Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    But if, like the OP, you're rolling with a CCF pad and a USGI MSS (both of which are fully functional and will keep you plenty warm) but trying to find a way to make them fit into a frameless ultralight pack, your options are limited.
    +1

Off-topic:
    I've been thinking that an interesting DIY project would be an old Kelty frame with a simpler bag with compression, made with one of the new light fabrics. Those frames weren't that heavy (unlike some of the knockoffs), and there sure were lots of spots to lash light and bulky stuff on to them. I couldn't do that with my 'modern' pack as easily...
    I was on a trip with students when one kid got a mild ache/pain/injury and I ended up with most of the gear stacked onto my Kelty...I was trying to get in shape, anyhow, so it worked out OK.

Hammock
    DIY DL 11'
    Tarp
    DIY SilHex
    Insulation
    OWL UQ & Bag as TQ
    Suspension
    7/64th Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
    +1

Off-topic:
    I've been thinking that an interesting DIY project would be an old Kelty frame with a simpler bag with compression, made with one of the new light fabrics. Those frames weren't that heavy (unlike some of the knockoffs), and there sure were lots of spots to lash light and bulky stuff on to them. I couldn't do that with my 'modern' pack as easily...
    I was on a trip with students when one kid got a mild ache/pain/injury and I ended up with most of the gear stacked onto my Kelty...I was trying to get in shape, anyhow, so it worked out OK.
    I tried to go that route, all I can say is don't try it with the adjustable shoulder suspension on newer models, where the straps ride up and down on the back pad. If you start with the one with the grommet and pin top shoulder strap attachment you will save yourself a whole week of disappointment!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    A Jarbridge UQ from Arrowhead is about $100.
    IMHO, an under quilt is the best thing for staying warm in a hammock. I keep my 20* quilt on all year.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Keep an eye on the For Sale section and be quick on the draw!

Bulk reduction has been the hardest thing I've done in my backpacking experience.

As you noted the UQ/TQ combo are biggies. Don't rule out scrutinizing the rest of your gear as well for low-cost ideas to shrink your kit. If you want to, post a list and we'll give you options.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    I second the jarbidge and the list idea. We can help, if you're willing.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    working on it
    Suspension
    webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by SnrMoment View Post
    A Jarbridge UQ from Arrowhead is about $100.
    IMHO, an under quilt is the best thing for staying warm in a hammock. I keep my 20* quilt on all year.
    How small does one compress?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I don't know exactly, but you can see it on Paul's vid for it on his site.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Doublenest/RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Tewa UQ, Bag as TQ
    Suspension
    Web+Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    The Walmart down 32F bags are great. I got four when they were $35. They pack really small. Not sure they are tru 32 bags but you could use two as a top quilt.
    I'm in pretty much the same situation here in Fort Worth. I like to get out "off-season", but not enough to invest in real winter gear! I use the Walmart bag above as a top quilt without mods; just unzip most of the way and turn over so zipper is on bottom. Use closed end as foot box and shove in some spare clothes or a seat pad if you need extra insulation there.

for a cheap UQ, I was able to buy a summer 3/4 down UQ off this site and I also made a poncho liner UQ. To kick it up a bit, I simply purchased a J.C.Penney down puffer jacket for $18 and spread it out on top of the UQ (no mods, just unzip it and spread it out). This has kept me warm to 20deg in field and below 15deg in backyard testing.

Just keep an eye on Walmart.com and JCP.com for sales and you can be set up 'good enough' for less than $100.

PS: Most items get double duty also. Sleeping bag is great for my 6yr old son when we are together (I use an UL 2man tent when he is with me) and I can take the UQ and wrap it around the bag to keep him really warm in colder temps. The puffer jacket is great for around camp before turning in and when I'm not using it my dog loves the poncho liner folded to four layers to keep him off the ground too. And the inflatable seat I use under my feet doubles as a...wait for it...seat!

Finally, as I've reduced bulk/weight on my other items, I have room to use cheap CCF pads (on ground and sometimes in hammock). They're super light and fit between the main bag and top pocket of my pack. If my pack is really full, I wrap a small piece of tyvek around the foam to protect it from snags and strap to the outside.
    Last edited by wesbri; 02-06-2014 at 13:27. Reason: extended

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Zpacks Asym
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    +1 I can manage a 5 day trip in a 3200li pack. It can be done! Fee l free to ask questions.
    Ground=Cold+Hard+Wet

Solution!!!! Sleep in a TREE

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by redrob View Post
    How small does one compress?
    I don't have a Jarbidge, but made a DIY synthetic quilt of similar size and design a few years ago. It would compress down to the size of a medium watermelon. Maybe a 3 liter bottle of soda (the big one).

Not as small as down, but likely a lot smaller than a synthetic military bag.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12