DIY
    Tarp
    Mac Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckle/strap

Hello from Ohio!

Hello to everyone and thanks for the contributions to this wonderful resource! I'm new to hammock camping. I love backpacking, but have lately been fed up with using a tent. It's heavy, too short for me, and I tend to sleep off my ground pad more often than not so I wake up freezing my butt off. This was especially true when I went out in the polar vortex part two last weekend.

Last year I tried amateur hammock camping with a cheap travel hammock, but I neglected to bring bottom insulation or a bug net. So, after freezing my bum off (in the middle of a 100 plus heat wave mind you) and waking up with a vampire ring of mosquito bites around my neck, I'm ready to not make the same mistakes.

Before jumping back into this half cocked, I want to do some research and get opinions, especially before dropping a bunch of cash. What I was looking at purchasing is an Eagles Nest Double hammock system and this Wiggy's Bag to throw over top the hammock (like a peapod).

This probably isn't the thread for that particular question, but if anyone has input nonetheless, I'd appreciate it!

Hello from Ohio!

OH

Welcome from another Ohioan. One word of advice. UNDERQUILT. I have tried a number of ways to keep warm in a hammock and the underquilt is by far the best solution. Spend your money on the underquilt. Hammocks are very easy to make. You will spend more money on a good supension than you will for the material for the hammock. I like crinkle taffeta.

Hope to see you on one of our Ohio hangs

Robb

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    Welcome Matthew. Like you, I got fed-up with sleeping on the ground. Lots of folks start out with an ENO doublenest. Some of us keep those simple gathered end hammocks for their versatility. It can be a money pit, but if you can sew, you can make your own gear.

Hammock
    DIY 11-1/2' Argon w/knotty
    Tarp
    WB SuperFLY
    Insulation
    HG 20 UQ+ DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle

Welcome fellow Buckeye OH-

I am starting get more knowledge, and this is the place to learn.

Look up Shug Emery and you will learn a bunch!!

I live in Troy, so maybe I will see you on a hang some time in OH.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Hey welcome to the forums from Dayton! You have some great and very knowledgable fellow hangers there in Columbus. Try to hook up with us at an Ohio hang sometime. The ohio gang has dropped off a little this past year but I'm hoping to see more group hangs this year. an ENO dbl is a great start and there are lots of options for a bugnet. If you pick up a double layer hammock you can get by with a pad in between the layers. Those Yukon Outfitters double hammocks that come up on sale occaisionally on woot are great hammocks for $20. They are comparable to an ENO with a little more length. Look for a youtube video on a DIY bugnet made from sheer curtain panels. You could also pick up a cheap bugnet that is intended for hanging over a cot and modify it for a hammock. What the heck if you are a DIY type just pick up some noseeum netting and make one from scratch. The ENO bugnets are great but kinda heavy to drag along for backpacking IMHO. Warbonnet and Wilderness Logics both make nice bugnets as well. Hope to catch ya at a hang this year!!
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Welcome from NJ, you find all the answers here, take your time, you will be amazed ot your options

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Mac Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckle/strap
    Thanks for all the great responses! I had no idea just how many choices there are, though I definitely like the idea of the DIY route. Also, thank you for the recommendation on Shug's videos--I've been plowing through those this morning.

I'd love to join up for an Ohio hang once I get everything together... is there a thread here for organizing those?

Hammock
    Clark nx 250, WB xlc 1.7dbl,WB rr d
    Tarp
    OMW, vertex
    Insulation
    incubator0,phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopie,atlas,web
    Welcome from Philly.
    When I was a kid the only time we were in the house was to eat and sleep.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Welcome OSU_Mathew, from just a bit north of you're locale.

+1 to Hammike, look for the Ohio folks to be more active for group hangs. Come out to a hang even if you don't stay the night, you can pick up a lot just seeing various rigs. We hung up at Mohican last week and there was a young lady there named Bear Snack who made her hammock, tarp and quilt set.

Our planning threads will have "Ohio Hang" in the subject line, search on that and you will find them.

David

• + New Posts