Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    No, it doesn't become irrelevant. While a structural ridge line will give you the same lay at lower angles the tension and stress on the tree and your gear increase. See Derek Hansen's Hammock Hang Calculator. Just adjust the hang angle from 30 to 15 degrees and you'll see the difference in shear force & line tension.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    DIY & HG TQ/HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Line tension shouldn't be a huge issue if you are using a product that's rated over a thousand pounds like most use. ie amsteel
    But I do see the increased stress on trees being an issue.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Izraelius View Post
    If you have a fixed ridge line that is structural so that the hammock always hangs the same, does the magic 30 degree angle become irrelevant? Seems like it would be as long as the ridge line is taut.
    Quote Originally Posted by octothorpesarus View Post
    No, it doesn't become irrelevant. While a structural ridge line will give you the same lay at lower angles the tension and stress on the tree and your gear increase. See Derek Hansen's Hammock Hang Calculator. Just adjust the hang angle from 30 to 15 degrees and you'll see the difference in shear force & line tension.
    The SLR will keep the hammock at an approximate 30* angle regardless of the suspension angle(unless it goes beyond 40* or higher).

If you have giant redwoods and use truck 40,000lbs straps, you can put your suspension at 1* angle and if the SRL can hold the forces, it will keep the hammock at the same 30* angle.

Obvious, that would be ridiculous to do and most don't have trees like that. The 30* angle is optimum to minimize the forces to the trees and the hammock/SRL. Remember, not all hammocks have RL's.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    WBBB, DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    EE 20 / Phoenix20
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    I think the biggest reason to have an adjustable SRL is for those that like to tinker with the length of the ridge line. I would guess that once its set to a comfortable position its hardly ever changed.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner in 1.9 Multicam
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Okay, I too am mystified. I have been searching the forums for a while and I can't seem to find any instructions on a ARL anywhere. I know that you should make it 83 % of the length of the hammock, but that is all. I think I should construct a whoopie sling. Is there a thread here that explains how to construct one of these?
    Check out my youtube channel. Vids about hammock camping, geocaching and outdoor fun.
    Adventures With Snide Tripod

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images

What is a ridgeline?

Quote Originally Posted by snidetripod View Post
    Okay, I too am mystified. I have been searching the forums for a while and I can't seem to find any instructions on a ARL anywhere. I know that you should make it 83 % of the length of the hammock, but that is all. I think I should construct a whoopie sling. Is there a thread here that explains how to construct one of these?

You are correct. It's simply a long whoopie. Depends on your hammock, but usually just attach the fixed end as normal and the other end around the knot on your suspension. Papa Smurf has a line calculator on his site that will give you the length of bury you need, taper, etc.. http://www.dream-hammock.com/RopeCalculator.html

Here's a sticky on whoopie slings: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ead.php?t=9349

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner in 1.9 Multicam
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks Nhott
    Check out my youtube channel. Vids about hammock camping, geocaching and outdoor fun.
    Adventures With Snide Tripod

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by snidetripod View Post
    ... I think I should construct a whoopie sling. Is there a thread here that explains how to construct one of these?
    You can make a whoopie sling with a ~24"-30" adjustable loop and a long non-adjustable section. Make the overall length 83% of your hammock at the mid point of the adjustable loop.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=70189

You can also use a UCR...https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=66163

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Being a simple old man some of this borders on being just too much to comprehend. I read and had a grasp of the 83% and having the RL where you could just move it when loaded. I just took the easy way out and tied one end of my ridgeline to the foot of my hammock and a truckers hitch to the head end. Over a period of time I played with the length to determine what was optimal for me. Guess what? The truckers hitch is still there.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY 11" 1.1 black ripstop
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    tewa and HG
    Suspension
    UCRs/Dutchbling
    Images
    Olddog has a good and simple method for an adjustable. Another thing you could do if you didn't want to construct a whoopie sling or UCR is take a carabiner and make a few wraps around part of it to take up some slack. Couple of good alternatives instead of going through the trouble and material of making those.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast