OK kids, Tom has been watching us.

He had his new hammocks on display at Trail Days. Ya'll know me, I see something new and I pretty much have to play with one. So, I picked up the Explorer model of the Deep Jungle. He has two "jungle" designs, each come in either the Expedition model or Explorer model. The other hammock is called "Deep Winter". The only difference is the outer layer (we'll get to that in a second) is made of sil.

Please forgive some of these pics. The camera I was using is on its death bed. So, here it is:

Looks pretty much like every other HH out there. The material is the Hyperlite fabric according to what TH told me.
Probably the most anticipated portion of the new design is the addition of a zipper along the full length of one side. Sound familiar? The netting can be thrown over on the other side. Hard to show, but in the 3rd pic you can see a small tab attached to the netting and another on the netting on the other side where it meets fabric. So, you can 'secure' the netting when it's flipped over. However, I don't think it's very effective. It seems like it's an inch or so out of position. The section stretching from the head end is under a bit of tension when the hammock is unweighted. When you get it, it just 'pops'. Oh well.

Notice anything missing from this shot?

No entry slit! Still kind of weird when I think about it. I mean that's kind of the HH signature. I like it, but it's weird. It does however allow for the other change to the HH line; the double layer:

What you see is pretty much it. It is a very narrow slit to insert the pad. I haven't put a tape on it, but my guess is about 18". It is a full double layer, not just a pad sleeve. It seems odd to me that this would be the only insertion point and that it is so small. One of those design kinks to work out I guess.

I haven't really spent any time in it yet, so I'll reserve judgment on it for later. First impressions; good first try! The way the netting is secured needs some work and the pad entry slit should be able to accommodate larger pads. Otherwise, it feels just like every other HH I've tried; which is a few. The tie-outs are in the same position. I wish he'd move the foot tie-out closer to the foot, but I guess there is a reason. I also wish he'd do something about the fact that my head presses against the netting when I'm in the 'sweet spot'. I don't like the thought of mosquito bites on my forehead. The lack of an entry slit is just plain weird, but it doesn't change the feel of the hammock. I do very much like the fabric; very soft against the skin!

I'll give it a night in the next week or so, but I've no reason to believe it will be any different from any other HH. It does not come with a tarp or stuff sack. Trail Days price was $128, but the 'retail' price is above $200 (around $236 I think). If this is your brand, this is a hammock you are going to like. I give it one