DIY
    Tarp
    Mac Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckle/strap

Question About Materials

I'm looking to build my first hammock, but I've run into some issues with materials. Originally I was looking for 1.9 oz Ripstop Nylon, but most places I've seen online want 5-6$ a yard, which to me seems to be just as expensive as buying a premade hammock. I keep seeing mention of people buying it for 1$ a yard at Walmart and whatnot, but Walmart doesn't have it locally and Joann's Fabric wants 8$ a yard.

DIY Gear Supply has Nylon Taffeta on sale for 3$ a yard. Would tearing be much of an issue?

Magna Fabrics seems to have the cheapest fabrics I've been able to find so far, but I would have to buy 17 yards minimum and shipping is ~20$. However, they have this Waterproof/Breathable Polyester Ripstop with carbon fibers. Downside it appears to be twice as heavy as regular ripstop nylon, but much sturdier and I was thinking I could use the excess fabric for a rain fly. Would that make a good material for a hammock and rain fly? Or would I rue the excess weight?

If none of the above, does anyone have any recommendations for sourcing cheap fabric? Thanks in advance...

Edit: Sorry, Apparently I missed an entire subforum about materials. Please feel free to delete this thread, Mod.
    Last edited by OSU_Matthew; 01-25-2014 at 18:48. Reason: Obliviousness

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Most people who shop Jo Ann's/Hancock's do so when there is a coupon available. Otherwise you could make a table cloth hammock (costs around $10 for the tablecloth) pretty quickly.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Mac Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    Most people who shop Jo Ann's/Hancock's do so when there is a coupon available. Otherwise you could make a table cloth hammock (costs around $10 for the tablecloth) pretty quickly.
    Yeah, I found a coupon that knocks their price down to 4.80$ a yard, which is a bit better but still more expensive than I'd prefer. I'm also planning on using this for backpacking, so I'd like to avoid cotton and stick with a strong, light, artificial fiber.

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    This^^^

Quote Originally Posted by OSU_Matthew View Post
    ...DIY Gear Supply has Nylon Taffeta on sale for 3$ a yard. Would tearing be much of an issue?

I would expect this to make a very nice hammock material. The heavier reinforcing threads are intended to control rips in clothing and will not stop a rip in a hammock at all. Many of us find taffeta to be a fine hammock fabric.

Magna Fabrics seems to have the cheapest fabrics I've been able to find so far, but I would have to buy 17 yards minimum and shipping is ~20$. However, they have this Waterproof/Breathable Polyester Ripstop with carbon fibers...

There is nothing in the description of this material that makes me want it for a hammock or tarp. Magna has several other ripstop nylons and nylon or polyester taffetas that I believe would be better choices.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Mac Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckle/strap
    Thank you! That's the perfect price point for me. Every other post I've seen on here mentions them with accolades, and they carry everything I need! Thanks for the links!

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    I found a ripstop at Hancock yesterday for 1.95/yd, I bought it just to play around with sacks etc. They only had 5 yards, I bought it all for that price, all other ripstops were starting at 7.99 and up. I asked and they didn't really seem to know why it was that cheap. There was another bolt there that looked to be exactly the same, including color, it was more expensive. The bad thing is the weight isn't listed on it, so I don't know about using it for a hammock.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OSU_Matthew View Post
    ... I keep seeing mention of people buying it for 1$ a yard at Walmart and whatnot...
    Walmart is hit or miss. Also, it's usually not listed as ripstop nylon, but usually listed as "Fabric of undetermined origin".

I only found it once 3 years ago and bought all they had at the time ~10 yards at $1.50/yard. Haven't found it since, but, still looking.

I made my tarp and 2 TQ's and an UQ from different Walmart fabrics as well. Also, my bugnet and tarp skins are from Walmart sheer curtain panels. You just have to look what's available and try some out.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    I have asked at every walmart in my area for ripstop, they usually get real confused when I ask for it.

I did however pick up some of those sheer panels last summer. Will be trying a bugnet out of them this year.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Chinook & Kelty 12
    Insulation
    Kelty LTYR, JCP UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Just throwing this out there... 1.9 oz ripstop nylon - OD Brown. I'll be buying this if it's available when I feel like making another hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast