Possibly a Dumb Question...

Okay so hubby & I are planning a 5-day section hike in April. The likelihood of rain is high. We both have 12' Kelty Nah tarps. My question is what is the best option for a packing solution that would also low at least some drying while hiking? They are way too large to just attach to our packs so is there a breathable or draining stuff sack or something else that I am completely missing? I feel as though there is an obvious part of this equation that I'm clearly missing. Could someone clue me in?

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    No seeum tarp skins or double ended stuffsak. Available from mountain goat at outdoortrailgear.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I use a mesh bag but really little drying is going to happen inside folds of water proof material. You can take a sham wow towel and get most of the moisture off. Also set it up during lunch and dry it out if you have a dry spell.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Some backpacks have an exterior mesh pocket for holding wet stuff like your tarp or rain jacket. I usually just give the tarp a good shake before stuffing it in it's stuff sack and then it goes in an exterior pocket. I don't care if the tarp dries, so long as I keep the moisture away from things like quilts and clothing.

Some people carry a heavy plastic bag, like a trash compactor bag, and keep their quilts and clothing (anything that needs to stay dry) in that. Then you can just stuff your tarp or other items in the backpack.

Hammock
    Sierra Madre Ninox
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10/Stratos
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images
    +1 on all of the above. I simply shake mine a bit and stuff it in its sack or snake skins and don't really worry about it. I really wanted to reply to let you know there are never any dumb questions here. Ask away and someone will always be happy to reply. Happy trails on your trip! Those noahs will keep you nice and dry!

Hammock
    11ft Argon 1.6oz, single layer
    Tarp
    Camo SilArgon
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Stop caring quite so much about it being dry and learn to roll/fold it such that the inside remains dry, and pack it such that the rest of your gear does too. It's not going to go mouldy in a day or twos' hiking, especially in cooler weather, nor is it going to dry when packed. Accept that and be happy. (Just remember to dry it before storage at the end of the trip)

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I take my camp towel and wipe down the tarp before packing up. Still a little wet, it goes in the mesh skins with some wetness still, but not so much it drips in the pack, but I do put it in a separate back pocket on my pack. The towel can be clipped to the pack to dry out, which it does easily.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DIY Climbing Spec Hammock
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY RSBTR Kit
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    Yup, you bring a tarp with the notion that it will get wet. You bring a sleeping bag with the notion that it will stay dry. The only thing that you need to worry about drying is your insulation layers if you accidentally get them wet.
    v
    v

TREEfool.com < < hammock dangerously
    ^
    ^

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by awilder View Post
    Some people carry a heavy plastic bag, like a trash compactor bag, and keep their quilts and clothing (anything that needs to stay dry) in that. Then you can just stuff your tarp or other items in the backpack.
    I put the tarp in a 'waterproof' stuff sac as well.
    I agree with folks who say that a folded/stuffed tarp won't dry much in a mesh sac, or strapped to the pack. If the weather is dry a good shake and a few minutes pitched will get it dry, once you get to camp. If it's still raining, just the shake will have to do....

• + New Posts