Pluq suspension question

I'm expecting a poncho liner in the mail today. I plan to make a no-sew pluq. For those that have done this, what type and width cord did you use for the suspension?

Also thinking about attaching some reflectix to the top side of the poncho liner by securing with Velcro. Would this result in any appreciable increase in insulation value?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by gps4; 01-30-2014 at 11:46.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Sooopafly!
    Insulation
    20deg HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    straps/marlin
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gps4 View Post
    I'm expecting a poncho liner in the mail today. I plan to make a no-sew pluq. For those that have done this, what type and width cord did you use for the suspension?

Also thinking about attaching some reflectix to the top side of the poncho liner by securing with Velcro. Would this result in any appreciable increase in insulation value?

Thanks in advance.

1/8" shock cord, though I think I am running 3/32. insulation value of reflectix is R-1, but the radiant reflective value 95% and vapor barrier will aid in heat reflection and reduce conductive loss. On top of the pluq, it will prevent heat transfer into the pluq. Also, in the pluq, the additional weight may promote sagging of the pluq, try mounting to the ridgeline via a "triangle thingy" to aid in pulling the pluq up better than simply tying onto the suspension.

Good luck.
    Nature restores my sanity. Seeking to get out more.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    You definitely want at least 1/8" if you're adding anything to the PLUQ. I prefer Scum's suspension system if you're using an hammock where you can run the lines up to your ridgeline. If not, triangle thingies (as previously mentioned) are a good idea.

As far as the Reflectix, it'll definitely add some warmth. On the other hand, it'll be a vapor barrier, so you'll have some of the problems associated with that. Honestly, if you want to add warmth to the PLUQ with something like that, I'd just grab a torso-sized piece of either Reflectix or CCF and stick it in the hammock with me. I've done this successfully without condensation issues (and I put out a lot of condensation; I can't use Insultex due to this) as a torso booster when things got too cold for the PLUQ (and the size of a 20" x 20" piece of CCF is small enough to stay underneath you without too much trouble). It'll buy ~10º to ~15º of additional warmth, without adding the weight of Velcro to the PLUQ.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

• + New Posts