Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 80
  1. #1
    Senior Member guySmiley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Posts
    374
    Images
    14

    Hanging on the PCT

    I've been reading a ton of material about the PCT lately and it looks to me like the earlier part of it that's desert isn't very conducive to hanging a hammock.

    Has anyone here got any experience trying to thru the PCT with a hammock as their primary shelter? How often did you have to sleep on the ground because there weren't trees or suitable hanging spots available?

  2. #2
    Senior Member titanium_hiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    The Wimmera, Australia
    Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing straps
    Posts
    746
    Images
    18
    I'm not planning to hike the PCT any time soon, but I'd love to know this sort of info.

    I guess you could ground set up your hammock, carry stuff so you can hang from boulders, and pray for trees.

    TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

    gram counter, not gram weenie!

  3. #3
    Senior Member miisterwright's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Portland,OR
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    Posts
    384
    I was going to let others reply that may have more experience, but since no one has.... I'll say that I have not had any problems hanging in the northern parts. I live in Oregon and hike on or intersect the PCT regularly. Washington, Oregon, and Northern California should be great for hanging. I can't say anything about the South, because I haven't been down there.

    Make sure you have plenty of webbing. The trees can be huge.

  4. #4
    Senior Member guySmiley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Posts
    374
    Images
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by titanium_hiker View Post
    I'm not planning to hike the PCT any time soon, but I'd love to know this sort of info.

    I guess you could ground set up your hammock, carry stuff so you can hang from boulders, and pray for trees.

    TH
    I think I'd just ground setup the bugnet/tarp (if necessary) and not bother with the hammock, if I couldn't hang it. What I really want to do is avoid bringing a sleeping pad, but that sounds like it wouldn't be practical.

    I'm taking that long conspicuous silence on an otherwise very active messageboard as an answer or sorts, but thanks for replying!

  5. #5
    Senior Member guySmiley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Posts
    374
    Images
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by mbwtt View Post
    I was going to let others reply that may have more experience, but since no one has.... I'll say that I have not had any problems hanging in the northern parts. I live in Oregon and hike on or intersect the PCT regularly. Washington, Oregon, and Northern California should be great for hanging. I can't say anything about the South, because I haven't been down there.

    Make sure you have plenty of webbing. The trees can be huge.
    Good advice! How long are the straps that you use?

  6. #6
    Senior Member miisterwright's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Portland,OR
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    Posts
    384
    I use 12' straps, but I generally carry about a 100' of mule tape. It's a narrow webbing that is used to pull power lines up. I'm not sure what the breaking strength is, but the local telecommunications company was using it to pull a bucket truck back to the road... up hill. They would have got it too, but the truck was stuck in park. The mule tape didn't fail. It's not all that heavy to carry and is strong. Plus it's webbing so I can use it on trees. It's good stuff.

  7. #7
    Senior Member guySmiley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Posts
    374
    Images
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by mbwtt View Post
    I use 12' straps, but I generally carry about a 100' of mule tape. It's a narrow webbing that is used to pull power lines up. I'm not sure what the breaking strength is, but the local telecommunications company was using it to pull a bucket truck back to the road... up hill. They would have got it too, but the truck was stuck in park. The mule tape didn't fail. It's not all that heavy to carry and is strong. Plus it's webbing so I can use it on trees. It's good stuff.
    My straps are 15', but it sounds like it would be prudent to get some longer ones for the PCT. If you've got any pictures of your suspension when using the mule tape, I'd be interested in seeing that. Are you using it in conjunction with your 12' straps or instead?

  8. #8
    Member Leifo5343's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Hammock
    TTTM KING (short trips) GTN7 (Long)
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    S. Sniv & Hud R.
    Suspension
    SLS with woopies
    Posts
    93
    Are you really using 15' straps or are they 15" straps? Just a wee bit confused.

    ~Leif
    "The nuclear generator of brain sludge is television." By Dave Barry

  9. #9
    Senior Member miisterwright's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Portland,OR
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    Posts
    384
    There really isn't much to see with the mule tape. I just wrap it around a tree that is to large for my stock strap, then clip the carabiner that is on my strap to it. It could be used instead of using the stock strap, and the stock strap could even be added to the one on the other end to add length, but I haven't had to get to crazy with it. I haven't had to use anything, but my normal straps except for in my backyard or at car camping sites where you can't really choose a good place to set up.

  10. #10
    Senior Member guySmiley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Posts
    374
    Images
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Leifo5343 View Post
    Are you really using 15' straps or are they 15" straps? Just a wee bit confused.

    ~Leif
    I currently have 15 foot straps for my suspension. 15 inch straps probably wouldn't be very effective.

Similar Threads

  1. Hanging from a 4x6
    By PATripper in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-15-2013, 05:31
  2. Hanging in PA
    By Hangwell in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-24-2012, 13:42
  3. Hanging at Hanging Rock
    By Bonepile in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-03-2012, 14:07
  4. How's it hanging?
    By Bas B in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-15-2011, 14:02
  5. Hanging
    By ottybuddy in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-13-2009, 11:23

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •