Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    just give the standard tarp its own ridgeline with a prussik knot between its own o rings, this will keep it as tight as can be......

it it starts raining you just angle the tarp down to the ground... the second ridgeline will stop it coming into contact with the hammock itself...

ive been through a whole monsoon season with the standard tarp and if you rig it at the right angle you wont get wet.... you cant even SEE the hammock if you have it angled down so how all these people manage to get wet i have no idea! maybe they arent pitching it facing the right way given the wind conditions....

section two of my video shows the tarp ridge line mod.
    Last edited by trekkingnut; 07-08-2010 at 18:03.

Hammock
    HH Expl ULA-2QZQ#2
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    Incubator&W.Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopieslings
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Also, I think my HH makes a fine chair or lounger if I just hang it a good bit looser tha normal for chair use. I have the detachable RL mod but rarely use it. If I hang it loose, the RL does not bother me.

BB58,

I understand you don't use your bug net on your HH, but how is your detachable RL designed? Any pics? Maybe a different thread needed?

...And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun... "TIME" by Pink Floyd

www.linvillegorge.net -Ken's site

www.heavens-above.com -(set your own "home" site)

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

My HH hanging protocol has evolved as well

When I first started hanging I too had the hammock strung tightly. Tight enough that exitinf the bottom slit was a chore. I did this because I thought that it would help with the tarp tightness.

Wrong. At some point I decided to string the tarp on it's own ridgeline, and that improved the taughtness immensely. At least when I weight the hammock I do not de-tension the tarp. But the stock tarp is still difficult to pitch without wrinkles. That is the nature of flat tarps I guess.

The hex tarp from HH seems to pitch more taughtly. I wonder if it is because it is not eing tensioned on the bias? Not gonna worry about it.

Now I am pitching the hammock with the 30* suspension line angle and I find this cures several woes. Far less tension on the ridgeline (used to be bowstring-tight) and a seemingly more comfortable diagonal lay. YMMV.

Jim

And I don't knpw how I missed this thread!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mtncmpr View Post

BB58,

I understand you don't use your bug net on your HH, but how is your detachable RL designed? Any pics? Maybe a different thread needed?

I just cut the RL, then reattached it to the lightest weight "screw-link" offered by harbor freight--- could have used a number of other items no doubt. I went to great pains to make sure the RL was the same overall length as new, and I probably came pretty close to that.

But honestly, I have never used it much and shouldn't have bothered, considering the hammock is plenty comfortable- for me- as a chair, if I hang it a bit looser. Then tighten back up before bed time. But one use of the detachable RL is to get the net totally flat and under you for use with a PeaPod.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123