Customizing a tarp

I'm looking for a tarp with doors for a 11' hammock. So far I've found

UGQ winterdream tarp 12' 12x10' 27oz, 30d SilNylon 1.35oz or 1.1oz Sil Nylon? pole mods
    wildernesslogics Oldman Winter 9.3x12', 22 oz, 1.2 oz. Silnylon ripstop, can add velco strips to doors, 6 edge tie outs, pole mods
    warbonnet superfly 10x11' 19oz, 1.1oz/30D 2000mm NeverMist™ Silnylon

Do hangers here ever add many tie-outs? Beside the slightly increased weight is there drawbacks to doing so, like increased leaking problems? I would like to add side panel pull tie-outs, say 3-4 per side total (in a straight line parallel to the ridgeline). Some tie-outs on the ridgeline. tie-outs placed to keep the doors opened (from both inside and outside).

I'm also thinking about adding tie-outs along the side edges (where the side panels (walls) meet the doors), which could be used as "ridgeline tie-outs". This could allow me to pitch an asymmetrical setup if needed, as well as pitching one side panel bigger than the other (which could be useful to better block the wind from one side, or to make a bigger porch for cooking).

Would it decrease strength or increase leak problems if all tie-outs were 2 sided, seam sealed. meaning the tie-outs are on both the outside of the tarp and the inside. For example to pin your bug net wider or your hammock when not in use. Or to use your tarp as a bivy if needed.

Can you use branches instead of "poles with locking tips" on the pole mods to make the shelter wider? And I guess you dont need a mod to pitch the shelter with hiking poles if there are no trees?

Finally would it make sense to try a mod that would allow to pitch your tarp with a single hiking pole, in the middle, kind of like this . That could give better wind protection, among other things.

background on the setup I'm trying to accomplish
    Last edited by North; 02-01-2014 at 09:06.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG CF /W Doors
    Insulation
    HG BR50 IB20
    Suspension
    WB Adjustable Susp
    Im not sure about silnylon but if you go with Cuben Fiber ZPacks sells loops on adhesive patches. Someone else might be able to speak to if the same patches can stick to sil. I think cuben would need less loops and adjustment as it will not sag and stretch like silnylon.

Hammock
    ROAMING GNOME!!!
    Tarp
    Big Daddy/Toxaway
    Insulation
    WL TQ/Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch/webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    I'm looking for a tarp with doors for a 11' hammock. So far I've found

UGQ winterdream tarp 12' 12x10' 27oz, 30d SilNylon 1.35oz or 1.1oz Sil Nylon? pole mods
    wildernesslogics Oldman Winter 9.3x12', 22 oz, 1.2 oz. Silnylon ripstop, can add velco strips to doors, 6 edge tie outs, pole mods
    warbonnet superfly 10x11' 19oz, 1.1oz/30D 2000mm NeverMist™ Silnylon

Do hangers here ever add many tie-outs? Beside the slightly increased weight is there drawbacks to doing so, like increased leaking problems? I would like to add side panel pull tie-outs, say 3-4 per side total (in a straight line parallel to the ridgeline). Some tie-outs on the ridgeline. tie-outs placed to keep the doors opened (from both inside and outside).

I'm also thinking about adding tie-outs along the side edges (where the side panels (walls) meet the doors), which could be used as "ridgeline tie-outs". This could allow me to pitch an asymmetrical setup if needed, as well as pitching one side panel bigger than the other (which could be useful to better block the wind from one side, or to make a bigger porch for cooking).

Would it decrease strength or increase leak problems if all tie-outs were 2 sided, seam sealed. meaning the tie-outs are on both the outside of the tarp and the inside. For example to pin your bug net wider or your hammock when not in use. Or to use your tarp as a bivy if needed.

Can you use branches instead of "poles with locking tips" on the pole mods to make the shelter wider? And I guess you dont need a mod to pitch the shelter with hiking poles if there are no trees?

Finally would it make sense to try a mod that would allow to pitch your tarp with a single hiking pole, in the middle, kind of like this . That could give better wind protection, among other things.

background on the setup I'm trying to accomplish
    With the Versatility you need I would call WildernessLogics and go with a custom Bull Frog

http://wildernesslogics.com/BULLFROG-BF.htm

The more rectangular shape will give you more more pitching options and the slight cat cut should keep your tarp taught. You can still have doors if needed but you can also go ground or pitch with trekking poles and get several people under there. I will say that WL tarps in general have massive coverage. My Big Daddy and 1 door is simply massive (11' ridge over 11' Roaming Gnome)

https://www.hammockforums.net/galler...earchid=221936
    https://www.hammockforums.net/galler...earchid=221936

If you look at the pic you see the cat cuts are not that severe. With the flat sides of the BullFrog you could do side tieouts easier (instead of in the middle of a cat cut door). Tieouts shouldn't be a problem. I think any pole mod would work. The double pole mod is popular right now because alot of Winter Tarps have side Panel Pulls already there but from what I have seen either one will really open the tarp up. Good Luck...

also UGQ does great custom work as well, as well Oxgear..... Tons of options out there.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 sngl /Sock
    Tarp
    Z-Packs
    Insulation
    EE and WM
    Suspension
    Whoopie/sshackles
    @nfarra, "Cuben Fiber ZPacks sells loops on adhesive patches. "

You can use adhesive to make these patches stick to cuben.
    Sinylon will probably require some stitching combined with 100% silicone sealant to be solid.

There are some articles on the web.
    You could also send your tarp to one of the many tarp manufacturers to have extra tie-outs added.
    A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

• + New Posts