Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

UQP in Summer?

Does anyone use the UQP in the summer without an under quilt? Just thinking for those kinda cool nights where your bottom side just gets a bit chilly, but not chilly enough to warrant an under quilt. Would this work just on its own to keep a bit of warmth in?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    I hang less frequently in really hot weather but probably wouldn't leave the uq at home for an uqp. My summer uq is probably about the same weight as a sil uqp. If only for protection in high winds/rain I would opt for a tarp with doors over the uqp. It woulld be the lighter option plus I've had my uq get splash up and the DWR was very effective at keeping my down dry.

They say you pack your fears, in summerthe mine would be those viscous tstorms with winds tbat whip from every direction.

David
    Last edited by Bannerstone; 01-29-2014 at 17:01.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HGQ UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I'll be thru-hiking the AT this year and will be taking all three, tarp, uq, and uqp. While I haven't had the need to try it yet, I figure there will be times when only the uqp will provide the perfect degree of warmth in an early morning chill...I shall see : )

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    It depends on your local conditions where you set up camp.

You could try to set up where your out of strong winds to minimize the sideways wind, but I always think you should be prepared.

Here in Florida, it rains everywhich way on any given storm so I have my poncho that I can use as a UQP. And yes, it does add a little warmth from down low and stops the wind from robbing my warmth.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    I think it would hold in a bit of warmth as long as there is no wind. any movement of the UQP would displace the air below you and cause a chill. I wouldn't consider forgoing bottom insulation unless the overnight low is 80°, maybe 75°...

The UQP alone would be great to use as a bug block for single layer hammocks in those warm conditions. It would create a false bottom and mosquitoes couldn't reach you.
    -Alex

Sheltowee Hammocks Feature INTEGRATED UNDERQUILTS! Starting at $224

Step Out Of Your Sheltowee @ www.ShellHammocks.com

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I always take my UQP since it is so lite weight. Yes I have used it in the summer without an UQ and slept great. It kept the coolness off me, but I had a summer UQ just in case.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ShellHammock View Post
    ...I wouldn't consider forgoing bottom insulation unless the overnight low is 80°, maybe 75°...

The UQP alone would be great to use as a bug block for single layer hammocks in those warm conditions. It would create a false bottom and mosquitoes couldn't reach you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    I always take my UQP since it is so lite weight. Yes I have used it in the summer without an UQ and slept great. It kept the coolness off me, but I had a summer UQ just in case.
    Exactly.

The lowest I have been with no bottom insulation is 72*F with no wind. Add a little breeze and I could feel it in my shoulders.

That said, any temps below 75* would require something below to keep that unexpected wind and/or chill away for a full nights sleep. For me anyways.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    On that point, when you say it would need something below to keep you warm, do you mean something insulated or something to keep the wind off (like an under quilt protector)?

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    The lower the temp, the more insulation needed.

For me, UQP's alone can get me to 65*F+.

Between 50*F to 65*F, a sleeping bag is enough. It's a side zip and I leave it unzipped. I pull it on or off as needed, but the bottom I lay on is fine for under me.

Anything below 50*F, I have my 3/4 synthetic UQ and TQ. I just used it at the 4th Annual Florida Hang down to 23*F.

My comfort may be different than your comfort, so you need to experiment. I set up in the back yard so I can bail if needed... Oh, the fun of experimenting....

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveE View Post
    On that point, when you say it would need something below to keep you warm, do you mean something insulated or something to keep the wind off (like an under quilt protector)?
    Since you are an 'extremely cold sleeper', and live in Canada, I doubt that there will be anytime you shouldn't have something below you sleeping in a hammock. Meaning you will ALWAYS need insulation, not just a wind block. UQPs help block wind, thereby boosting a UQ's temp rating, but don't provide any insulation value alone.

The reason I have created an insulated hammock is precisely because there are virtually no instances where some bottom insulation isn't needed. Pads work, but pads are finicky in a hammock, that's why UQ's are popular. Nothing is going to work for all seasons for everyone.

I would consider picking up that 0° UQ, if in fact you sleep very cold and look into one of my 40° or 20° hammocks for summer or spring/fall use. (i'll have them for sale very, very soon) you can stack underquilts too and stacking them in a Sheltowee Hammock is very easy to do.

Invest in bottom insulation first, because that is what is most important in a hammock. use one of your many sleeping bags as tq's (stacking them also works great). You could eventually cut down on weight and bulk and get a dedicated top quilt down the line, but you will have a much better experience if you have adequate and comfortable bottom insulation.
    -Alex

Sheltowee Hammocks Feature INTEGRATED UNDERQUILTS! Starting at $224

Step Out Of Your Sheltowee @ www.ShellHammocks.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast