Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx, Yeti, Rev 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Warbonnet Test Time

I got my Multicam Spindrift, Ridgerunner, 20 deg Lynx, 0 deg Mamba all set up after our little snow storm last night. I also have a zlite SOL pad in the DL sleeve for a little extra protection. It is 21 deg out now and I'm warm as toast. Tonight the low is forecasted to drop to 8. That would be a record for me. It hardly ever gets to those temps down here where I live. Should be a comfy night.

Aim for the moon, if you miss, at least you will still be among the stars.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Looks like some Winter fun to be had out your way - enjoy!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Looks sexy!!!

Images
    No tarp? Be sure to vent your sock tonight or you will be very frosty in the morning.
    Your setup looks nice. Have fun tonight. I have a spindrift in the mail.

Hammock
    WBRR, WBBB XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx, Yeti, Rev 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    No tarp? Be sure to vent your sock tonight or you will be very frosty in the morning.
    Your setup looks nice. Have fun tonight. I have a spindrift in the mail.
    Thanks, I'll definitely vent it a bit. I was going to put up the Superfly, but decided to go without it since no snow was forecasted for tonight. Just 8 deg and 5 to10 mph winds. I laid in it for an hour or so this afternoon and was warm as toast. I was just about to doze off when my kids and my nephew decided to hurl snowballs at me.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Nice set up....I have the same only in black. Good choice on bringing the pad. I also have a 20 degree UQ and find I can go to some pretty low temps with that combo. Very versatile.

Hammock
    WBRR, WBBB XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx, Yeti, Rev 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    We'll it only got down to 10 deg, but that is still a reord for me. The gear worked perfect, I stayed nice and warm. I woke up at 3:30 to some barking dogs and did find some frost build up on the inside, but not to bad, even with a little venting. The winds were calm so I unzipped the door completely and slept fine for a few more hours. Very happy how everything did.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubartez View Post
    We'll it only got down to 10 deg, but that is still a reord for me. The gear worked perfect, I stayed nice and warm. I woke up at 3:30 to some barking dogs and did find some frost build up on the inside, but not to bad, even with a little venting. The winds were calm so I unzipped the door completely and slept fine for a few more hours. Very happy how everything did.
    Congrats on your new PB. 10F is pretty darn cold.
    On your condensation issue.
    Figuring out just how much to vent is always tricky but it's part of why we backyard test.
    What I have found is the colder it is the more venting I need.
    Sound counterintuitive but that's the facts.

My Spindrift is scheduled to arrive on Friday I hope to be testing my covered bridge this weekend.

I think the answer is the dew point.

Water wants to stay suspended in air, that is why lakes and oceans evaporate and we have clouds, but at a certain point the temp is low enough that at a certain humidity level the air can no longer hold any more moisture. This is where frost and dew come from. The temp of the car window and grass falls below the dew point so the extra humidity collects on them and either freezes or collects as dew.

If the ambient temp is above the dew point, your breath and perspiration just slowly pass through the fabric (if it is breathable).

If the temp of the outside causes the fabric to be below the dew point, the moisture will condense on the fabric and freeze (if it is below 32º), or just collect as droplets if above freezing.
    If you have more venting it allows the moisture to get out fast enough that it collects on the tarp above you rather than in the sock.

This is why a frost bib helps, it is the closest thing to your breath that is below the dew point at really cold temps so your breath condenses and freezes on that rather than the rest of your gear.

Just my thoughts, sorry to hijack your thread.

Hammock
    WBRR, WBBB XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx, Yeti, Rev 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogdvm View Post
    I think the answer is the dew point.

Water wants to stay suspended in air, that is why lakes and oceans evaporate and we have clouds, but at a certain point the temp is low enough that at a certain humidity level the air can no longer hold any more moisture. This is where frost and dew come from. The temp of the car window and grass falls below the dew point so the extra humidity collects on them and either freezes or collects as dew.

If the ambient temp is above the dew point, your breath and perspiration just slowly pass through the fabric (if it is breathable).

If the temp of the outside causes the fabric to be below the dew point, the moisture will condense on the fabric and freeze (if it is below 32º), or just collect as droplets if above freezing.
    If you have more venting it allows the moisture to get out fast enough that it collects on the tarp above you rather than in the sock.

This is why a frost bib helps, it is the closest thing to your breath that is below the dew point at really cold temps so your breath condenses and freezes on that rather than the rest of your gear.

Just my thoughts, sorry to hijack your thread.
    Thanks for the info. I think next time I will rig up a frost bib inside and see if that helps.

• + New Posts