Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Klymit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Overnight in Frontenac Provincial Park

We're lucky here in Kingston to have a (semi) backcountry park so close by. Last night was my January night for the Frontenac camping challenge in which participants spend at least one night per calendar month camping in the park. I went in with 2 ground dwellers to cluster 11 which is about a 20 minute snowshoe from the north access point at Kingsford Dam. In my hurry to make it to the site, I neglected to put on my headlamp and when my snowshoe came off I couldn't see to fix it. so I carried it, post-holing with my right foot for 10 minutes until I got there, exhausted and met the others already there. Lesson learned. Proper pacing and equipment are essential when traipsing through the woods in deep snow. The camping was beautiful with the stars making a spectacular show overhead. I decided that the CPAP was a little too much fuss with the hammock sock so I left it at home. This led to some fitful sleep but I was plenty warm with a Wiggy's 0 degree bag rigged as a pea pod and inside my canvas sock. This morning after breakfast, we had a couple visitors from the next site come by and check out the hammock rig. The one fella has been reading the forums for a while and I think he's ready to jump in with both feet after seeing it's potential for staying toasty warm even in the winter. I enjoyed the showshoe out much more this morning and I'm looking forward to our upcoming EGL Winter BackCountry hang in mid february. Hopefully there will be a few groomed trails for us to follow to the campsite.
    A lotta ins... lotta outs... lotta what-have-you's

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for the report. I got a chuckle picturing you with one working snowshoe & postholing with the other foot.

It sounds like a good challenge -spending a night out each month.
    You'll have to keep us posted on how it goees.

• + New Posts