Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB, CCF pad
    Suspension
    I switch around
    Very, Very good effort. I am intrigued by the net design.... maybe a longer net? Yeah, you may go over 15 oz, but......How wide does it have to be? Can you slim it to 55" and still maintain comfort?
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Cinch, Whoopie/Marlin, whatever
    JRB TQ with CCF underneath
    DIY tarps

"When In Charge, Ponder. When In Trouble, Delegate. And When In Doubt, Mumble."

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Bugnet size can be deceiving. I recently made a new one and took it on a hike. When I set it up, there appeared to be about a foot of extra material, some laying on the ground. It also looked too wide at the bottom. I inspected it and decided that I would cut off at least 10" at the bottom and taper in the ends an additional 6", when I return home.

After deciding that, I went over to the campfire, cooked my dinner and told lies well into the night. Finally, I crawled into my hammock, zipped up the net and then remembered my plan. So, while laying there, I felt all around underneath the hammock and reached toward the ends to feel the net. Low and behold, it fit perfectly with just enough slack to not touch the hammock or quilts.

Glad I got in the hammock before I started wielding scissors!!
    Yes, when I remember how miserable bugs can make me, trying to sleep under a tarp only, plenty of material may be one of those invariable facts of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Brancher View Post
    Very, Very good effort. I am intrigued by the net design.... maybe a longer net? Yeah, you may go over 15 oz, but......How wide does it have to be? Can you slim it to 55" and still maintain comfort?
    Thanks, Brancher.

Yes, the net needs to be longer. I have one that works very well but wanted to trim bug net weight by half for UL carry. The one I had already weighs only 7.7ounces.: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=76129 I should be satisfied, eh?

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Looks good! Yeah regarding the bugnet, having some extra length helps. I've had success with this Fronkey inspired design that uses a shock cord closure on the bottom. We did try a bug sock first on my GFs hammock but both decided to swap to bugnet for better protection. It's probably not super light, but provides great coverage.

Here's my DIY hammock and DIY bugnet.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailrider74 View Post
    Looks good! Yeah regarding the bugnet, having some extra length helps. I've had success with this Fronkey inspired design that uses a shock cord closure on the bottom. We did try a bug sock first on my GFs hammock but both decided to swap to bugnet for better protection. It's probably not super light, but provides great coverage.

Here's my DIY hammock and DIY bugnet.

Nice projects, Trail.

The Fronkey is probably the best solution vis a vis weight/effectiveness. It could be improved by substituting 85% of the shock cord for a lighter line like tarred nylon or even braided fishing line.

But I like the idea of drawing the net up completely out of the way to let breezes through so will probably stick with my easiest bug net ever concept.

My UL pack is well below 10 pounds now. It's time to quit fretting over weight and get out there more!!!

Last edited by MDSH; 03-07-2014 at 20:25.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Thanks man.

Yeah I'm thinking of swapping out the shock cord for some zing it. I hadn't thought of mating it with a short length of shock cord. Might give this a try.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12