DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images

Homemade Down Pants

Homemade Down Pants

I’ve been wanting some down pants for a while now but just didn’t want to come up with the money for them. I had a good stock pile of dollar bin material from WalMart I found a few years back and still had 1 pound of 800 fill down from making my RMS Clone Poncho Quilt. So I decided I might just as well try making them myself.

The Pattern:
    I figured down pants were nothing more than 2-layer lounge pants stuffed with down so I searched and found instructions for making lounge pants on the Instructables website and used that as a general guide. The pants are 4 identical pieces to make the front and back for both legs. For down stuffed pants you’ll need 8 pieces. Upon hindsight I might try to find a pattern that gives a little more room in the butt which would require 2 patterns, 1 for the front and 1 for the back.

Fold the lounge pants you are using for the pattern and draw around them. Add about 1 ½ inches to account for the seams and also add a couple inches in width to account for the puffing of the down to take up some of the width. Add several inches to the leg length and to the waist length for the same reason.

Cutting:
    Pin the pattern to the material. You’ll need 4 layers of material for the front of the legs and 4 layers for the back of the legs. I don’t recommend cutting more than 4 layers. For best results use the flat blade on a soldering gun to cut out the pattern. This also melts the edges to keep them from unraveling.

Hemming the Inseam:

As mentioned, for my project, all the pieces are the same size so that’s how I’ll refer to the steps. If you use different patterns the first step sews the inseams together for each leg, so make sure you line up the inseam from the double-layer front with the double-layer back.

With the four layers of material together, roll the hem and stitch 2 rows on the rolled hem near the edges.

Open them up and sew a single stitch line about 1 inch inside the edge around the “U” of the crotch.

Sewn-Through Baffles:

I marked the baffles using a china marker. Mine are about 5 inches apart. The narrower the baffles, the harder it is to stuff. Sew over the marked lines to create the tubes for stuffing with the down. At this point the only areas not sewn should be the outseam. The 2 layers of material might be heat-welded together from the cutting so be careful to separate them to access the baffle pockets. The seam at the bottom of the legs and at the waist should be in far enough to roll a hem for elastic at the ankle and elastic or a draw-string channel at the waist.

Calculating the Down:

Measure the square inches of each baffle pocket and multiply by your desired loft for cubic inches of down required; 1 inch is probably plenty for pants. Divide your down fill power by the cubic inches required to get the ounces of down required. Mine only required about 1.8 ounces down; I decided to overstuff with 3 ounces. Calculate the percentage of cubic inches in each baffle and multiply that percentage by the total ounces of down to be used to get the ounces for each baffle. I converted to grams because I felt like I could be a little more accurate with my scale.

Weighing and Stuffing the Down:

You will not get an exact weighing with the down, some of it is a little guess work. I set up my old tent (haven’t slept in it since I began hammocking in 2005) in the living room and measure and stuffed the down inside it to keep it from floating throughout the house. I used a quart-sized zip-loc bag to measure the down for each baffle and would measure for all the baffles in one of the leg sections at one sitting. Others have posted ways to handle the down. Zero out the weight of a zip-loc bag on the scale, I put the baggie in the big bag with the down, grabbed some and put it in the baggie. Weigh it again and repeat till you are satisfied with the amount of down in the baggie.

Here’s the quickest and easiest way I transferred to down to the baffles. Put your hand into the baggie, compress the down as much as possible and grabbing it. Then open the baffle, stick your hand into it as deep as you can and release the down. Put a few pins about an inch in from the open edge to hold the down in.

Run a line of stitching down the outseam about an inch in to lock in the down.

Ankle Elastic:

I put a rolled hem at each ankle. Threaded some ¼ inch elastic through it, stretched it, and bar-tacked it at each end.

Joining the 2 Halves:

Attached the left leg half to the right leg half by pinning the crotches together and using a rolled hem. This is a little hard because of the curves so use as small of a rolled hem as possible.

The Outseam and Waist:

Turn the pants inside out (when finished, all the rolled hems should be on the inside). Put a rolled hem from waist to ankle along the outseam and sew the hem. I decided to use a draw-string inside a rolled hem. I cut 2 slits with the soldering gun cutter for the cords to come out placing them so they would be inside the rolled hem. Sew the rolled hem at the waist. Use a safety pin to thread the cord through the hem.

Pictures of the Completed Project:

Last edited by stoikurt; 01-25-2014 at 22:51. Reason: Fix images.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Very nice! Stylish and functional.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Great project! So inside and outside pcs were the same side. If you were to do it again would you make the outside fabric larger or did it work out fine? What was the final weight of them?

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images

down pants

Thanks for the information and pictures.

Been wanting to do something like this, your work gets the motivation going. I just bought a pair of Marmot down pants, but, your style is much warmer and customizable. It looks like a 'scrubs' pattern would work too.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

WOW they look fantastic, job well done.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Left Handed WBBB, SB Pro
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY SLS
    Images
    Now that is a DIY to be proud of.
    My ego said, SURE you can.
    Half way in my body said OH NO YOU CAN'T

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

My YouTube

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Hot looking model! Always impressed by your craftsmanship.

I can't wait to see 'em at our next hang.

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images

Inside vs. Outside Material Sizes

Quote Originally Posted by KenDen View Post
    Great project! So inside and outside pcs were the same side. If you were to do it again would you make the outside fabric larger or did it work out fine? What was the final weight of them?
    Different sizes for the inside and outside would dramatically increase the difficulty of construction. You wouldn't be able to use sewn-through baffles because the outside material would have to be bunched up along baffle stitch lines for the material to end up together at the edges. You would have to use actual baffles cut on arcs.

Personally I don't think it would increase warmth much. If it's really cold and windy, put on rain pants for a wind-blocking shell.
    Stoikurt

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    I tried to add this pic too but it kept timing out. I had to resize. I should have done that with them all because I think they're too big in the gallery.
    Stoikurt

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Just wait...one day, when everyone is in camp, some joker will point at you and yell, "Hey, your pants are down!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast