Thread: Newbie from NJ

sergdman

Newbie from NJ

Hey everyone, first time hanging a hammock. I am going to hang it in my basement living area. Want to hang in the corner of the room. Not sure is I am going to use the walls, ceiling but I think ceiling joist based on what I read. I was just going to hang a type of hook and hang it. Did not know it was that complicated, (distance and suspension). Now the more I research, the more confused I get. I was also trying to find some nice decorative hooks, but have not been so lucky. Anyway, appreciate any advise and help. Thanks for all the information on the site.

Sergio

sergdman
    2.jpg

1.jpg

This is my hammock and the corner I would like to put it in. Looks like the hammock is 13 ft end to end
    Last edited by sergdman; 01-31-2014 at 19:49.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    welcome

Having the suspension adjusted to the 30 degree angles will minimize the stress on your hanging hardware.

Derek's website has an online calculator to help with setup.
    http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

sergdman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    welcome

Having the suspension adjusted to the 30 degree angles will minimize the stress on your hanging hardware.

Derek's website has an online calculator to help with setup.
    http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

The calculator does not assist me with hanging on the ceiling though, were I will most likely hang it from

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sergdman View Post
    The calculator does not assist me with hanging on the ceiling though, were I will most likely hang it from
    Since you're not getting a lot of answers, I'll pipe up.

I think you can use the hammock hang calculator for this, but you might not like what it tells you. You're going to need to provide more info to get any help from us humans.

1) How long is the hammock (including rope suspension thingy)?
    2) How high are the ceilings?
    3) What are the dimensions of the room?

I'm guessing your total length on the hammock is around 9 ft. (96 inches). That corner doesn't look like remotely enough room for that size hammock, but let's assume you have 12 feet (distance between trees on calculator). Enter that in the calculator and it tells you that your suspension length would be 35.1 inches, your hang point on tree (or wall) is 59.6 inches (approx. five feet).

But you want to hang from the ceiling, and that complicates things immensely. Those look like 8 ft. ceilings, so instead of five feet up the wall you'll be 8 ft., and the hammock would end up being 36.4 inches off the ground. It might be a bit difficult to get into the hammock that high off the ground. I suppose you could use a stool or something to help in that regard, but there's an old HF saying: only hang as high as you're willing to fall.

Increasing the distance between anchors to 23 ft. would give you a 95.9 inch hang point (about 8 ft.), but I highly doubt that room is big enough for that. Putting your anchors on the wall would be much easier than using the ceiling, at least in terms of keeping the hammock sit height at 18 inches and maintaining a 30* hang angle. But the room doesn't look like it's big enough to get 12 ft. in a straight line, so you might have to put your anchors so you're hanging diagonally in the room. I'd worry about the stress on the studs caused by diagonal forces, so I'd probably want to add some structural reinforcements.

I don't know if it's practical with that style hammock, but you could add a structural ridgeline that would maintain the ridgeline at approximately 80 to 83 inches, insuring a proper diagonal lay. I'd use 7/64" Amsteel if I went that route, 'cause that ridgeline will be under a lot of stress.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts