Underquilt or speeling pad or both?

I've never been hammock camping in cold conditions and I'm wondering how much insulation I'll need. I'm planning a thru-hike of the AT and I'm leaving in March. I don't want to under pack and freeze, but I'm trying to stay away from bringing too much weight. what kind of insulation combo should I bring?
    I've got a DIY uderquilt and a 0 degree bag but would I want a sleeping pad and sleeping bag liner too? I know it all depends on the weather at the time, but will the combining too many things be too much or could I combine just two things and be fine?

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    My suggestion would be to test out your current items along with your sleeping clothing to determine what temp ratings they will take you to. From there you can determine how much and what you will need to make your trip with based on projected temps.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    To get things started, I recommend getting outdoors now and finding out how comfortable your current setup is in lower temps.

Do you have an idea how low your DIY UQ will go? If not, start experimenting

The 0 degree bag should be more than sufficient for your top insulation.
    I'd be more concerned about your bottom insulation.

An UQP (Under Quilt Protector) from 2QZQ would help keep the wind and some of the moisture off you. You can get heat loss from wind blowing thru your quilt. Most (I think) get the breathable version, because the non-breathable version can trap moisture.

You can supplement your UQ with a pad / SPE. I don't have experience on the effectiveness of using the pad with an UQ but I'm sure somebody here does.

What type of tarp do you have? That is another consideration for warmth.

Good luck!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I agree--------every ones body handles the cold differently (and hanging in a hammock in the cold is a whole different ball game compared to sleeping on the ground) I would definitely try it out at home first! You can try your UQ, a pad, both together, add a space blanket, try a hammock sock, try wearing different layers , etc--lots of options out there, just take your time and lots of practice!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

• + New Posts