Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    I cant really thing of many "pointy" things I have in my pack that might damage gear.
    That's because you stick them in other people's gear, or lose them on the trail.

Hey, I thought your pack at Mt. Roger WAS the trash compactor bags, tied together with twine and thrown over your shoulder like a hobo! Isn't that why you left a trail of gear on your way in to the shelter?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    My pack...Aarn packs, have a built in dry bag! no moisture worries!

on a side note...maybe I'm doing something wrong. It seems that most of the stuffing I do (quilts, tarps, etc) is supposed to wear out all my gear, but I can't seem to wear anything out.
    If I could wear out something, maybe I'd have a good excuse to buy something new.
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    If I could wear out something, maybe I'd have a good excuse to buy something new.
    If your gear found it's way into my pack, you would have an excuse. Especially that Yeti.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    If your gear found it's way into my pack, you would have an excuse. Especially that Yeti.
    My guess you won't have enough extra room in a 1600 cu in pack for any 'extras' But no, WAY to warm for the Yeti this trip (early this winter, I'll send it to ya to use if you'd like)

FFinn of the extremes...packed a refrigerator at Mt Rogers and shoe box in Wisconsin...bi-polar? schizophrenic?
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Images
    Stormcrow:I use two trash compactor bags for my primary "stuff sacks".

The first trash bag is the main pack liner...THAT goes in first. The other trash bag is to put my down items in (quilts). That also separates down things from the rest of my gear. All of that goes on the bottom of my ULA conduit (very narrow pack).
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I use the large Ziploc storage bags as a liner. Easy to seal, just zip it up. Pretty much bombproof.
    So you put the large ziplock in, stuff every thing into that, then zip er up while trying to squeeze the air out?

Stormcrow, when you put your down in the trash compactor bags, do you then compress it down real good ( to save space) and then seal/tie it off some how, to keep the water out? Then you drop that down into the other compator bag serving as a liner? Do you end up tieing this liner off also at the top? Or do you just sort of fold it over on the top as you close your pack?

Sorry to be so dense, just trying to get an idea of how folks achieve waterproofing with all of this down in these small packs. In my paranoia, I have been known to stuff my down into a Sea to Summit sil nylon compression stuff sack, then wrap an oven baking bag around that. But, the only trouble with these WP bags is there is no further compressing of them once they are closed up( unless there is a valve, or Event bottom). Which does not make for an easy fit into the pack sometimes. Not much problem with my big packs, but I wonder about the small packs.

The only thing I had that was down was my sleeping bag (until now). I would put it in a stuff sack and my pack was lined with a lawn and leaf garbage bag with the drawstring. That kept everything dry.

I tried the large ziploc bag and didn't like it. To hard to get it to close.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    So you put the large ziplock in, stuff every thing into that, then zip er up while trying to squeeze the air out?
    Yep! Squeezing the air out is pretty simple and easy. I just zip it up about 2/3 of the way closed, then push down on the whole enchilada. By the time it gets zipped, there isn't too much air in there.

I usually don't zip it closed if it looks to be a good day. If I see rain coming I will sometimes stop and open the pack to zip it up, but unless it looks like it's going to be a bad storm I often rely on my rain gear and pack cover to do the job. It would have to be a real soaker for the moisture between the pack and my back to get up high enough to go over the top edge of the ziploc and get to my gear. I guess it could happen, but that has not been my experience to date. Mostly I started carrying the ziplocs for stream/river crossings when there was a chance (hopefully always a small chance) that I could loose my pack. Ziploc will still have my gear dry whenever I find it downstream.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    FFinn of the extremes...packed a refrigerator at Mt Rogers and shoe box in Wisconsin...bi-polar? schizophrenic?
    I was being nice at Mt. Rogers, and packed extra gear for people to use/try out. It's not my fault that the 3 extra complete sets of gear that I brought/hauled up to the Wise shelter weren't used. But I do like extremes. It shows that you are flexible, and willing to change/try anything.

I've used trash compactor bags too, but I found a sil pack liner bag on sale somewhere and now use that all the time. It's actually lighter than a trash compactor bag and fits my pack very well. I think it's Sea to Summit and comes in various sizes. I'm waiting on my hammocking gear so have yet to see how all of this will fit into my pack. It is interesting to hear how people are packing up the gear to keep it dry and safe. Looking forward to trying it out myself. Pong

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Stormcrow, when you put your down in the trash compactor bags, do you then compress it down real good ( to save space) and then seal/tie it off some how, to keep the water out? Then you drop that down into the other compator bag serving as a liner? Do you end up tieing this liner off also at the top? Or do you just sort of fold it over on the top as you close your pack?
    I am probably too casual about how I do things by looking at how some of you all do it.

You got it right Billybob. I do not tie any of the liner/compactor bags off at the top. By leaving the down gear bag open at the top it lets more air escape my quilts as I squish things on top of them. I just fold the tops of both compactor bags over. I do not even use a pack cover. I have been meaning to make one, I just haven't yet. Having said that. Coming into Damascus a few weekends ago it was pouring down rain for at least a couple of hours....POURING. My pack and I were completely soaked but everything INSIDE my pack was still bone dry. I was actually impressed... YMMV

I will eventually make a sil liner I think but I am sticking with the trash bag for my primary down gear protection.

Adam

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast