Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blackbird 1.9 SL and calf ridge?

Hello all, I'm new to the forums, and very seriously leaning towards a Blackbird Multicam SL as my first hammock. I'm 5'10" tall, and weigh 180. My main question is about the calf ridge. For someone my size, can the standard Blackbird (non-XLC) be set up in a way that avoids a calf ridge? I understand it is probably easier to do so with a longer hammock, but I really prefer the design features of the standard Blackbird over the XLC, and the slightly less bulk and weight is also appealing.

Thanks, and any other observations or tips would be appreciated. I've learned a lot already from this forum, and hope to discover a lot more.

Doug

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HGQ UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I am currently about 20lbs lighter than you and a half-inch shorter and I can tell you that I get no calf ridge due to the WBBB's footbox. I tried two hammocks of the same size, without the footbox of course, and both had a noticeable calf ridge, to me. My brother, who is 6' 2'' (not sure about his weight), tried it and loved it. Said he found it very comfy.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Conure View Post
    I am currently about 20lbs lighter than you and a half-inch shorter and I can tell you that I get no calf ridge due to the WBBB's footbox. I tried two hammocks of the same size, without the footbox of course, and both had a noticeable calf ridge, to me. My brother, who is 6' 2'' (not sure about his weight), tried it and loved it. Said he found it very comfy.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks Conure, that does help. I think I will pull the trigger on one.

Hey Doug, I am the same size and just 10lbs lighter, NO calf ridge problems with me!

I will say, I just got a RR, and this thing completely eliminates the possibility of calf ridge, and is my most comfortable hammock so far!

But not to distract you from the BB, you will be happy.

Justin

Thanks for the head's up Justin. I appreciate it.

Images
    Probably all you can do is try it and see. I am 6'1, 210 and have always had a lot of trouble with this issue, so that this BB had ended up being one of my least used hammocks(though it is a DL 1.7). My son is about an inch taller and maybe 10 or 20 lbs heavier, and had no issues and was super comfy. And plenty of people here at HF have had the problem, and plenty have not, so all you can do is roll the dice if you are going to know how it will work for you.

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    I am 5'9" and 175. I have a SL 1.7 BB and would never even consider an XLC. I can fit it in a very short space between trees and because of the foot box, no calf problems. I've had 2 11 footers and I prefer my 10 ft BB over them. Also have a 10 foot Clark Nx 250 and I prefer that one also over the 11 footers.

But if I was over 6 ft, I am sure it would be a different story.

I had that issue until I realized that I had to put the foot end up higher than the head end. No problems since.
    Charles

Quest Velomobile QB005

Thanks all, I've been going back and forth between the Blackbird and XLC, and finally made my decision. It wasn't easy, but I realized I was over thinking it. This morning I ordered the Blackbird single layer, in 1.9 multicam. I'm happy with my choice, and can't wait to give it a shot in real life.
    Last edited by Jedi5150; 01-31-2014 at 22:20.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HGQ UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi5150 View Post
    This morning I ordered the Blackbird single layer XLC, in 1.9 multicam
    Congrats! You won't be disappointed. I really love the added netting on the XLC and wished the standard had that as an option.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast