DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by climbing.kevin View Post
    To each their own. But it's not the hammock that you need to worry about, it's everything else. From what I've been hearing a 4 season tarp with doors will help with blocking out the wind and creating a microclimate. Adding a sock seems to help keep the wind out creating another microclimate, but if it is too cold out, your breath can create frost on the inside of the sock and it may "snow" inside. Adding a underquilt will prevent you from having the cold butt syndrome. Adding a top quilt or sleeping bag on top will keep your body heat in. If an underquilt is too pricey, you can use a partially inflated sleeping pad with reflectix wings or ccf wings, attached via SPE (similar to a eno hotspot), to keep your knees and shoulders from getting chilly. Adding a nalgene bottle full of boiling water with a wool sock to wrap it all, can be thrown inside your sleeping bag and become a heat generator to keep you warm throughout the night. Putting on a balaclava will help keep your head warm. In fact you can even wrap on a detachable hood from a snow jacket over the balaclava for more insulation.

Now keep in mind all of this is from my reading on HF and Shug's videos. I have not even done a single overnighter.

Can anyone verify that that stuff I am staying is even right, or if I am missing anything?
    Clearly; you have been reading a lot! Yes, it's all on the up and up; but there are always new items and things coming about too. Now, just get out there and start hanging and enjoying.

Quote Originally Posted by UpMySleeves View Post
    I got a Green Hornet 3-layer hammock from the company Tenth Wonder (UK) especially for winter hammocking. It's heavy, but fits my needs perfectly. The intergrated bug net helps block some wind as others have mentionned. I fit a pad between the 1st and 2nd layers, and I then put my underquilt between the 2nd and 3rd layers, so the 3rd layer is basically an Underquilt Protector (it is completely removable, and connects to second layer with velcro). Very warm setup even with my cheap DIY UQ. It cost me 125$ shipped to Canada so well worth it IMO.

Nice purchase. Thats, if you've got it to spend. I have a friend who purchased one and loves it better than her other hammocks. She isn't a long haul hiker, but for the distances her and her husband go, it works great for her (he is still a ground dweller), but I guess Saturday he slept in it and this may have changed his mind enough that he is going to pull the plug and get one too. Did you have your's costumed to add another couple of feet?

Hammock
    TW Green hornet 3 layer
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing + rings
    Images
    I'm only 5'8" so didn't need the extra feet haha. I get a very good lay in it. I really like it too, and regardless of its weight, I'll use it in the summer as well. Instead of carrying a hammock and seperate bug net, I can have both for the same weight if I leave the 3rd layer home, or bring the 3rd layer and use that as a gear hammock, or camp chair elsewhere at camp.
    "Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up and snow is exhilarating. There is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather." -John Ruskin

Blog:
    http://FourSeasonsOfQuebec.blogspot.ca/

Hey, identify your floor temperature for your system. There's lots of options and lots of strategies for staying warm. The most important things to decide are that temperature and your price target.

One can build a -10 degree system for as little as $70, but it won't be light weight.

Light weight is the key for me. I will be going in for 5 day carrying everything on my back.

Hammock
    wbbb 1.1
    Suspension
    whoopies
    As far as pure hammock goes, having the top over the dh dangerbird can keep some of the warmth inside.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123