Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    What gives Argon that soft feel? Is it just a matter of using smaller threads so more threads fit in a given area (like how higher threadcount sheets feel softer)? Or are the theeads made of a different material than standard ripstop nylon?

Hammock
    DIY 10' Hexon gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon 10'x12
    Insulation
    DIY down Argon UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Honestly I don't know. I don't really know all that much about fabric...perhaps thread size or the tightness of the weave? Good question for Dutch.

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    Bumping an old thread back to life. Anyone have long term reports of their CS90 hammocks?

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon 10'x12
    Insulation
    DIY down Argon UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Lol. So you Woke this old thread up huh Jeremy. Well, it's a sad but funny story. I was camping last summer with a friend and we were sharing a tree so our hammocks were pretty close together. We had been awake for like an hour but neither of us had budged from the warm comfy hammocks. I did find the chubby sister incredibly comfy. So I sat up and said, "When you getting out of your hammock?" and before my friend could answer it split right down the middle, edge to edge, and caboom! My buddy was laughing so hard he was crying.

I realized later that I left the small (like 3/4" blade) folding knife I keep on my keychain open. It's bad enough to have had my keys hooked onto my belt loop all night, but a slice from a knife blade would have certainly done a hammock that thin in. I was never sure if it was the knife that did it. I looked and couldn't find a noticeable cut mark along the tear. It was frayed pretty bad all the way across.

I'm assuming that I cut it and that's why it split. I think I logged around 12 nights in it, but I also bounced in it and beat it up a good bit. So, jury might still be out. I wouldn't want to not have a backup with a hammock that thin, so kinda defeats the purpose of the super light super compact hammock.

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    Indeed. I purchased some CS90 last spring with the intention of making a SL for my LT thru. Due to time constraints I ended up purchasing a 1.1 SL Streamliner from SLD. Comfortable and lightweight I continued to use it up until November when I shelved it for my winter setup. With warm weather finally here I pulled it off the shelf but upon inspection discovered the fabric is beginning to show signs of failure in the end channel stitching. I attached my suspension to continuous loops I ran through the end channels. Now I feel like that was a mistake and I should have used whipped ends.

Needless to say the streamliner is done. Now I need a new warm weather backpacking hammock and so am trying to decide if I should experiment with the CS90 as a hammock body or just go straight to lightweight polyester offerings. Did you whip the ends of your Chubby Sister? Did the failure start in the main body or near the end channels?

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon 10'x12
    Insulation
    DIY down Argon UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Maybe you could still whip the ends, a little below where the fabric is stressed. I think nylon is stronger lb for lb than polyester. Dutch sells a 1.0 nylon for light weight hammocks. The chubby sister was whipped and in my humble opinion that's a much safer choice for UL hammocks. The whipped ends were fine. Failure was in the center of the hammock. Have fun on the Long Trail! And post what you come up with.

Hammock
    Gathered end 11 ft tafetta
    Tarp
    Hex cat cut 11 ft
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    whoopie
    I was reading this thread with interest -- from what I gather (wow, "thread" and "gather") using Argon to make a Hammock is still kind of 'iffy'.

Randy

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    I was reading this thread with interest -- from what I gather (wow, "thread" and "gather") using Argon to make a Hammock is still kind of 'iffy'.

Randy
    I think there are better choices now on the market that weren't available back when this thread started.

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910