Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

If you had to choose, HH Explorer or WB Blackbird

Watched a lot of of Shug's videos and he uses the Blackbird and it seemed nice and I like the idea of using the buckles for the suspension. Seems easy. And being that I am in the soutwest, the flies are AWFUL during the warm season. This is my first hammock but I would like to do it somewhat right the first time.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Dream hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Nub'a
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The popular opinion on this site is going to be blackbird. Ive had both the Explorer and the blackbird and then I kept on going to Clark, eno, Kammock, and finally stopped on Dream hammock.

here are my issues with the former and what I love about the latter.

Hennessy (at lease the bottom entrance) are fine hammocks but anything you don't have in your hands when you get in you don't have at all. You cant lean out to grab something out of your pack. you have to be completely standing up (out in the weather) to get anything. And boy talk about a bear burrito.

the blackbirds best feature is the foot box, which is great but there are some down sides. because the bug net is sewn in, you cant ever go in to a real topless mode. The bug net is always sort of in the way to the right. also if you have broad shoulders your going to have a lot of shoulder squeeze. and when the bug net is zipped up it can be a little tight. its difficult to read a book or something without touching it.

When i got my Dream Hammock Thunderbird, i finished buying hammocks. they makes a few different hammocks but the Thunderbird is the most versatile. It comes with a bug net that can be zipped on both sides. this makes it really easy to adjust your underquilt. it also comes with a weather shield (just like the bug net but is made of nylon) that makes a nice micro climate on the cold days. both can be completely zipped off the hammock and tucked in to included bags, or left at home if its out of season. Also, because they are each handmade, you can completely customize your look and strength.
    Ive hiked, camped and slept in my Thunderbird in temps in the 100s down to 0, in mosquito pits and snow and Ive always been comfortable.

The new Hennesey's have zipper entrance now or you can mod one to have both the bottom entry and zipper.
    The Blackbird now comes in XLC which is a larger hammock with a removable bug net.

I own both a HH explorer deluxe and a Blackbird XLC. I liked the HH but the bottom entry got old and I didn't have the zipper mod. The XLC feels roomier and has more features like the shelf, footbox, fully removable bug net, suspension etc. You can also get in a double so you can put a pad in.
    If I had to choose it would definitely be the blackbird.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Donna here....as mentioned above....you can have the best of both worlds with one of our Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications we offer. You will be able to top entry or go "topless" when the netting isn't needed...and still have the bottom entry during fly season. If interested, check out our website below.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigerot View Post
    The popular opinion on this site is going to be blackbird. Ive had both the Explorer and the blackbird and then I kept on going to Clark, eno, Kammock, and finally stopped on Dream hammock.

here are my issues with the former and what I love about the latter.

Hennessy (at lease the bottom entrance) are fine hammocks but anything you don't have in your hands when you get in you don't have at all. You cant lean out to grab something out of your pack. you have to be completely standing up (out in the weather) to get anything. And boy talk about a bear burrito.

the blackbirds best feature is the foot box, which is great but there are some down sides. because the bug net is sewn in, you cant ever go in to a real topless mode. The bug net is always sort of in the way to the right. also if you have broad shoulders your going to have a lot of shoulder squeeze. and when the bug net is zipped up it can be a little tight. its difficult to read a book or something without touching it.

When i got my Dream Hammock Thunderbird, i finished buying hammocks. they makes a few different hammocks but the Thunderbird is the most versatile. It comes with a bug net that can be zipped on both sides. this makes it really easy to adjust your underquilt. it also comes with a weather shield (just like the bug net but is made of nylon) that makes a nice micro climate on the cold days. both can be completely zipped off the hammock and tucked in to included bags, or left at home if its out of season. Also, because they are each handmade, you can completely customize your look and strength.
    Ive hiked, camped and slept in my Thunderbird in temps in the 100s down to 0, in mosquito pits and snow and Ive always been comfortable.
    +1 on Zigerot's comments. I started with a bb and ended with a thunderbird for the same reasons. I love the customizations you can make with materials and even length. Another big plus for me are the under quilt clips along the sides. I NEVER fiddle with my under quilt anymore. I ran some shock cord along both sides of my UQ through its sewn in loops and I hook it in and forget it. The black bird has the shelf which can be a plus or a minus, a plus that you have a built in easy place to stow stuff.. My wife loves this feature... I prefer the view without it and stow my stuff in a gear loft.
    John aka Suede

