Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hmmmm that teralite is interesting indeed, though at a self measured 61" shoulder girth I wonder If I could close it and be comfortable with the bag still only rater for a 65" shoulder girth.

Are you aware who sells this bag? I cant seem to find it anywhere... maybe its too early as it just came out???

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I had Paul from UGQ add a few extra snaps up the bottom of the TQ I got and that helps a lot to keep it snug up almost to the waist. I prefer the snap closures because my quilt is a 0* and I use it year round in the mountains where you go to bed warm and wake up at 3 in the morning at 30 some degrees out. Nice to be able to close it up as needed.

All the cottage vendors do great work and could probably make you a custom fit one at a reasonable cost. My TQ came from Underground and the UQ is from Hammock Gear.

For ground sleeping, I use a Thrermarest pad and add a body length piece of 24" wide Reflectix under it for insulation. The reflectix weighs only a few ounces and adds a great deal of warmth and moisture protection along with a little extra padding. It's a bit inconvenient to carry around, but it roll up tightly and not much of a problem to attach to your pack.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Doublenest/RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Tewa UQ, Bag as TQ
    Suspension
    Web+Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by 92hatchattack View Post
    But being such a big guy the quilt seems to be a better option than being squeezed into a mummy bag.
    I'm looking to make the same purchase. Along with quilts, I'm also considering some unconventional bags. NEMO makes some extra room down bags that are pretty light. There are also a few rectangular and semi-rectangular bags in down that meet my weight goals.

NEMO also makes a double bag that is quite light that I can use when I'm tent camping with my son for us both and might work to setup around the hammock as both UQ and TQ. And when I'm on my own I have a huge bag I can roll around in! Just an idea right now, but thought I would share it.

Quote Originally Posted by wesbri View Post
    I'm looking to make the same purchase. Along with quilts, I'm also considering some unconventional bags. NEMO makes some extra room down bags that are pretty light. There are also a few rectangular and semi-rectangular bags in down that meet my weight goals.

NEMO also makes a double bag that is quite light that I can use when I'm tent camping with my son for us both and might work to setup around the hammock as both UQ and TQ. And when I'm on my own I have a huge bag I can roll around in! Just an idea right now, but thought I would share it.
    Man that Nemo rectangle bag looks Mighty comfy for car camping But is a bit heavy for backpacking I would guess.

This has to be one of the most frustrating things to research I have ever come across. It's literally driving me crazy. There are so many options yet none of them seem to be "just right". The montbell super spiral would fit me but its heavy for backpacking. Quilts are weird and who knows if I will like them. I still cant psychologically understand how my back wont be freezing even though I understand the theory.

Now I'm looking at EE bags and that's driving me crazy too! There offer a 58" wide size which may be perfect for me over the Burrows 55" But to pay to the tune of nearly $150 more for that 3" seems crazy. Even then I can't decide between the sewn footbox or snapped one. The model with the sewn footbox weighs ounces less than the one with the snapped footbox, but if I get the sewn one then its not as easy to kick a leg out if I get hot which doesn't sound good, but on the other hand I was considering a mummy bag that wouldn't let me get my foot out at all so what the hell?

Picking a tent was so easy.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 92hatchattack View Post
    Picking a tent was so easy.
    Our Flight Jacket includes tri-rings along both sides of the quilt starting at the top of the foot box and extending from there up roughly every 12". We recommend using a piece of 3/32" shock cord (7' or so) to lace the back of the quilt either around the pad or around you.

Here is procedure for around the pad.

1) Inflate Pad

2) Snap bottom three snaps on foot box and pull foot box draw cord tight

3) Lace shock cord through tri-rings, starting at second from top ring on both sides. Lace like a shoe ending with rings at top of foot box. Add small cord lock for adjusting tightness of system.

4) Slide pad down into quilt all the way to the bottom of the foot box. With shock cord underneath pad.

5) Flip pad and quilt over so you can see how tight lacing is, you want the lacing to hold the edge of the quilt just at the edge of the pad. Adjust as needed.

6) Flip back over and climb on in.

I don't spend much time on the ground but this work rather well with the rings we provide. Pretty tight seal along the sides of the quilt to the pad. You can move through out the night without fear of the quilt moving with you. By not using the top set of rings it allows you to snap the neck closure on the quilt and pull the neck draw snug.

For sleeping on top of the pad use the top set of rings as well. Slip just the foot end of the pad into the foot box. Then slip down into the quilt, you should be able to reach the cord lock between your legs on the shock cord lace and tighten the quilt snug to your back as needed. This will be more prone to opening gaps as you move during the night but this also works quite well once you learn how tight things need to be. I don't feel the 3/32" shock cord when laying directly on top of it.

Once you have either of these options dialed in just leave the shock cord in place and pack it away with your quilt.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    One other thing since the quilt does not go completely around you the girth needed is your girth when side sleeping as this will take the "most" quilt. Easy to measure, laying on you side have someone measure up over you chest, across your arm and down your back. You can drape a piece of string to get this measurement as well. Add 6-8" and you should have the girth you need for a quilt. if this distance is greater at the hips use that measurement.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    I am about your size. I have been using quilts for both hammock and ground sleeping for awhile. I doubt I would go back to a bag now. As far a pads, I swear by the Exped pads. I have a Synmat and an Airmat. Like both of them.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    These little clips with a fine strap are what hold the quilt snug around me. I only use them when it is cold out. When using a quilt in a hammock it doesn't need to be as wide as when on the ground. The UQ adds coverage from underneath. Go as wide as possible so you can tuck it underneath you if it is cold out. I also like the footbox design better then a snap enclosure. Seems to be more room like in a standard bag. Hanging a leg out is very easy for venting. As far as how low of temps you can go in a 20* quilt is pretty much a personal thing. I am a cold sleeper, so if I am sleeping at that temp, I will have a couple extra layers on. The one difference between a quilt and bag is not having the hood to wrap around the back of your head. For this I usually use my coat. Other then that I find using a quilt much more comfortable then a bag. So easy to get in and out and no zipper to deal with. If you don't like it the resale on this forum is pretty good. You will loose a few bucks from full price, shipping and fees. Get one with the new water resistant down and I may even buy it from you
    Attached Images Attached Images

^^^ Very cool.

There are a lot of different options to choose from. Besides the many stated in this thread I have also been chekcing out the quilts from Enlightened Equipment. They offer a little bit wider size of 58" which could be just right for my girth. So many choices are great, but it also makes it much harder to choose which product is just right for you.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It would be a good idea to check out a hang in your area. Everyone is more then happy to show off their gear. Who knows, you may even check out a hammock or two. Once bitten you can never go back

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast