Tarp
    DD 3X3
    Insulation
    Unsponsered UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade Whoopies

Hello from a new hommocker

Hello

I've very recently ordered myself a HH explorer deluxe which I'm itching to get out and about in.

I'll mainly be using it for when I'm out and about on the mountain bike.
    and the occasional jaunt up to Scotland and down to Wales.

Currently I'm weighing up my options as to sleeping arrangements.

I'm erring on the side of a lightweight UQ and OQ ??

still weighing up all the options and looking around for reviews and recommendations, so nothing set in stone on that front yet.

I would greatly appreciate any and all advice, hints or tips any fellow UK'ers would care to share

Once again hello and best wishes from Sherwood Forest

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Welcome to the forums from Southern Maryland. There a re many options for under and over insulation. Keep poking around here and you are bound to find some ideas that will work for you>
    Terry

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Welcome to HF. We have several UK'ers here & I'm sure they will come across this thread soon.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY Gathered end, Exped Scout Combi
    Tarp
    one of 4
    Insulation
    IX UQ or custom UQ
    Suspension
    webbing+dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Clueless Turtle View Post
    Hello

I've very recently ordered myself a HH explorer deluxe which I'm itching to get out and about in.

I'll mainly be using it for when I'm out and about on the mountain bike.
    and the occasional jaunt up to Scotland and down to Wales.

Currently I'm weighing up my options as to sleeping arrangements.

I'm erring on the side of a lightweight UQ and OQ ??

still weighing up all the options and looking around for reviews and recommendations, so nothing set in stone on that front yet.

I would greatly appreciate any and all advice, hints or tips any fellow UK'ers would care to share

Once again hello and best wishes from Sherwood Forest

Hi Clueless Turtle,
    I would have thought that the most lightweight/small volume setup you can get is an IX double layer underquild - either from MacEntyre in these forums, or a DIY job - if you are so inclined.

I am also in the UK and I have found that without some sort of UQ, it's very uncomfortable (cold) - unless it's 20C upwards at night (unlikely). Wind and dampness are the problem - 'Cold Butt Syndrome' becomes evident after midnight...
    A sleeping bag in the hammock will not cut it, as you will be compressing the bottom part of it (the bit you are sleeping on) and the insulation becomes ineffective.
    As always, YMMV.

If you have a double layer hammock, you can slip a foam pad (the cheap stuff you get from Tescos) in between the layers. It will keep you warm, but it's a bit uncomfortable. For maximum comfort you need something that hangs on the underside of your hammock.
    I ordered my IX directly from MacEnrtyre - expect a total cost of about $80 (paypal is your friend!) delivered to the UK.

For a more traditional and luxurious approach, we have owr own quilt maker on this side of the pond. Go to the bushcraftuk (dot) com forums and look up posts from "unsponsored". He makes UQs to order. He made me a custom 3 season down underquilt; 130cm (51in) wide x 160cm (63in) long, 100% hungarian goose down with 800 fill rating, total weight approx 400-450g. I paid about £60 delivered. His work is superb.

Disclaimer: I do not know how all these fit a Hennessy with its bottom entry.

seg

Hammock
    HH explorer
    Tarp
    DD 3X3
    Insulation
    Unsponsered UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade Whoopies
    Thanks for the welcome

I've already signed up on BCUK and spotted unsponsered UQ's.

They look to be just the ticket.

It was on there that I found a link to this forum.

I'm still in the research phase at the moment with regards equipment
    and will be contacting him in regards to how they effect the bottom entry.

I've also been marvelling at the 2QZQ mods on this forum.

I don't suppose there's anyone over this side of the pond that offer anything similar is there?

Please keep the recommendations and tips coming.

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    Quote Originally Posted by seg1959 View Post
    Hi Clueless Turtle,
    I would have thought that the most lightweight/small volume setup you can get is an IX double layer underquild - either from MacEntyre in these forums, or a DIY job - if you are so inclined.

I am also in the UK and I have found that without some sort of UQ, it's very uncomfortable (cold) - unless it's 20C upwards at night (unlikely). Wind and dampness are the problem - 'Cold Butt Syndrome' becomes evident after midnight...
    A sleeping bag in the hammock will not cut it, as you will be compressing the bottom part of it (the bit you are sleeping on) and the insulation becomes ineffective.
    As always, YMMV.

If you have a double layer hammock, you can slip a foam pad (the cheap stuff you get from Tescos) in between the layers. It will keep you warm, but it's a bit uncomfortable. For maximum comfort you need something that hangs on the underside of your hammock.
    I ordered my IX directly from MacEnrtyre - expect a total cost of about $80 (paypal is your friend!) delivered to the UK.

For a more traditional and luxurious approach, we have owr own quilt maker on this side of the pond. Go to the bushcraftuk (dot) com forums and look up posts from "unsponsored". He makes UQs to order. He made me a custom 3 season down underquilt; 130cm (51in) wide x 160cm (63in) long, 100% hungarian goose down with 800 fill rating, total weight approx 400-450g. I paid about £60 delivered. His work is superb.

Disclaimer: I do not know how all these fit a Hennessy with its bottom entry.

seg
    now thats a proper answer from a british person. thank god. when i asked this question, all i got was americans telling me to spend 300usd and buy one from the states! useless suggestion and ridiculously expensive!

will be checking both those options out asap. thanks for your help!

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    just emailed pm'd him about making me an underquilt.... wooo!

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Welcome to HF, and to hanging!

Hammock
    Treehugger (Eno clone), and HHULB
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    webbing
    Welcome to HF! You'll get addicted in no time at all.....just remember, we want pictures!

Crazy Hammock Lady

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trekkingnut View Post
    now thats a proper answer from a british person. thank god. when i asked this question, all i got was americans telling me to spend 300usd and buy one from the states! useless suggestion and ridiculously expensive!

will be checking both those options out asap. thanks for your help!
    As for expensive USA down underquilts, do keep in mind that 1 of your British pounds is 1.53 or so US dollars, so the cost becomes less of an issue even with shipping charges.

Cheers

Brian

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast