HHULB
    Tarp
    Stock A-Sym
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Attaching tarp to whoopie slings...

I just had a thought, not sure if it's original or if it will work...I've read about the problems with the prussiks slipping on the amsteel, so my thought is: Do y'all think it work to run a length of amsteel from the tarp attachment point through the non-adjusting portion of the whoopie? In theory you could have an adjustable tarp attachment point when there is no weight on the line, and a non-slip point when weight is applied. I don't think this would reduce strength, but there are greater minds than mine out there. The only problem I see with this is it would increase your minimum hang distance.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Not picturing the arrangement that you're describing.

David

Hammock
    HHULB
    Tarp
    Stock A-Sym
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Instead of using the stock prussik system HH uses, attach a length of amsteel to the tarp ridgeline eyelets, and run that through the hammock ridgeline, kind of like the adjustable portion of a whoopie sling.

Hammock
    HHULB
    Tarp
    Stock A-Sym
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Had a hard time explaining it, so I went ahead and did it! Here is a picture. So far it seems to work pretty well. The only downside is the type of whoopie I made to accommodate this expands my minimum hang distance a little bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Most folks find that the best option is to hang the tarp separate from the hammock suspension. There are a few factors that while it seams like a good idea just end up conspiring agains it working out as well as you would hope. First off when you hang the tarp from the hammocks suspension it is very difficult for you to get the tarp to stay tightly pitched. I had this problem when I was first stating out and trying to make a HH system work for me. What happens is that no matter how tightly you pull the tarp when you load up the hammock your weight changes the angles of the suspension lines and makes the tarp loose as the suspension gets closer together.

Here is a pic from my thread trying to sort this out back in 09

I could never get those wrinkles out of the tarps ridge no matter how tightly I pulled it.

The second issue is that your kinda set into where you pitch the tarp. You can't put it up really high for ventilation as your tarp is stuck with the suspension and to get it any kinda tight it has to be in the neighborhood. You can't pitch it super low for storm protection as you have the same problem in reverse...there is just a small window of pitch where it will work at all.

And now as you have seen trying to mod the suspension changes how close you can work with your trees. To get the most out of your tarp system you're going to be much happier putting it on its own lines. It will pitch better and provide a better shelter. And hey there has been a rumor going around the Hennessy himself quit using the stock tarp system and uses a separate ridge line.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    Th t looks pretty cool! Can you get enough tension to make the tarp RL taut and where does the whoppie attach, on the tree straps? If so same or different toggle?

Edit: I am assuming you are using a custom whoppie for tarp only and not sharing with the hammock
    John aka Suede

Hammock
    HHULB
    Tarp
    Stock A-Sym
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    So far it seems to work really well. It's totally adjustable and doesn't slip. The whoopie slings are extended so that the tarp attachment can be put on the no-adjustable portion of the sling. I attach my whoopies to straps using biners. So far I have had luck with my tarp not sagging by modding the guy-lines with some shock cord. You can even adjust the tarp taught-ness to do the 30* angle hang. It still needs to be field tested though.

Hammock
    HHULB
    Tarp
    Stock A-Sym
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Suede, just saw your edit: I am using the same suspension for tarp and hammock. I realize that most switch to separate suspensions, but I am stubborn. It will probably take wet tarp slapping me in the face at night to finally change

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    I have a hennessy expedition, and I gave up on the attached tarp the third time I used it. I could never keep the tarp tight after I got in the hammock, as pgibson explained. The first couple of times I just dealt with the tarp flapping in the breeze. The third time I had condensation build up on the inside of the tarp and the tarp was resting against the hammock, which got my hammock and sleeping bag wet. I went to a separate suspension for the tarp after that. I also ditched the Hennessey tarp for something a little larger so I have more options in how I set it up.

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Auggy Boy View Post
    Suede, just saw your edit: I am using the same suspension for tarp and hammock. I realize that most switch to separate suspensions, but I am stubborn. It will probably take wet tarp slapping me in the face at night to finally change
    Ahh, I see now. I thought you were using whoopies to replace prussics for adjustability.
    John aka Suede

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast