Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    11' single layer Hammeck
    Suspension
    whoopies FTW!

effectiveness of sleeping bag stuffed in dual layer hammock?

Ok, so as I read and learn experiment and confuse myself, I keep wondering the same thing: when I step up to a dual layer hammock (which will be soon), just how effective is it to cram a spare poly-fill sleeping bag in between the layers? I realize that an underquilt is top dog for insulation, and a closed cell foam pad or a thermarest pad seems to rank second place around here, but I keep thinking that surely a sleeping bag stuffed in between the layers would do a decent job of giving some extra insulation... as I'd still be in my sleeping bag inside the hammock. And keep in mind, the majority of my camping would be in 40°+ weather. Has anyone tried this, and if so, what's the approximate comfort rating?

Sorry if this has already been covered, but I've been looking, and haven't seen it if has been.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    It's not going to work well - the insulation will get compressed, thereby losing its loft and insulative properties.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I think it should work just fine. Granted, the insulation is crushed, but especially since its poly-fill, it should work pretty good as more of a barrier - like a pad - than insulation. Don't know how low you can go, though.

Sort of only a back yard or car camping thing, though.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    I'm not sure why you want to go with a sleeping bag over a closed cell pad, but the best answer is it depends. What is the temperature rating of the bag? How thick is the bag? How much does it compress? In this case I think the cheaper the bag the better it would perform (with the same temperature rating), but I think you may end up with a case of CBS (Cold Butt Syndrome) when that lowest part of your body compresses the insulation. The best way to find out is to give it a shot in your backyard or some other location where you can abort easily. Can you even get a full sleeping bag between the layers?
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    It's not going to work well...
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    I think it should work just fine...
    Quote Originally Posted by doogie View Post
    ...but the best answer is it depends...
    Reminds me of Goldilocks and the Three Bears. The moral of the story - this is the internet, try it out yourself.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Roche View Post
    Reminds me of Goldilocks and the Three Bears. The moral of the story - this is the internet, try it out yourself.

I agree with you Roche, I got a kick out of that one.

Pads are pretty cheap at walmart and I think you will get much better results from a pad. Also much easier to carry than another sleeping bag. Good luck!
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Well, I'll throw in with those who say it will work.
    When I had a DD double layer I used a 40* rectangular Wiggy's bag between the layers. It stayed in place very well and I was comfortable in the 40's. Never tried it any colder so can't say how low it would go.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I, too, am optimistic. Cheap insulation doesn't compress well. It should work. Please report your results, so half of us can gloat.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Passinthru View Post
    When I had a DD double layer I used a 40* rectangular Wiggy's bag between the layers. It stayed in place very well and I was comfortable in the 40's. Never tried it any colder so can't say how low it would go.
    My Wiggy's bag is by far the least compressible sleeping bag I've ever owned, so I'm sure it would work well under a sleeper. Other bags in my collection: not so much.
    Wiggys makes a pad 'replacement' which also should work ....see this thread:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ighlight=Wiggy

I'd definitely give the bag between the layers a shot for car camping - let us all know how it works out!

Images
    If the bag is not very compressible you will for sure pick up some warmth. Especially as I guess you will be laying on both top and bottom layers, so double thickness. But as to how much insulation you will get, and if it will be enough for your temps, hard to say.

If it is a wide bag with a full length zipper, have you considered wrapping it entirely around the hammock, pod style?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast