DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor

14.9 Oz. Hammock with Bug Net

Too cold to go outside so worked on a project I've had in mind for a while.

The DIY hammock is 10x5 feet made of 30d MARPAT rip stop nylon from Magna. It's light and very comfortable.

Suspension is 12' of 7/64" Amsteel Larks Headed to 5' DIY mule tape tree straps. Dutch clips bumped the weight up to only 15.5 ounces.

The net has bugged me but I think this will work. It's like my Easiest Bug Net Ever except uses half the amount of cloth. Three yards of .70 ounce nanoseeum is folded over once and sewn closed on the ends. CF tabs and patches from scraps hold it to the ridgeline and suspension. CF tabs along the bottom will secure it in a couple of possible ways TBD.

Hammock, SRL from whoopieslings.com, suspension, net, and UQ are connected with soft shackles also from whoopieslings.com.

This is light enough that I can carry it along with the ground cloth and pad for two options.

Last edited by MDSH; 01-24-2014 at 16:34.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    I look forward to seeing the result.

I have a number of DIY creations in a bin which have never seen the trail as they worked better in my head, than when I cobbled 'em together. Doesn't stop me from tinkering though. I suppose an addiction to hammocks is one of the "good addictions". At least that is what I keep telling myself.

MDSH it sounds like you are nearing your nirvana with all your recent gear postings. Congrats at the weight of your hammock, I hope to someday see your awesome work up front and in person one day.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    I look forward to seeing the result.

I have a number of DIY creations in a bin which have never seen the trail as they worked better in my head, than when I cobbled 'em together. Doesn't stop me from tinkering though. I suppose an addiction to hammocks is one of the "good addictions". At least that is what I keep telling myself.
    I think this will work. But yes, experimenting is so much fun. Keeps me out of the bars and honky tonks!

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    MDSH it sounds like you are nearing your nirvana with all your recent gear postings. Congrats at the weight of your hammock, I hope to someday see your awesome work up front and in person one day.
    Thanks, Yoda. I'd like that, too. Kind-of out here in no-man's land and would love to make some "hangs" some day.

Yes, things are shaping up.

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Looks like it will work if I do a stretchy mod on the hammock to keep the side walls up.

Mike

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    So far this just sounds like something that didn't happen....
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    So far this just sounds like something that didn't happen....
    O ye of little faith! ;-)

Pondering a way to keep the walls up and still come in under a pound. Thinking out loud -- it seems that elastic inside a tube would wear better from getting in and out over it.

Last edited by MDSH; 01-25-2014 at 17:44.
    Mike

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Two days of spring weather -- plan test my theory on this project.

Decided not to modify the hammock but to rig the net differently. The goal is to keep it under a pound.

Mike

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Well, finally got it strung up and ...

It doesn't work.

Tried hanging things from tabs on the perimeter, lacing it several ways ...

Just not enough bug net.

Mike

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

14.9 Oz. Hammock with Bug Net

Bugnet size can be deceiving. I recently made a new one and took it on a hike. When I set it up, there appeared to be about a foot of extra material, some laying on the ground. It also looked too wide at the bottom. I inspected it and decided that I would cut off at least 10" at the bottom and taper in the ends an additional 6", when I return home.

After deciding that, I went over to the campfire, cooked my dinner and told lies well into the night. Finally, I crawled into my hammock, zipped up the net and then remembered my plan. So, while laying there, I felt all around underneath the hammock and reached toward the ends to feel the net. Low and behold, it fit perfectly with just enough slack to not touch the hammock or quilts.

Glad I got in the hammock before I started wielding scissors!!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast