock
    wbbb 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HH hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator, UGQ
    I had my BB in Hennessy Snakeskins for awhile as well. Recently took them off and went back the the bag. With the skins on I couldn't adjust the suspension until I rolled back the skins, which defeated the purpose.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I have snakeskins for my tarp but not my WBBB XLC. The double sided bag the hammock came with seems sufficient. Ymmv

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    UQ- Winter Lynx FL
    Suspension
    Straps & Dutchware
    That's it than, no skins for the hammock, only the tarp. Thank you all for the input.
    StoryTellerTN

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    I have snakeskins for my tarp but not my WBBB XLC. The double sided bag the hammock came with seems sufficient. Ymmv
    +1. Snakeskins for the tarp, and it stays in an outside pocket for wicking moisture or quick deployment. If I'm on a multi-day trip, I leave my quilllts attached to my hammock between campsites and stuff the whole thing in a dry bag or backpack, depending on mode of travel. Everything goes back into their respective stuff sacks when I get home.
    We are now ready to start our way down the Great Unknown.We are three quarters of a mile in the depth of the earth.We have an unknown distance yet to run, an unknow river yet to explore.What falls there are, we know not; what rocks beset the channel, we know not; what walls rise over the river, we know not. Ah, well! We may conjecture many things. The men talk as cheerfully as ever; jests are bandied about freely this morning; but to me the cheer is somber and the jests are ghastly. Powell 1869

Hammock
    Left Handed WBBB, SB Pro
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY SLS
    Images
    I tried regular tarp skins for my BB but it seemed too tight when packing, so now I use a very long double end bag that works great. Here it is in use.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBscO3CD86U
    My ego said, SURE you can.
    Half way in my body said OH NO YOU CAN'T

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

My YouTube

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast