Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Pros and Cons Dangerbird Vs. Blackbird

Newbie here, I did a quick search but didn't see exactly what I was looking for. Please forgive me if this has been discussed at length already as I am sure it is a comparison that has been drawn often before.

I was pretty sure that I was going to get a Hennessey as that is what one of my camping buddies has. That was until I stumbled on this forum. Now the two top contenders are the Dream Hammock Dangerbird and the Warbonnet Blackbird.

I camp in early spring and late fall in the Adirondack mountains, we see nights down near and sometimes below the 32 degree mark. That being said I was thinking about getting the DL Blackbird so I could use one of my existing ground pads with it. Then I saw the Dangerbird and fact that it is sold as a four season. I don't really consider my camping to be four season but am wondering if it will be that much warmer than the Blackbird?

One final note is obviously overall comfort, I understand this is subjective but any argument for one or the other is welcome. Thanks!!

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I have both, and love both. If I had to pick just one for all hammock camping, I'd go with the DangerBird, because it has the netting and a top cover. I love to zip the top cover part way down so I can sleep later and the sun doesn't wake me up. The top cover is great for keeping in the warmth during cold weather. Also the DangerBird comes with quilt clips that help keep your UQ snugged up. I would get the light weight material (1.0 or 1.1) as with heavier material the hammock will be heavy. Dream Hammocks also has many colors and materials to choose from, so the hammock is more personalized.
    I still love my WBBB DL 1.1 though, and I wish you luck in your gear choice.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for the quick reply!! I wanted to add that I am a shorter camper, medium framed, about 5'5" and 150 lbs.

Hammock
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    You can go for the 10' DangerBird then. I have the 11' and I love it. You will be happy with either one though. Just that I feel the DangerBird is more versatile in different conditions.

Hammock
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by ShellHammock View Post
    I think its silly to call a hammock 4 season with no regard to bottom insulation (other than a few strategically placed hooks to attach an UQ) when bottom insulation is absolutely needed in ALL seasons.

comfort wise, both the DB and BB will be about the same, as they have similar dimensions. the only reason a DB would be warmer is with the integrated top cover. when deployed, it creates a micro climate inside the hammock, heating up with your body heat and respiration throughout the night. for that reason, it is of a breathable material. which case you still need a tarp in 'rainy season'

so the 'all in one' HH (which still needs bottom insulation) is a little more good to go, out of the bag, with the included tarp.

Yeah, but the HH is not near as comfy as a Dream Hammock. I'd rather get a Dream Hammock or WBBB and select my preferred tarp, but that is just me.

In comparing the DB and BB, one aspect often gets overlooked, but played a big part in my decision. The DB has a separate zipper on both sides, while the BB zips only on one side and the BBXLC has one zipper that goes all the way around. The advantage I see in the DB is you can easily enter and exit from either side and it's easier to reach out and adjust the UQ on either side.
    I find the over cover on the DB to be a God send making sub freezing camping much more bearable. you can get the overcover on the BBXLC as well.
    The DB has the netting and Overcover attached. A dream Hammock ThunderBird is the same as the DB but the tops are removable. Personally I like them attached so I don't have to remember what's in the bag from the last time.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    Snipe/Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ / HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch and Whoopies
    hey man greetings from another northern boy!

Keep asking questions and do your research....these guys are great and more than likely your questions have already been asked somewhere.

Im pretty sure the 4 season on the DH is due to the overcover which would be nice

I plan to get a Thunderbird at some point soon for this very reason.

But the BBXLC has it as well and its super sweet looking I just want to customize when I get the money.

Check out Shugs videos on the youtubes...

He has a BB and hes a hardcore 4 season guy and does it his own way for sure...

good luck.
    Last edited by ADKrella; 02-05-2014 at 15:20.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for all of the ideas/information so far!! I x-posted this to the Dream Hammock sub forum too, hope that is ok? So far everybody both here and there have said the same thing for the most part! From what I have seen here and what my limited research has proven, both are excellent quality hammocks, I really like the built in over cover of the Dangerbird but would like to try out the Blackbird to see if the foot box makes a difference. Man so many choices....I don't even want to ask about tarps!!

Hammock
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    The best thing would be to go to a local hang and try out a WBBB and a Dream Hammock, and see what you like.

Is it possible to get additional zippers on the Blackbird XLC?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast