Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    EE RevX, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware, Trees
    Images

7th Annual NJ Winter Hang, Jan 24th - 26th

Wow! Thanks to the organizers, cooks, and everyone who showed up and pitched in to make this an amazing weekend.

Low of 3* on Saturday morning but I forgot the read the thermometer today. Looking forward to next year.
    Last edited by Black Foot; 01-26-2014 at 11:32.
    see you on the trail,
    Mike

#optoutside

Images
    here's a pic Ed the trash guy took. someone else can tell the story.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

So sad I had to miss this one, hope everyone had a great time...with all fingers and toes accounted for by all...look forward to the rest of the pics!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Hennessey H Expedition
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Washington 4
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckle
    As always, people came from far and wide, 40 in all! Another successful hang! Many thanks to our dedicated organizers for seven years of fun.
    Some were truly missed but we understood why they couldn't be there. Many new faces graced our woods this year and we were glad to have them. But I think I can speak for all those that came that it was another great and successful year. Renewing old friendships and making new friends, what more could one want.
    Everyone shared their food and many thought it was as good as five-star dining. And the homemade turkey soup even gave new life to Jerzybear Peggy who had came expecting to spend the weekend in her hammock. We were all glad to see her up and around and how much better she looked this morning. That along with all the other delightful foods from sausage gravy and potatoes for breakfast to tacos, pulled pork sandwiches, sweet potato casserole, hoagie dip, and so many other goodies for dinner that if anyone went away hungry they only had themselves to blame.
    We even performed a service this year by collecting a trailer full of rubbish from the woods, including two television sets someone dumped in the beautiful woods.

Hammock
    DIY Climbing Spec Hammock
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY RSBTR Kit
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    I like the gif of snow falling! Great pictures.
    v
    v

TREEfool.com < < hammock dangerously
    ^
    ^

Hammock
    Hex 1.0 Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Secret
    looks like a fun event. heck of fire too!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Dble
    Tarp
    BWWD v2
    Insulation
    Incubator/UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/DutchHook
    Images

It was a great time, can't wait for the next winter hang. Thanks for great memories everyone, and for helping me out with some gear adjustments.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    that last pic, funny stuff...

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Have a few pics.

Arriving at the turn off from Caranza Road you will find the Caranza Memorial.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emilio_Carranza

Emilio Caranza took off that fateful July night in 1928 despite warnings from Charles Lindbergh and others. The weather was violent and sadly this young aviator of renown lost his life. At the time he held the record for the 3rd longest non stop solo flight, having flown from San Diego to Mexico City.

'There is a persistent legend that on July 12 Carranza received a telegram from Mexican War Minister Joaquín Amaro ordering his immediate return to Mexico City "or the quality of your manhood will be in doubt." '

Directly across from the memorial you will now find a sign pointing to the Batona Camp which is a good thing given the thousands of dirt roads that criss cross the Pine Barrens of NJ.

The camp is located on the edge of a small creek, or swamp depending on water levels.

Years ago the old Batona Trail used to run right through the wetlands and you would cross over a plank bridge. That's how it was when I hiked it in 1978. These days, the trail has been rerouted around the wetlands as well as some changes to other sections and approximately 20 additional miles have been added. Here are the pilings of the old plank footbridge.

My dutch oven setup, home of the anti-social fire pit. Didn't think I could pull off cooking in the group fire pit so had to spend a couple hours tending a smaller fire. Reasons will be apparent in the next couple pics.

Group fire. Probably would have over cooked the pork a bit.
    Look closely and you can spot our resident late night crooner with his ever present Ribz pack SilvrSurfr, winner of the winter warming hut contest with his MASH style tent, NJRedneck, only one man had a beard like that, KayakKarl, our baker of tasty goodness Maple, and is that a youngling in nothing but a T-Shirt??? Yeah, fire was that hot, look at the ground and how much snow melted away.

The cooking/prep area, 4 or 5 easy ups, raised floor and I forgot to count how many grills all serving up awesome food the entire weekend.

Smartest folks camped right next to the food prep area.

After breakfast Saturday, I fell into a food coma and awoke to snow dropping an additional 3 inches of the white stuff. Can't say I rushed to get out of the hammock, we had single digit temps and pretty stout wind off and on but the hammock, was comfy and toasty warm.
    Last edited by Ratdog; 01-27-2014 at 15:20. Reason: added photo

Hammock
    Tinkr Custom, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    EE RevX, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware, Trees
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakeel View Post

It was a great time, can't wait for the next winter hang. Thanks for great memories everyone, and for helping me out with some gear adjustments.
    Bakeel - great to see you again, thanks for sharing the pictures of stalker's most excellent fire lay and the one ring

also thanks for sharing your great stuffed chicken for the group meal - it was awesome!
    see you on the trail,
    Mike

#optoutside

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast