Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Mac, thanks for the fast reply. I guess some experimentation will be under way. I lack the underquilt as I'd need 2 and right now $600 is not in the budget for the Incubator's that I want. I'm looking at this as much as a wind/draft cutter along with the 3/8" rubber mat to go with a few 20 degree down bags. If it gets us comfortably into the mid-20's I'll be thrilled!

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG incubator 0
    In my most recent experience winter camping, reflectix has condensation in the form of serious frost. This doesn't get you wet until...it melts.

The best use of reflectix is to block wind from the underside (secondary value) and provide a non-compressible barrier to reduce heat transfer via a heat differential (primary value); which seems to accelerate relative to the amount of pressure applied, thereby decreasing the space (comprised of insulation components) between the two temperatures, i.e. your body and the outside. Since you can't really apply enough body pressure to reflectix to decrease the distance between the two temperature points (body and outside) its true value is equalizing the effects of compression on insulation. The reflection of heat (in my opinion) is a tertiary value. I hope a legion of engineers descend to straighten me out if I'm wrong .

In an aside, reflectix has been hugely useful as an entrance level tool, but I intend to phase its use out, with the exception of small utility pieces.

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789