Question Advice on a Hammock Setup in DIY Tiny Home

Hi All,
    I'm approximately half way through building a tiny home in Sydney, Australia (you can follow our progress at https://www.facebook.com/tinyabodes).
    I am very interested in incorporating a hammock into my design. But, I have a couple of questions:

We are using a steel frame design (1mm roll formed zinc coated steel). Has anyone had any experience of supporting a hammock in a steel framed house?

The length of the house is only 3.4m and the maximum height where a hammock can be supported is 1.85m. Looking at the hang calculator this may not mean a comfortable hang, is there anyway around this? Shorter hammocks?

I have read a lot of this forum and have really enjoyed learning some more about hammock camping. I would love to know what you all prefer to an indoor "bed" hammock. I currently have a no-brand Brazilian hammock on a hammock stand and love that but would be interested to know if anyone is comfortable in a nylon style hammock as a full time bed.

Would love to hear from others out there who have hammocks set up in caravans or tiny homes. It is such an awesome way of saving space.

Cheers!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    My bedroom is only 104" (2.64m) wall to wall.
    Height of anchors is approx 48" (1.2m) on the head end, 52" (1.32m) on the foot end.

I've been sleeping in a 10ft x 60" hammock made from 2.3oz Poly/Nylon most every night that I'm not sleeping in the workshop.
    See this thread for details.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=85907

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    One design I considered for my bedroom hang was to use a 104" long ridge pole from wall to wall to minimize the stress on the studs. For your application, something like this may work well.

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    WELCOME! from southern Virginia.

Your title caught my interest right away - I'm a fan of tiny houses as well, and have several complete plans I've done over the years and am one day hoping to build. Recently, I've started thinking about ways to incorporate hammocks into these plans instead of the usual sleeping loft (maybe save that for the kids... or grandkids.)

Your steel framing looks very substantial, especially with all the angle braces I'm seeing in the pics. That's real important for a home that will travel down the road, but also helps to counteract the forces from a hammock. My biggest issue would be how to make the actual attachment points. I think ideally this should have been addressed before all that beautiful T&G finish went on, so you would have a way to mount a plate or anchor inside the metal framing itself, hidden behind the wood finish.

How many hammocks do you need to hang? If just one, could you hang diagonally corner-to-corner? These would be the most solid points in your tiny house. Perhaps reinforce these locations by building a small corner shelf that would allow multiple anchors into the metal, and then hang from that?

As PapaSmurf said, a ridge pole would eliminate the inward pull on the walls, and most of your force on the attachment points would then be downward shear only. I'm just not sure if it will matter much on a structure this small...

Please keep us in the loop, I'd love to see what you come up with.

-Klauss
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Not much advise to give, but a lot of interest in the project, so yes, please keep us up to date on activities.

Hammock
    eno double/ GT double/ tablecloth
    Tarp
    GG 13x13
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    you were planning on hanging in the loft?

Thanks for the reply and pictures. Glad to see nylon and a small span is possible PapaSmurf. Klaussinator you are very right. I definitely should have addressed this before putting on the interior panelling. A hammock has always been part of the design but it was only just recently I thought about the logisitics of this.

To answer your question and the question of cncswiss1 we will only be hanging one hammock and it will act as a 'additional' sleeping area. The Tiny Abode will ideally comfortably sleep four (two in the full double bed loft, one on the long but skinny lounge and one in a hammock).

Thankfully, we are using screws and we can actually remove some of the T&G panelling we have already put in place to access the frame. I just heard back from our engineer who recommends we back blocking the C section with timber if we planned on hanging a hammock. Looks like some of the T&G will come day for the day and we will reinforce the frame in those key spots.

Will definitely keep you all updated with the progress!
    Last edited by Blue Cattle; 01-27-2014 at 20:02. Reason: grammar mistake

Hung the hammock! Check out my facebook (www.facebook.com/tinyabodes) for more photos (will keep updating it). I used hammock hanging hooks from a hardware store and back blocked the 90mm c section steel frame with cyprus pine. We drilled the steel a 1mm larger than the wood and the eyelet went is perfectly. Holds my weight and seems like it is holding the hammock at a perfect angle. Will get some chain ( and get rid of the dodgy rope we did up). Hope you like it Email me at [email protected] if you have any more questions.

• + New Posts