Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Sleeping Pad AND Underquilt?

I've never used an under quilt for my hammock but I kind of like the idea as they look very comfy. However I also like using a pad as it fits in my Big Agnes bags, and helps my bag stay put and not get all turned around as I flop around inside it. Does anyone use an under quilt AND a sleeping pad at the same time (for the comfort reason, not the insulation).

Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY Climbing Spec Hammock
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY RSBTR Kit
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    I use pads myself and the only reason why I would make the switch to an underquilt would be for the comfort (not having to deal with pads slipping around in a hammock). IMO using a pad with an UQ would defeat the main reason to use an UQ.

Imagine using your sleeping bag as a blanket and a UQ for insulation. Imagine not having to worry about adjusting your body while trying to contain a sleeping pad in the right spot. Hammocks are way more comfy without a pad
    v
    v

TREEfool.com < < hammock dangerously
    ^
    ^

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    I have been thinking about this for winter camping; my 0* UQ is not enought for sub-zero temps. Stacking two UQs is more comfortable and lighter than a quilt/ pad combo, but takes a little experimenting to get them to fit without gaps. Not to mention the expense of two UQ :-)

I did successfully stack my 0* and 20* UQs on a recent packing trip, but I had to mess with it at home a few times first.
    Demeter's Video Channel

Demeter's Blog

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Interesting...so you didn't find your 0 * underquilt to be warm enough for winter use? Man I'm so torn I keep flip flopping between the 20* and 0*. I sleep very cold and camp in all seasons so I've been leaning towards the 0*....

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveE View Post
    Interesting...so you didn't find your 0 * underquilt to be warm enough for winter use? Man I'm so torn I keep flip flopping between the 20* and 0*. I sleep very cold and camp in all seasons so I've been leaning towards the 0*....
    I am a super cold sleeper, too. In my experience, I have found that my 20* is great for 40 and above. The 0* will take me from 40 down to 20* comfortably. Below 20* I need more than the 0*.

Like I mentioned, I stacked my UQs on my last trip 2 weeks ago. I was cooking once temps were above 15*, ok when they were 5*+, but took some creative warming when they were below zero (hot water bottle, toe warmers, space blanket under the hammock.

Once I get to sleep, my metabolism takes a significant dive and I am toasty warm the rest of the night.
    Demeter's Video Channel

Demeter's Blog

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Ya I'm the same as you, I'm toasty warm when I go to bed but my core temp drops big time overnight. I picked up a pair of down pants last fall that I'm hoping to wear to bed in colder temps

https://www.taigaworks.ca/cart.php?m...t_detail&p=524

Part of my issue is that I don't hydrate myself well during the day. Coffee and liqeurs don't help much

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    Okay, look at getting a better sleeping bag like a Western Mountaineering sleeping bag, Kodiak or Sequoia works great as a sleeping bag and top quilt.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I have a few sleeping bags of varying temperature ratings that I've collected over the years. Last year actually I was looking at a Feathered Friends or WM bag but couldn't justify the cost based on the fact that I have so many bags already (that's why I opted for the down pants and some other base layers to wear when the temps get to -30 Celsius or so

My cold weather bag is a -60 Wiggys bag, but I also have a -10 MEC Cygnet which I think would work great as a top quilt....Ahh now you've got me thinking about sleeping bags again! I also have a 3 season Big Agnes bag and a summer BA bag that I can combine for supposed winter temps but I get cold in that too...yes Im a suck lol
    Last edited by SteveE; 01-29-2014 at 21:26.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Yeah, since the pad is more "barrier" insulation, it prevents the UQ from efficiently getting your heat. The heat within the quilt is a big part of the insulation process. In fact, radiating heat from your body into and out of the quilt is the main thing. Optimally, you'd be naked and your heat would do directly into the quilt keeping you warm and the cold out. I'm not one for that optimal scenario either, but do try to keep the clothing minimal and I think you will find that the quilts will easily hit their rating for you.

Now, if you want to do a pad only, the Exped downmats are the bomb! Way heavy and bulky, but they will keep you warm. Wish they made them in a short length - if so I might still be using them. The long wide fits great in a bridge, not very well in a gathered end, but can (and has) been done.

p.s. down pant, down sleeves, down booties, down hat/hood... that's the way to go, get the down right on the skin of your extremities.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    My set up as it is uses an Exped Downmat 7 and it's super warm, but the thought of no pad is really intriguing to me (sounds more comfy). The Exped fits well in my Big Agnes bags but it's still a bit awkward in the hammock. Funny you mention the down stuff as I went on a bit of a down buying flury last fall and got a down hat, down booties, and the pants (already have the down jacket). You're so right, down feels so good to be in!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast