Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WAMPAROO View Post
    that DIY tactical 1.1 is "Seconds" - what does that mean? Does it not have the same integrity as 1.1 ...."firsts"
    Usually it means that there are blemishes in the fabric, or markings on the edges - cosmetic in nature. I know I haven't been able to find anything wrong with the stuff I've bought. The camo pattern is excellent, it has a slight shiny sheen and a very little stiffness to the fabric like it is calendared (heat rolled to fuse the fabric,) but I can't say for sure. It is ideal for a hammock, sock or topcover, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by jay590 View Post
    ok thanks everyone. is uncoated 1.9 ripstop downproof? because I'm looking to make a down hammock like on just jeffs website.
    You know you should shoot NotToWorry a PM, and ask about their 1.9. I know Speers 1.1 is downproof, but I don't see that listed on the 1.9. Hey fabric gurus, what makes a fabric downproof?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    what makes a fabric downproof?
    High quality down like Speer sells feathers are what come out then pulls the down with them. No feathers, No leakage. The lower quality down you use the more important the material is "downproof"

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    downproof fabric has a very tight weave which prevents the down form working through the weave. While it is true that higher quality down is less likely to leak, it is also worth the extra insurance of using downproof fabric. I have seen very fine quality down leak through fabric and the added cost of the down makes it worth it to me to use downproof fabric. YMMV.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I agree that you want to use the best fabric for down projects. Vendors selling these products for outdoor DIY use will usually designate the fabric as "downproof". Other vendors products may be "downproof" but not described that way. Terms to look for in the 1.1 fabrics are calendaring and dwr. 1.9 fabrics are not used as much for down products due to the weight of the fabric will tend to compress the down more and lower the loft.

I have found that most high quality 1.1 ripstop nylon fabrics will work for quilts. I have had more trouble with leakage on 1.9 that I used for the base of a short UQ than I have with any of the 1.1 fabrics.

There are enough vendors that sell solid color downproof 1.1 that I would agree with Rev to not take a chance and order those but when it comes to camo I would take the chance on a high quality 1.1 ripstop nylon fabric. I have one made out of LW woodland camo that I have no problems with leakage. I suggest making a small pillow out of the material and testing first.

Less feathers in your down = Less leakage with whatever material you use.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    Terms to look for in the 1.1 fabrics are calendaring and dwr.
    "Calendared" is a very important term in the 1.1 nylon fabric. It means the fabric has been heated between rollers. If I understand the process correctly that somewhat fuses the fibers making the weave much denser it normally would be. I would not trust any of the thin wally world discount fabric to be downproof. The price is attractive but when compared to the cost of the down spring for the good stuff. Any of the vendors who are actively used by folks here should be able to tell you if their fabrics are downproof.

DWR might be important or not depending on your level of anal-compulsion and fear of condensation. Durable Water Resistance treatments seem to vary depending on the manufacturer/vendor. Many people prefer untreated fabric for down to reduce/eliminate the possible condensation problems which can reduce the down loft. There are several threads on the forums about vapor barriers and their effect on down and other insulation.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12