Hammock
    HH Ultra light
    Tarp
    stock tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ Potomic
    Images

new to the entire hammock scene

So i have been lurking around on the forum for about a week now. I love it. I want to try out hammock camping but it would be such a huge investment to buy a decent quality hammock just to see if i like it or not. I have been looking at the Hennessy Hammocks. they seem to be favored by a lot of people. So i am wondering if anyone knows of a place that rents hammocks? Or, if anyone in the finger lakes area of NY would have one that they would be willing to rent out? or any kind of ideas towards the like. Thanks you for all the information i have received on this forum so far. I am sure i have only scratched the surface.

Images
    You can try people on here in your area. Some might be willing to help you out with a test drive.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    If you have an REI near you, you may want to ask them. They rent gear, but not sure about hammocks. If you're interested, I have a Hennessy Expedition Asym that I'm seliing for fairly cheap. If you want to know more, go to this thread and take a look.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If you want to come down to the central PA area I got a HH you could check out and a DIY Bridge if you wanted to hang out for night in the woods. Give you a two fer experience.... Plus I suppose I could sting up my DIY no net with the hole in it just for kicks and giggles.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Images
    If you're any good or have any interest in making your own gear. You can make one. It's not hard. Many people on this forum do it. I know that when I'm in one I frequently find myself thinking about just how easy it would be to make one.

I have the same model of HH that Hooch is selling. It's a good hammock.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I have a Hennessy Ultralight Backpacker Asym I'd let go for a hundred plus shipping, with the stock tarp, some wire gate biners, stock tree huggers and some really funny looking blue homemade snake skins. I got it used, looks about the same as the day I got it.

Hammock
    warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Maccat deluxe
    Insulation
    sleeping bag, & TQ
    Suspension
    amsteel, treehuger
    Images
    you can use a sheet and go to just jeff's site and learn how he just whip the ends. you can find instructions on youtube also. some ripstop isn't too much $$ at wallyworld or joanne fabrics. it's fairly easy and cheap. i'd say less that 20 bucks. then if you don't like it for camping you can use it to lounge in at home or wherever.

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark XL
    Images
    First off I believe that the easiest way by far is to purchase a used hammock and then sell it if you don't like it. The Hennessy Hammock has a very good second hand value if sold on ebay, or you could buy another brand and sell it here on Hammockforums. Either way you won't loose that much money by doing so.

But! (*Note* based on my personal experiences with the ultralite)
    The Hennessy's rank is being threatened, this is mainly due to:

-the slit,
    which becomes a real PITA when using it in conjunction with a pad. The acrobatics involved when getting it under you are astounding, and then when you're finally finished you have to:
    A. get out and water the tree
    B. Get something that you have of course forgotten to bring with you from your pack.
    The solution is to get a zipper mod from 2Q /Zipper queen.

-the small tarp,
    although it gets the job done, you really need a larger tarp if you're planning to do any cooking under it in rainy weather.
    The solution would be to e-mail hennessy and ask to purchase a hammock sans tarp, and then find one that would give you much more coverage, the MacCat Deluxe and the Warbonnet tarps seems to be one of the top contenders.

Or!
    Get in touch with other fellow hangers and try out theirs before you make the plunge.

Or!
    Get to one of the gatherings and have a great time asking and hopefully trying hammocks!

Or!
    Decide between a gathered end hammock or a bridge design and order either the BlackBird or the Bear Mountain Bridge (seems like it's for strictly back side sleeping). And you'll have spent your money wisely!

Hammock
    HH Ultra light
    Tarp
    stock tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ Potomic
    Images
    wow. ok lots of info so quickly. Thank you so much for being so helpful.
    To ramblinrev thank you so much for the offer. You are actually not far from my grandparents that live in Bloomsburg. It is very kind of you to offer me the use of your equipment. It is a little farther than i really want to go. but i will consider it.

Hammock
    Switchback, DD frontline, or speer
    Tarp
    tttghex DD 3 x 3
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, DD, bags
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, web
    Images

Thumbs up

The used Hennesy for $100, or there abouts is a great deal, if I do say myself. As well, the offers of trial hangs is what makes this forum such a great place to "hang out" every pun intended! Either choice would work very well. I also bought one of Tom Hennesy's sale items for a good price. Keep your eyes open, and it will come together. If all else fails, you can build something for a very reasonable price. (There are even speers hammock kits for about $100) Good Luck

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast