Thread: UQ as TQ

UQ as TQ

I'm plan to hike the Ocala National Forest section of the Florida trail in a couple of weeks! My dog is accompanying me so I will tenting rather than hiking! My HG incubator is the lowest rated piece of downy goodness I own. I'm considering taking it and using it as a top quilt! I tried it in the house and it seems to work perfectly! Have any of you done this before? Pros and cons of this idea?
    I have a SB I could carry but it's heavier and not as warm! I'm an extremely cold sleeper!

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    I used my LeighLo 66" UQ to augment my old cheapo synthetic bag. At 66" it was not long enough to provide full coverage for my 5'10" frame. Unless you happen to be quite tall your incubator should be long enough. You didn't mention what temperature rating it was but I would think you will be fine in Florida.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I use one, or 2 depending on the weather up here, of the JCP puffer jacket UQ's I made as a TQ all the time. Works great, although I'm sure the foot box, or lack thereof, could be improved

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    sure it will work. insulation is insulation! although you will notice some key features lacking in this repurposing. the lack of a sewn footbox can be annoying, and the lack of length, equally annoying. but wearing a nice jacket and something on your feet, sleeping still and having a warm pup beside you... I predict that you will sleep quite warm! don't forget a sleeping pad!
    -Alex

Sheltowee Hammocks Feature INTEGRATED UNDERQUILTS! Starting at $224

Step Out Of Your Sheltowee @ www.ShellHammocks.com

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    It should work, but as others have noted you may wind up wishing for certain design features that normally come with a top quilt.

Depending on what the rating on your underquilt is and how cold of a sleeper you are, it may be overkill or not enough, just like every other kind of insulation. The next month or so, expect lows to be in the ~35º to ~50º range, with the possibility that it'll dip into the 20s for a night or two. That seems to be what we've been seeing here in Gainesville, and ONF is usually pretty close in temps.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

• + New Posts