I don't think I am quite ready for a Thunderbird just yet, as I am not familiar with what I want in fabric, etc. That's why I figured I would start with a good system like the HH and the BB so I can figure out what I like and don't like. I like the idea of detaching the bug net entirely. Seems like it's a flip of a coin

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by HamMach1 View Post
    I don't think I am quite ready for a Thunderbird just yet, as I am not familiar with what I want in fabric, etc. That's why I figured I would start with a good system like the HH and the BB so I can figure out what I like and don't like. I like the idea of detaching the bug net entirely. Seems like it's a flip of a coin
    I understand, but I would suggest you look at dream hammocks site first. There is a lot of good information there whatever choice you make. Randy was also very helpful in my decision on material, width, etc. Good luck. You will be happy with whatever choice you make, and if not, the resale on this forum is great. www.dream-hammock.com
    John aka Suede

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC BlackBird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    White Cloud, Zeppe
    Suspension
    Whoopies marlinspi

HH vs. WBBB and others

I've used a HH Explorer Deluxe about 300 or so nights. Used a WBBB about 40 or so nights, and a WB XLC about 30 or so nights (and a WB RR about 40 or so nights).

I LOVED each of these four hammocks -- each in their own way.

HH Explorer Deluxe. I really liked the bottom entry. So simple. No zipper to mess with. Because it was so quick in and out, never any mosquitos following me in. Then again, while I used the SuperShelter system down to about 16F, I felt that I would have been warmer using a conventional UQ and perhaps a hammock sock. I also wished that I could have more easily reached out and adjusted the stuff underneath me (i.e., the underpad, undercover, and spaceblanket). After "cutting my teeth" on the excellent HH system, I was happy to sell my system and move on.

Next up was the WBRR. This is a bridge hammock. I LOVE this hammock. This may very well be my favorite. Flat lay. Downsides? Difficult to say. The fact that it is so very long means you need trees to be commensurately distant. Also, you need a pretty large tarp. And you can almost forget using a winter tarp with doors in the winter -- the suspension will preclude you getting a good door closure. But the flexibility of under-side insulation is excellent if you get the double-layer. I've used:
    - A RidgeRest foam pad
    - Two Ridgerest foam pads
    - Reflectix
    - AHE KAQ Ridge Creek UQ
    - All possible combinations of the above

Then I tried the WBBB. I like it a lot. The shelf is so convenient. I used it with a WB hammock sock for warmth. But at 6'2", I felt like I might be more comfortable in a longer hammock.

Enter the WB XLC. That's what I'm sleeping in now (incl last night). Again, I like the shelf. I've been using the topcover along with an UQ protector from 2QZQ to get a similar experience as a hammock sock. This isn't the hammock's fault, but I found that, in VERY high winds, the UQ protector wasn't adequate to keep the blowing snow out of the UQ. I'm shifting back to a WB hammock sock with the 2QZQ LDC extenders to provide warmth.

If I could do only one, which would I get? I think that it would be the WBRR. It is just SOOOO comfortable. A bridge hammock gives you -- without question -- the flattest lay possible in a hammock.

And (the last time I checked) you can get blem double layer RRs from Brandon for $40 off (I've got two of them and they are great).

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    I have both. Honestly the zip HHED is more comfortable from a calf ridge perspective. The WWBB is more comfortable material and the shelf is cool. Ducking under the mesh to get in the WBBB is less convenient than the HHED. I soon shall have a WBBBXLC, which should remedy the calf ridge.

I sleep well in both WBBB and HHED, they are both fine choices.

You can put whatever suspension you want on either.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    As a HH Explorer UL owner I would NOT recommend the HH due to calf ridge issues, weight and bulk. Look at the hammocks that those who have high number of post and are experienced, most of the guys with experience are not HH owners. My most comfortable hammocks are a 10' x 5' table cloth and a Byer Amazonas Miskito hammock.

HH hammocks are comfortable when pitched right but can be finicky in set-up.

If you can make a group hang b4 you buy DO IT. There is convenience in the package deals, but I've had Bias, Dream Hammock and Wilderness Logics all willingly and graciously share their wealth of knowledge with me. All of the cottage vendors here are enthusiast and willing to help. Good luck. Wanna buy a nearly new HH Explorer UL, Super Shelter, monsoon tarp?
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast